Suikoden IV Reboot-Demake

A forum for all general Suikoden related topics.
ENDmyinitials

Re: Suikoden IV Reboot-Demake

Post by ENDmyinitials »

To answer your question wolk, I'm not a random suikoden fan boy who would like to see more suikodens, even though I do want that, but I'm a spriter who has been spriting since 2006. I have a lot of experience to make the graphic appear somewhat like suikoden 1 and 2. I might change things here and there graphic wise, but I will take criticism to improve. I want this to be a website project. Something to host on suikosource. Suikosource has been a loyal site, I think it deserves it's on projects, not cRapp projects though. I wouldn't remake 3, or 5. I just think 4 was rushed and mishandled. It's still a great game.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

I'll be a suggester or consultant or something, I don't want to be too heavily relied upon. Feel free to PM me any ideas you might want help with if you don't want to put too much info on the thread.
BrucePrintscreen

Post by BrucePrintscreen »

Wolkendrache wrote:
Raww Le Klueze wrote:
ENDmyinitials wrote:Also since ted is in the game I was thinking about Windy, and Yuber?
Ted hasn't encountered Windy since the destruction of his village when they meet in Gregminster, if you're trying to stay close to canon there's no way they can interact.
Most Suikoden fangames have failed primarily because of bad story-telling, canon-raping, and non-Suikostyle conversations; only secondarily because of graphic and gameplay flaws. Please don’t make your project fail by making the same mistake. On the one hand you’re safe if you just remake the S4 content, but on the other hand S4 could really need some extension or improvements. (I’d stick to sticky-runes, who knows S4 by heart, has great ideas, and a good flair of how to integrate them without breaking canon.) Anyway, take care when adding something new. I hope everything works out well!
This. Exactly this. Wolkendrache has summarised it very well.
ENDmyinitials

Post by ENDmyinitials »

Guys don't worry, it's just a demake of suikoden iv... 0.0
BrucePrintscreen

Sorry mate, we have seen so many projects failing, we have become prompt to talk about that :) No one means you are going to make the same mistakes, as someone said earlier this is probably the most viable fanmade project we have seen here, by far!
ENDmyinitials

Post by ENDmyinitials »

Lol, thanks Bruce. What makes suikoden hard is 108 characters.
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Post by Wolkendrache »

ENDmyinitials wrote:To answer your question wolk, I'm not a random suikoden fan boy who would like to see more suikodens, even though I do want that, but I'm a spriter who has been spriting since 2006. I have a lot of experience to make the graphic appear somewhat like suikoden 1 and 2. I might change things here and there graphic wise, but I will take criticism to improve. I want this to be a website project. Something to host on suikosource. Suikosource has been a loyal site, I think it deserves it's on projects, not cRapp projects though. I wouldn't remake 3, or 5. I just think 4 was rushed and mishandled. It's still a great game.
I can’t find a question or anything your answer fits to, but yes, it’s a good idea to present and discuss your project on suikosource.

Graphic-wise, I have no doubts so far that your project will be great. Your sprites are awesome. I’m looking forward to see S2-style redesigns of S4 maps (like towns and dungeons).

Gameplay-wise, I think there’s a lot to improve from S4. In case you haven’t read it yet (you probably have), the review thread in the S4 section gives a lot of information.

Story-wise, I agree to your perception that S4 was rushed and mishandled. Many characters need more elaboration. I’ll try to repeat it more careful: one should not mess up canon and should be careful when adding new/unseen story elements. :wink:
ENDmyinitials wrote:Lol, thanks Bruce. What makes suikoden hard is 108 characters.
Players would say "What makes Suikoden GOOD is 108 characters"
"Within the four seas, all men are brothers" Shuihu Zhuan
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

He's a spriter, doing 108 playable characters of which the majority is usable in battle + NPCs (three different races) + monsters. Only having 4 main characters would be a lot easier. :D Fortunatley, most monsters are just recoloured versions, so there are maybe only ten or 15 different monsters to design and colour them differently.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

so, are music and sound effects at least going to be used directly from the games? Or, do you happen to have your own orchestra to work with as well?
ENDmyinitials

Post by ENDmyinitials »

Wolkendrache wrote:
ENDmyinitials wrote:To answer your question wolk, I'm not a random suikoden fan boy who would like to see more suikodens, even though I do want that, but I'm a spriter who has been spriting since 2006. I have a lot of experience to make the graphic appear somewhat like suikoden 1 and 2. I might change things here and there graphic wise, but I will take criticism to improve. I want this to be a website project. Something to host on suikosource. Suikosource has been a loyal site, I think it deserves it's on projects, not cRapp projects though. I wouldn't remake 3, or 5. I just think 4 was rushed and mishandled. It's still a great game.
I can’t find a question or anything your answer fits to, but yes, it’s a good idea to present and discuss your project on suikosource.

Graphic-wise, I have no doubts so far that your project will be great. Your sprites are awesome. I’m looking forward to see S2-style redesigns of S4 maps (like towns and dungeons).

Gameplay-wise, I think there’s a lot to improve from S4. In case you haven’t read it yet (you probably have), the review thread in the S4 section gives a lot of information.

Story-wise, I agree to your perception that S4 was rushed and mishandled. Many characters need more elaboration. I’ll try to repeat it more careful: one should not mess up canon and should be careful when adding new/unseen story elements. :wink:
ENDmyinitials wrote:Lol, thanks Bruce. What makes suikoden hard is 108 characters.

Antimatzist wrote:
He's a spriter, doing 108 playable characters of which the majority is usable in battle + NPCs (three different races) + monsters. Only having 4 main characters would be a lot easier. :D Fortunatley, most monsters are just recoloured versions, so there are maybe only ten or 15 different monsters to design and colour them differently.
Haha, wish someone else here was a spriter, would take a bit of the work off my shoulders :p but Im going to focus on the first party (not 4, its going to be a 6 party). The starting party will be Lazlo, Tal, Ken, Paula, and Jewel, instead limiting the players to choose two out of four. And thanks for the tip, lol. I didn't know most of them were recolors.|

Here's an update :Image
imagur
sticky-runes wrote:so, are music and sound effects at least going to be used directly from the games? Or, do you happen to have your own orchestra to work with as well?
If some one can help me fine all the sound effect for suikoden with the proper names, that would be GREAT! I rather not make my own music and sound effects. I will make sure to have custom portraits though.
Last edited by ENDmyinitials on Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BrucePrintscreen

:o

Dude, you are awesome! Don't stop!
ENDmyinitials

Post by ENDmyinitials »

:)Thanks a lot, I'm glad you like them. Next up Tal, and Ken!
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Lazlo's uniform looks pretty good, maybe make the shorts a bit more light browny-yellow? They look a bit green at the moment.

Chiepoo is starting to look a bit more kitty now, but the dark eyes look a bit alien, maybe go for an amber tint? The white gleam is a nice touch, i think.

Jewel looks a bit like Starvin Marvin, could you widen her a little bit? (try looking at Eilie's sprite from S2)

Paula looks perfect!
ENDmyinitials

Post by ENDmyinitials »

Haha thanks for the feedback, I thought Jewel was a bit skinny. Which Lazlo uniform are you referring to? I just fixed Jewel, and Chiepoo
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

The trainee knight uniform, not the casual outfit.