Any characters you changed your mind about?

A forum for all general Suikoden related topics.
sticky-runes

Any characters you changed your mind about?

Post by sticky-runes »

We've spoken about characters we love, and characters we hate. But are there any characters you did not like at first, and then had a change of heart towards them later on? Or, characters you used to like, but then later on decided they're not that great after all? Maybe you felt one way about them during your first play of the game, but on replaying you got to rethink their situation, or maybe you read something about them that made an impression on you.

For example, I used to dislike Chiepoo because I thought he was just an excuse to have something cute and comical, but after reading what some people on here have written about him, I came round to appreciating Chiepoo. And I do like how the quest guild in Tactics gives us some control over how he achieves his goal of becoming a successful merchant.

I also used to hate Toma because he reminded me of Chaco (who I still don't like) but Toma does acknowledge that the Prince doesn't sit around complaining about his problems, he just gets on with the fight, and Toma feels inspired by that, so it's good that we get to be a positive influence on a youngster. And I like the idea of him training as a Queens Knight who will eventually serve under Lymsleia.
gildedtalon

Re: Any characters you changed your mind about?

Post by gildedtalon »

Used to like but not anymore: Pesmerga, Jowy, Geddoe, Luca Blight
My GameFAQs account now is SheenavsKilley
I already closed gildedtalon, my old account
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

I can understand Pesmerga, but why the other guys?
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

Can't remember the reasons
veriaqa

Post by veriaqa »

Not hate, but at first I didn't notice Viki at all. She was just the teleport girl to me. But since the third game when we got two Vikis, all changed. And after some research on Viki, she is my favourite character now. I believe her existance in Suikoverse is very important, game wise and story wise.
I've came with an army who loves death like Yours loves live.
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Post by Wolkendrache »

I hated Flik because he blamed those, who tried hard to protect Odessa, for her death, and also because of his ambitions to become the leader which turned out to be unjustified. Then when he "sacrificed" himself along with Viktor, I felt "wow, he's got a twist of mind!". I could expect a sacrifice from a guy like Viktor, who was amiable right from the start, but Flik's twist was exceedingly awesome! He said something like "this country needs a leader like you" iirc. Epic!
gildedtalon wrote:Can't remember the reasons
Classic! :lol:
gildedtalon: "Yesterday Leknaat appeared and asked me to choose between an excellent memory and a rare Suikoden article."
sticky-runes: "What did you choose?"
gildedtalon: "Can't remember."
"Within the four seas, all men are brothers" Shuihu Zhuan
BrucePrintscreen

Post by BrucePrintscreen »

Back when I first played the game I thought Neclord was pretty good as a villain. Now I think he's lame and his whole part of the game should have been absent.

I used to not think too much about Tengaar but recently I thought she was really great and underrated character. Gameplay wise too, actually.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

gildedtalon wrote:Used to like but not anymore: Pesmerga, Jowy, Geddoe, Luca Blight
Everyone on this list, except for Geddoe.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

When i first played S2 over 10 years ago (haven't played S1 by the time) i thought that Flik was ultra-cool and powerful...and when he joined the party for the first time in Kyaro,i was bouncing :lol:
Now i just find him average.

Also i hated Jowy at first because i thought that he was an annoying dude who follows you around everywhere,but then when he betrayed you i started to like him.

And Jowy was the only one i liked among the Hero's pals from each game.

Lyon,Gremio,Nanami,etc were always ANNOYING :x
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

I hated Flik because he blamed those, who tried hard to protect Odessa, for her death, and also because of his ambitions to become the leader which turned out to be unjustified. Then when he "sacrificed" himself along with Viktor, I felt "wow, he's got a twist of mind!". I could expect a sacrifice from a guy like Viktor, who was amiable right from the start, but Flik's twist was exceedingly awesome! He said something like "this country needs a leader like you" iirc. Epic!
I didn't like Flik much at first either. But for me it's the moment where you choose to spare Milich and have him join, Viktor argues with you, and Flik says "It's the leader's decision." Holy crap, Flik accepts me as a leader!!! (we don't get that little outcome if we choose to kill Milich)
Although Flik did lose his appeal in the second game. He's fully matured by then, and his moments with Nina in the tower just suck. What was great about him in S1 is that we witnessed him growing up and struggling to cope with Odessa's death during the story, but three years later, it's like "Change the record." :roll:
Back when I first played the game I thought Neclord was pretty good as a villain. Now I think he's lame and his whole part of the game should have been absent.

I used to not think too much about Tengaar but recently I thought she was really great and underrated character. Gameplay wise too, actually.
I like Neclord in S1. Vampires created by runes - sure, why not. And he's part of Viktor's background and we got introduced to the Night Rune. I could also appreciate Neclord's alliance with Windy. But in S2 Neclord just felt like filler. Really didn't need all that Sierra crap.

Tengaar is awesome, though. Didn't like her at first, but she goes from being a whiny brat to giving herself up to save her village. And she's become a badass fighter in a village where women aren't supposed to fight. Gotta love the fact she ends up with the village's most unconfident warrior!
Also i hated Jowy at first because i thought that he was an annoying dude who follows you around everywhere,but then when he betrayed you i started to like him.

And Jowy was the only one i liked among the Hero's pals from each game.

Lyon,Gremio,Nanami,etc were always ANNOYING :x
Jowy used to make me cringe. I was like, I don't wanna be rescued from Viktor's fort, f#ck off! But kudos to him for trying to resolve a conflict by marrying into a royal family and then bumping them off, while I'm running around with circus freaks and scruffy homeless people.
bluemask

Post by bluemask »

For me, I'd say Elenor (although my memory of her is kinda fuzzy). I used to hate her because she was so self-centered and was way annoying during the recruitment phase and she wasn't that awesome during the first few missions. Although during the battle on the Fort, she was like some hero who had finally found the real meaning of her existence or something.

Another would be Grenseal/Alen. Every time you talk to them, their reason for joining is because of Teo. I hate them because they're like forced SoD at all lol. Although losing my hate over them is more on the technical because they're awesome fighters.

For the ones that I started liking but turned to hate (more like disappointed), only Futch I can think off the top of my head. He was a promising lad in 1 and 2 but in 3, he's become some lame bodyguard who can't take care of his own sh*t. LOL.

Characters that I still hate but won't change: Krin, Hoi, Snowe, Esmeralda
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Aw, I like grown up Futch. It was in S2 he was boring and pretty unremarkable fighter. And he takes that little white dragon and we never see it again during the whole game.
bluemask

Post by bluemask »

^ Guess, I can't deny that... He is more independent and mature in S3 (sorry for calling him lame :P). I think it's his decreasing level of participation which made me disappointed with him, not his personality or character.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

bluemask wrote:^ Guess, I can't deny that... He is more independent and mature in S3 (sorry for calling him lame :P). I think it's his decreasing level of participation which made me disappointed with him, not his personality or character.

I wonder how Humphrey would look like in S3 if he was there. I believe he might end up being a cooker by the time :lol:
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

Humphrey is Arnold Schwarzenegger. I like grown up Futch as well coz he's so powerful and eats Yuber with 1-2 strikes in strategy battles