Damsels in Distress?

A forum for all general Suikoden related topics.
sticky-runes

Damsels in Distress?

Post by sticky-runes »

Suikoden is full of badass females. yet sometimes they still end up being reduced to damsel in distress status and we have to rescue them.

Eileen
She throws darts at people, and has enough magical skill to harm a group of men with the Voice of the Earth spell. How was she taken by Kraze's men? I guess she acquired her weapons and rune after joining up with us so that she could protect herself and her loved ones better in future. Plus even Lepant couldn't handle all of Kraze's guards without our help, so it's understandable she wouldn't try to take them all on by herself.

Tengaar
another lady who comes with projectile weapons and a ton of magic power. Tengaar's situation is completely understandable, though. She wasn't taken by Neclord, she gave herself up to him to save her village, plus Neclord had already defeated her father and his men, plus members of the Liberation army, without taking a scratch. so she prevents any further violence against her people and buys us enough time to get the star dragon sword so we can defeat Neclord.

Lo Wen and Lilly
Lo Wen is a bandit boss, but like with Tengaar, there wasn't much she could do against a powerful vampire. and Lilly was a long way off from becoming a competent fighter.

Shabon
She's just a little girl. A little girl who can punch the crap out of monsters with her bare hands. So why didn't she smack the sh!t out of Guillaume when he started chasing her? Guess she knew what a freak he was and didn't want to make any contact with him.

Millay
She becomes a general in Obel's army. And yet when we first meet her, she threatens to kill herself if Reinbach's men try to touch her. at what point does she realise she has sword skills and could make a worthy bodyguard to stand outside the hero's sleeping quarters?

All the women in the group when we recruit Oulan
Chances are some of these girls helped you traverse the Sindar ruins and kill a gigantic two headed snake, defeated Highland soldiers on the battlefield and killed some of Neclord's monsters. So it's quite silly that they need help fending off a gang of street thugs in an alley.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Re: Damsels in Distress?

Post by Sasarai10 »

I think they did it for Plot reasons obviously.

And as for Shabon's case...it wouldn't make much sense if she beat Guillaume on her own. Plus, she's actually one of the characters who aren't "obviously" strong. Like Nei.
Neclord X

Post by Neclord X »

sticky-runes wrote:All the women in the group when we recruit Oulan
Chances are some of these girls helped you traverse the Sindar ruins and kill a gigantic two headed snake, defeated Highland soldiers on the battlefield and killed some of Neclord's monsters. So it's quite silly that they need help fending off a gang of street thugs in an alley.
Ahhhh, that brings me memories, memories of how you tried to recruit Oulan with Tuta on the party and you wondered all the time "WHY THE fark IT DOESN't WORK?" Until you had enough girls to try with other girls and Oulan is completly underleveled.

Then years later you would know the terrifying truth :cry:
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Neclord X wrote: Ahhhh, that brings me memories, memories of how you tried to recruit Oulan with Tuta on the party and you wondered all the time "WHY THE fark IT DOESN't WORK?" Until you had enough girls to try with other girls and Oulan is completly underleveled.

So I'm not the only one who thought Tuta was a girl.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Neclord X wrote:
Ahhhh, that brings me memories, memories of how you tried to recruit Oulan with Tuta on the party and you wondered all the time "WHY THE fark IT DOESN't WORK?" Until you had enough girls to try with other girls and Oulan is completly underleveled.

Um, that bride #70 would have been toyboy #1? :? Nifsara and the SAPPHIRE gang would have stopped that from going any further.
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

I always believed that Luc and Sasarai are female until I play Suikoden 3 and realize they are demons
My GameFAQs account now is SheenavsKilley
I already closed gildedtalon, my old account
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

gildedtalon wrote:I always believed that Luc and Sasarai are female until I play Suikoden 3 and realize they are demons
Funnily, I thought Sasarai was a girl too in S2, since I didn't know its origin as a name (sounds like Turkish though). Luc is a masculine name, so I always assumed he was a boy.