Suikoden IV Reboot-Demake

A forum for all general Suikoden related topics.
ENDmyinitials

Re: Suikoden IV Reboot-Demake

Post by ENDmyinitials »

No I'm sorry but I'm not ripping images, custom-made :) I will use suikoden 1 and 2 as reference to help me with the tileset style.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Oh right, sorry, I thought you meant you were going to use textures from S1 and 2 like a lot of others do. Good to hear you're doing it all from scratch then. :)

PS: Will the character portraits all be freshly drawn as well?
ENDmyinitials

Post by ENDmyinitials »

That's a great question, I will have to say yes to that! What I made by the maps is that I want to keep the same style as suikoden 1 and 2. That will be challenging trying to achieve thqt, but fun. I'm also thinking if I should make the characters static of moton in battle when they stand.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

well you've got quite a lot of work to get done as it is, so I think we can get over stiff characters when they're not moving in combat. some blowing hair and drapery might be nice, though!
Suikoden 4 had a lot of clones, so will you be doing palette swaps with your sprites, or will you come up with all new poses for each character?
ENDmyinitials

Post by ENDmyinitials »

I think every character should have different poses that relates to their weapon like in suikoden 2. I think blending the events of tactics with suikoden 4 would be great.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Will Tal also backflip in combat? :P

Ah ok so you want to bring back SML, I thought you wanted to do something different (similar to the RPG Maker game Exit Fate, which uses a similar but more refined system, a bit like the formation system in Suikoden V)
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

I've always loved the idea of seeing Lazlo and Snowe when they first join the academy and meet Tal and the others for the first time.
Perhaps a glimpse of Sir Troy and Colton at the Graska palace or something!

One thing that always bothered me about Suikoden 4 is that Warlock was never given any proper screen time, even though he is the person who summoned the giant tree and is responsible for the creation of Rune Cannons, he just felt like a random unimportant character in the game, so giving Warlock some key scenes would be a nice touch.
ENDmyinitials

Post by ENDmyinitials »

Wow yea warlock's absence does sound disappointing. Well, I could use a few writers who would like to include scenes not presented in suikoden IV, that you guys wanted.

But on a more important note...
photo uploading
Those are the two styles that I chose to work with. Right now I have mix feelings, and so does some people on which one I should go with. If I do the smaller ones, I can work fast, if I do the bigger ones, it will take me some time. Obviously the big ones relate to the suikoden sprites, buit the smaller ones I tried to keep the suikoden style, but smaller.
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Post by Wolkendrache »

The big ones. I'd say let's go the whole hog. The smaller ones would be a setback from even S1 to the times of Lufia. Only one for the hero is enough for overworld traveling, which actually doesn't exist in S4, but you wanted to add that if I got that right. I'd like to help you, but unfortunately I've no experience in spriting and programming in general.
"Within the four seas, all men are brothers" Shuihu Zhuan
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

The second ones look kinda cute and well made, but I would prefer the first ones as well.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

The taller designs make more sense. Proportions are pretty important to Suikoden's huge variety of characters. Suikoden Tierkreis had stumpy little polygons with no proportions whatsoever and I found it horrible to look at.
ENDmyinitials

Post by ENDmyinitials »

Do you mean like tall and short, or skinny and fat? That can be done with the small ones :p
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

yeah, but they're still gonna look stumpy. it's your project, so if you prefer to work with the little sprites its up to you, but more proportionate is better. The fact that the characters in Suikoden 4 look how they are intended to look according to their designs is one of the games best qualities, after all.
ENDmyinitials

Post by ENDmyinitials »

I rather cast a vote. I'll do which ever. The tall ones are more suikoden like.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

You could try showing us some more characters in sprite form (either version). Show some diversity, like Dario with his fat belly, Lino with his muscular arms, Paula with her elf ears. We already have an idea of how Lazlo, Jeane and the nay kobolds look in sprite form because of Suikoden 4's loading animations, so it would be nice to see some characters we haven't seen 2d versions of before.