Suikoden 1 was always my favourite

A forum for all general Suikoden related topics.
Tirriou

Suikoden 1 was always my favourite

Post by Tirriou »

Even though it was basic graphically and very short.

I just liked the Dunan region the most, Gregminister was amazing, the deaths of characters meant I wanted them to survive, it had my favourite castle though it was simple and I really like the Kobolds which didnt get much use in future games as well as the Elves and Dwarfs.

I suppose its because it had a more castle based storyline than the sequel which had towns and cities instead.

Though the graphics were worse I prefer the colour scheme as 2 was too bright for me.

Things I did miss though was the run feature, the little jumping animation when you recruit a character, more rune slots and that you had a party items item slot.

Shame 2 is hard to emulate though without extreme tearing (I own the original discs from multiple regions)
sticky-runes

Re: Suikoden 1 was always my favourite

Post by sticky-runes »

Kobolds got a lot more fleshing out in Suikoden 2.

Dwarves made a huge comeback in Suikoden 5.

There were some great death scenes in Suikoden 1, I'll agree with you there. Ted's final scene in Seek Valley is still one of the biggest tearjerkers in RPG history. And the music that we hear during all the sad scenes is timeless.

And I would like to have been able to use Cleo and Eileen in other games, because they are two awesome characters that i miss a lot.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Yeah i've played it many times and i did EVERYTHING on it. Basically there's nothing more to do there i believe i did everything in S1. Talked to everyone, even to NPC, after each arc, collecting all items available, seeing all wounded/death lines...well i believe i pushed the limits.

Anyway yeah i believe a SI remastered version would be nice. SI lacked some features later games had. And war battles were a little bit boring imo. SII had much better war battles. Although what i hated in SII was when each battle was over after some turns,except the final battle and the battle in Greenhill if you go with Kiba's group.
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Post by Wolkendrache »

sticky-runes wrote:There were some great death scenes in Suikoden 1, I'll agree with you there. Ted's final scene in Seek Valley is still one of the biggest tearjerkers in RPG history. And the music that we hear during all the sad scenes is timeless.
Yes, I found the S1 music themes more catching in general, except for the intro. The scene with Liukan and Mathiu on his death bed always gets me.
I guess S1 is more tragic: even in the best possible ending you lost Ted, Odessa, your daddy and Mathiu, plus supposedly Viktor and Flik; compared to S2’s Anabelle, Kiba and maybe Ridley.

Imagine S1 had the same length as S2, meaning everything is fleshed-out a bit more (story and characters etc), and it had all S2 gameplay and graphic features, then I’d probably prefer S1 over S2. Maybe, I’m not sure. What about you guys?
"Within the four seas, all men are brothers" Shuihu Zhuan
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

We've all been wanting a remake of suikoden 1, with extra rune slots and better mechanics, and some behind-the-scenes moments with the imperials, so we can find out stuff like how teo reacts when he finds out his son is a traitor. But then, any one of the games could be improved to the point it gets better than all the others if it was treated well.
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

I only want Georg to show up
My GameFAQs account now is SheenavsKilley
I already closed gildedtalon, my old account
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

Adding 3 Rune slots would make it necessary to rework huge parts of the game. A huge number of combat and support Runes would need to be added, and ARM/HP ratings on enemies would have to be severely upgraded.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Re: Suikodaen 1 was always my favourite

Post by Sasarai10 »

Wolkendrache wrote:
Imagine S1 had the same length as S2, meaning everything is fleshed-out a bit more (story and characters etc), and it had all S2 gameplay and graphic features, then I’d probably prefer S1 over S2. Maybe, I’m not sure. What about you guys?
SI same length as SII? Hell no...i've tried to rush both games and SII was almost twice longer than SI.

Personally i prefer SII a little bit more. The story was more touching to me anyway, and it was more completed like a full circle. I mean after the events are over, the 3 friends are back together and start their lives all over again.
gildedtalon wrote:I only want Georg to show up
Then we have to remove Kage since they share the same star. Unless we do "recruit either Georg or Kage". Where Georg supposed to be in SI events?
sticky-runes wrote:We've all been wanting a remake of suikoden 1, with extra rune slots and better mechanics, and some behind-the-scenes moments with the imperials, so we can find out stuff like how teo reacts when he finds out his son is a traitor. But then, any one of the games could be improved to the point it gets better than all the others if it was treated well.
Yeah SI lacked of "meanwhile" scenes from the enemy side. And it was pretty rushed especially at the end of the game.
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

Georg doesn't have to be a Star. He could be an optional recruit like McDohl in S2.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

wataru14 wrote:Georg doesn't have to be a Star. He could be an optional recruit like McDohl in S2.
But....how? OK i understand about McDohl,he was a Tenkai and he was more like some extra feature.

But how Georg could fit into a non-Star role? Non-Stars are usually characters like dogs,squirells and DoReMi elves... :roll:
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

Sasarai10 wrote:Non-Stars are usually characters like dogs,squirells and DoReMi elves... :roll:
Or Jowy, Ted, Odessa, Sialeeds, Lulu...
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

wataru14 wrote:
Or Jowy, Ted, Odessa, Sialeeds, Lulu...
In other words Georg either will die or become a traitor... :|
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

What I mean is that non-stars can still have a great effect on the story and not just be novelty collectable characters.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

It could be that Georg was busy doing other things during events in Suikoden 1. There are artworks of him standing alongside the Imperial generals, so there's a chance he could be in a prologue/spin-off story, but not part of the Liberation Army. for all we know he could have been far away in some other land fighting another war while the Gate Rune War was happening.
ENDmyinitials

Post by ENDmyinitials »

I want to add Georg in the suikoden side story of the war of succession .