Man Tears :'(

A forum for all general Suikoden related topics.
sticky-runes

Man Tears :'(

Post by sticky-runes »

I just played the part in suikoden 2 where the little dragon hatches out of the egg and Humphrey gives his "It wouldn't be a betrayal to have a new dragon. My memories of Black's death are precious, but I won't have to forget that. And it's no reason to close the door to the future." speech, and I suddenly started blubbering like a little girl. I've played this game tons of times over the years and this has never happened to me during this scene before. I'm still sniveling while thinking about it. Must have triggered something that happened to me recently, but I don't know what.

Have any of you lot found yourselves reacting strongly to a Suikoden scene without realizing it was affecting you? :cry:
Neclord X

Re: Man Tears :'(

Post by Neclord X »

I remember being actually mad when Nanami dies, back then didn't have any info about the game so when I reached that point I reset and loaded the game like 10 times trying different options in the conversation to see if there was a combination that would save her...After 10 attempt I reset the console with a punch and a "fark it". Wasn't "sad" but really angry.

Also when in SV I nearly cryed, didn't drop a single tear in the en but I was about to do it (that point where you have something on the throat and your eyes bright), right after Lyon resurrects when all your family appears...man, it was so touching.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Last time it was recently when I tried to execute Snowe (when he was in rags and he was finally recruitable). Basically all 3 execution scenes are kinda similar (he expresses how happy he was when you were training together) but for some reason the scene in rags was more touching.
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Post by Wolkendrache »

Actually Suikoden 1 gives me the hardest time in holding back my tears…
It starts after the final battle, when Barbarossa reveals his love for Windy, or for her resemblance to Claudia. I wish I could see Windy’s facial expression when Barbarossa explains that he wasn’t deluded by her magic but rather by love. As someone interested in true runes she should have known that beforehand. Anyway, Barbarossa realizes that his mistakes led to the destruction of the empire, so he’s doing us a last favor by killing himself and Windy. Poor Barbarossa, he’s actually a good guy, but he lost himself after losing his wife.
Then the scene with Viktor and Flik sacrificing their lives for me. Even though I like Viktor more, I found Flik’s scene stronger. I don’t know, maybe because he brought up Odessa, or because I didn’t expect so much loyalty from Flik.
When the hero reaches the exit of the castle, that’s when I still have wet eyes, but could resist shedding a tear. Then comes the final scene when Mathiu dies questioning his life’s deeds while Liukan pays his respects to him. The game is over and my resistance starts failing.
"Within the four seas, all men are brothers" Shuihu Zhuan
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Yeah, first two times we beat Snowe, he's a nobleman and a pirate captain so he's still got some pride left, but killing him when he's reduced to rags with no other followers around, and in front of your other friends from the academy, feels a bit harsh.

The sadness at the end of S1 is well done. I agree that Flik's self sacrifice is more touching than Viktor's. It's one thing having characters that like you and trust you from the first meeting, but having someone who goes from disliking you to respecting you and giving his life so you can rebuild the country is touching for a video game. And the organ music that starts during the character epilogues is a total gut punch.
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

The scenes where I react so strongly:
1.The last stand on Sun Palace where Ferid and Georg fight together
2.Mathiu dies
3.Everybody decides to leave Salum Barows
4.Annabelle dies, about the only time I like Jowy
5.Luca Blight fights

There's a lot more but I don't feel like listing more
My GameFAQs account now is SheenavsKilley
I already closed gildedtalon, my old account
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

sticky-runes wrote:Yeah, first two times we beat Snowe, he's a nobleman and a pirate captain so he's still got some pride left, but killing him when he's reduced to rags with no other followers around, and in front of your other friends from the academy, feels a bit harsh.

The sadness at the end of S1 is well done. I agree that Flik's self sacrifice is more touching than Viktor's. It's one thing having characters that like you and trust you from the first meeting, but having someone who goes from disliking you to respecting you and giving his life so you can rebuild the country is touching for a video game. And the organ music that starts during the character epilogues is a total gut punch.
-Actually only Jewel reacts when you execute him (You see her covering her face with her hand). Also she makes a comment about she's glad that Snowe was alive. The other 3 were indifferent and they were just standing.

