Chris sprite help

A forum for all general Suikoden related topics.
gulaman

Chris sprite help

Post by gulaman »

Hi. I am trying to make a sprite of Chris Lightfellow (it was also my first attempt at making a sprite) and I am having a hard time with it.
I know it's messy but what is bugging me is the hair. Any suggestions to make it look more like Chris?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sticky-runes

Re: Chris sprite help

Post by sticky-runes »

try making her fringe a bit lower and a bit more rounded, so that is curls to just below her eyes. Maybe extending the sides of the skirt by a pixel or 2 will help make her look more feminine.
gulaman

Post by gulaman »

How about this one?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

skirt looks better. I think the hair still needs to curl into her face a bit more. Try making the hair look a bit more circular.
ENDmyinitials

Post by ENDmyinitials »

I think you should work on the hair and hands a bit. But she looks good so far. I can help if you if you want.
gulaman

Post by gulaman »

ENDmyinitials wrote:I think you should work on the hair and hands a bit. But she looks good so far. I can help if you if you want.
Yes, the hair is my biggest issue, as you and sprite have said.
I really do not want to completely redo the hair, but it would seems that way.
If you could, then any help is appreciated.

By the way, I love your SuikodenIV sprites...

PS: How do I post the pictures without having to attach them?
ENDmyinitials

Post by ENDmyinitials »

gulaman wrote:
ENDmyinitials wrote:I think you should work on the hair and hands a bit. But she looks good so far. I can help if you if you want.
Yes, the hair is my biggest issue, as you and sprite have said.
I really do not want to completely redo the hair, but it would seems that way.
If you could, then any help is appreciated.

By the way, I love your SuikodenIV sprites...

PS: How do I post the pictures without having to attach them?
thank you :) trying to mimic the suikoden 2 style isn't easy, but it's fun. I don't think you have to redo the entire hair. I think onto it's a bit flat. I love the skirt you made for her. You should definitely help me out with some suikoden 4 sprites.

I will definitely look at your chris. I don't have a pc or laptop of my own atm (that's why no updates on suiko 4 demake) but I'll be at the library tomorrow. I will look at it while I'm there. And about attachments.. I go on postimg.org and I click on the middle section. I have to look at it again to tell you the right one.
gulaman

Post by gulaman »

thank you :) trying to mimic the suikoden 2 style isn't easy, but it's fun. I don't think you have to redo the entire hair. I think onto it's a bit flat. I love the skirt you made for her. You should definitely help me out with some suikoden 4 sprites.
Yes, it is tough. This one took me almost one day and its only the front.
The skirt was a hit or miss thing, it was sticky-rune who suggested to make it wider
Well, i don't know if I'm good enough for your team, as I said this is my first attempt at making sprites. But I'll try to keep practicing. Maybe I'll actually be good at it.
I will definitely look at your chris. I don't have a pc or laptop of my own atm (that's why no updates on suiko 4 demake) but I'll be at the library tomorrow. I will look at it while I'm there. And about attachments.. I go on postimg.org and I click on the middle section. I have to look at it again to tell you the right one.
Thanks. I'll try making the other Zexen knights while waiting yours.
ENDmyinitials

Post by ENDmyinitials »

I took a look at her today and notice she is a pixel taller than suikoden 2 sprites. I am not sure if you're doing custom suikoden sprites (I would recommend you do) but if you do plan on following the formula of a suikoden 2 sprite it has to be the same high. I know suikoden has different height sizes, but in the end riou who is a youth is shorter than viktor who is an adult because the placement of the eyes, hair, etc. This doesn't include small children like tuta. I'm not sure if I am making sense but I can show you a graph.

When I was working on suikoden 4 sprites using the suikoden 2 formula it was very tough. Recently I made a new custom suikoden sprite and I can finish sprites within a few minutes.

Here try chris on the female template I created Image
screenshot

I also have suikodem 2 templates for creating females and males. I had to create that in order to create sprites for suikoden 4 demake. I don't have it with me atm that's why I haven't been working on suiko 4 demake (it's on my laptop in nyc).
gulaman

Post by gulaman »

That's odd. I did base my sprite to that of Sierra's. And it seemed that my Chris is a pixel shorter than Sierra due to the hair.

Anyway, good custom sprites... I also tried to make one based on Tir but I haven't used it yet.
I'll try using your sprites after I attempt on doing Borus (who is harder than Chris because I have no reference so I do not really know how his hair looks like from the front).
ENDmyinitials

Post by ENDmyinitials »

gulaman wrote:That's odd. I did base my sprite to that of Sierra's. And it seemed that my Chris is a pixel shorter than Sierra due to the hair.

Anyway, good custom sprites... I also tried to make one based on Tir but I haven't used it yet.
I'll try using your sprites after I attempt on doing Borus (who is harder than Chris because I have no reference so I do not really know how his hair looks like from the front).
Good catch gulaman. I apologize for making that mistake. To be honest with you I think you chris is good. I was messing around wit her and changed a few things, but yours is good.

The best reference would be an artwork. That's usually my reference when I'm spriting them. You should definitely give me a hand with suiko 4 sprites :)
gulaman

Post by gulaman »

To be honest with you I think you chris is good. I was messing around wit her and changed a few things, but yours is good.
Thanks. There are still some things to be done that I somehow forgot like her inner skirt...
The best reference would be an artwork. That's usually my reference when I'm spriting them.
I also use artworks as reference, however I am split with some of the depictions. For example, the official portrait and most fan works have an exaggerated curve for his hair bangs. The suikoden III intro, on the other hand, not so much.

Doesn't really matter much right now, though, sinceboth hairstyles are really hard to make...
You should definitely give me a hand with suiko 4 sprites :)
Still don't think I'm good enough but I'll take this as a compliment.
gulaman

Post by gulaman »

Any comments on Borus?
gulaman

Post by gulaman »

Fixed Borus' height
ENDmyinitials

Post by ENDmyinitials »

gulaman wrote:Image

Fixed Borus' height
I really love Borus. He came out really good. Try out Percy next. The more you do the more comfortable you will feel.