- Among characters ending sequences, SII made me blow some tears, but the reason was just the music itself.
Neclord X

Post by Neclord X »

Any of you have ever tried to say Lyon "I don't trust you"(or whatever don't remember the exact line) after you scape from the capital?

Try it, its priceless, Georg and Sialeeds will make you feel SO bad for telling her that, that you won't ever think again into picking that option. They will make you feel so bad for bulling Lyon that you would rather have your parents slap you than picking the option again XDDD
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Neclord X wrote:Any of you have ever tried to say Lyon "I don't trust you"(or whatever don't remember the exact line) after you scape from the capital?

Try it, its priceless, Georg and Sialeeds will make you feel SO bad for telling her that, that you won't ever think again into picking that option. They will make you feel so bad for bulling Lyon that you would rather have your parents slap you than picking the option again XDDD
Obviously, I've done it. I'm not fond of her as I've stated multiple times, and yeah I remember when Georg and Sialeeds told me.

Damn I'd rather if it happened like this. If you pick "I don't trust you option", Lyon leaves your party permanently and someone else replaces her and her Star as well later. Maybe Dolph perhaps? I know he's a major antagonist but he's way better than Lyon. But as an assassin he was supposed to have no loyalties, and he'd accept your offer if you paid him his fee.
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

Nanami's "death" speech always gets me. "And I'm glad ... we were all ... together..."
AlOnZo

Post by AlOnZo »

Anytime the Theme of Sadness plays in Suikoden 1. That is one sad guitar and tugs at the ol' heart strings.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

AlOnZo wrote:Anytime the Theme of Sadness plays in Suikoden 1. That is one sad guitar and tugs at the ol' heart strings.
Dang... Dang... Dang Dang... Da-Da-Dang....
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

I think I figured out why the baby dragon scene affected me. At the end of suikoden 1, we know that Futch and Humphrey go off searching for a new dragon, and when we meet them in the Highway village they are continuing that quest, and Futch describes to Kent what it will be like when he does get a new dragon and they can go flying together. Then when they do finally discover a new dragon Futch admits that he doesn't actually want a new dragon. He's been pretending the whole time that he will fly on a dragon again, not wanting to disappoint his friends who have been so supportive of him regaining his honor as a dragon knight, thinking that it means everything to him.

I've been in that situation several times, including very recently, when I've been going along with something, pretending that I'm enthusiastic about it and that it's all going to work out in my favour, and not wanting to let down the people who are supporting me, then turning around at the last minute admitting that I don't want it.

Obviously my situations were a lot more mundane than what an apprentice dragon knight in a fantasy world has been through, but seeing a character go through that experience affected me quite deeply. And Humphrey's (cruel but kind) response is that Futch is not betraying anyone by taking a new dragon. He's got the chance to start a new chapter in his life. In my experience, i had the opportunity to start a new chapter, but it wasn't the right one for me, so I turned it down. and the people around me respected that decision. So it worked out ok for me as well.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Damn, replaying Suikoden 5 right now and I forgot how emotionally charged this game is.

I got quite bleary eyed during the event where Marina admits that she drugged Belcoot's food to make him lose the contest because she couldn't stand the thought of him marrying the princess and being out of her reach forever... Girl, I know how you feel. If I had access to illegal drugs I'd probably use them to stop someone I like from leaving my grasp ( :shock: )
Heptade

Post by Heptade »

I didn't really like Gremio, but that music drove me to tears...

But V is probably the game that made me cry the most. So many emotional scenes in this game:

There are the obvious ones, such as Galleon's flashback to the last moments of Arshtat and Ferid (especially Arshtat's reaction to Ferid's death), Roy's death (if you made the wrong choice), Sialeeds' death, etc. Strangely, I also found Gizel's death to be very sad. But I think the one scene that got to me the most was the duel with Miakis: Miakis had been mostly a comic relief character, and it seemed like she would always be happy. Seeing her emotionally broken was utterly tragic.

Special mention to Brandeau's arc in Tactics, made much more powerful if one played IV beforehand. Great example of why I think IV and Tactics should be played as if they were two discs of the same game, as if Tactic's battle system was a fourth combat mode, next to regular fights, duels, and naval battles. Each game benefits so much from the other. Separately, each feels incomplete, but together, they make a game fully worthy of the Suikoden name.