Any characters you changed your mind about?

A forum for all general Suikoden related topics.
wataru14
Guide Writer

Re: Any characters you changed your mind about?

Post by wataru14 »

Humphrey is one character I changed my mind about from a gameplay perspective.

In Suikoden 1 I used him once and thought, "Oh great, another slow as hell short-range fighter who can't hit anything. He'll get along great with the 12 others I've already got." I used to dread using him in Seek Valley. Flik, Cleo, and Valeria knocked off one Crystal Core shard each per turn. Then comes Humphrey, hitting for normal damage (after the party got smacked by the inner core's fire attack and was close to death). Dum dee dum dum. I couldn't even use him as a Medicine machine because he was so slow. Milia was dead weight too, but at least she could toss Mega Medicines around before the party got nuked.

Then Suikoden 2 came along. Whoo boy! Windspun Armor boots his SPD, his TEC isn't super sucky, and he absolutely wrecks what he hits. Then I had him beat Luca Blight by himself and the deal was sealed. Humphrey never leaves my party in Suikoden 2.
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

Yes, Luca can not damage Humphrey. Humphrey is basically a weaker Pesmerga
My GameFAQs account now is SheenavsKilley
I already closed gildedtalon, my old account
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

I had a similar experience with Humphrey last time I went up against the Beast Rune. My entire party got knocked out except for Humphrey and he ended up finishing the boss by himself. He's got an obscene amount of HP and he's a good choice for double beat.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Humphrey is only useful if you get him early with Matilda Trick....and he's really weak against magic attacks. And Luca can cause damage to Humphrey when he uses his Fire Sword.

Although not the worst character. The worst is actually Tuta....even the squirells are stronger :lol:

And btw,i changed my mind about Hai Yo when i read about him here how powerful can be...i couldn't believe that a cook can be a serious fighter and even stronger than Pesmerga and Georg
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

I never bothered with Hai Yo. It's obviously some kind of goof making a chef character into a more powerful fighter than he should be. He's there to cook meals, not to kick the crap out of powerful monsters as well.

Any male character can stand up to Luca's fire magic if he's equipped with fire emblems. The vengeful child spell come sin handy as well.

I also save the fire lizard/fire sealing combination for non-magic fighters like Viktor, Rikimaru or Humphrey.
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

Sasarai10 wrote:Humphrey is only useful if you get him early with Matilda Trick....and he's really weak against magic attacks. And Luca can cause damage to Humphrey when he uses his Fire Sword.
Not so. Humphrey with Windspun Armor, the Fire Sealing Rune, the Fire Lizard Rune, and a few multi-use Mega Medicines (or food items) can beat Luca Blight solo.
Hikaru

Post by Hikaru »

Many characters with 3 rune slots. :lol:
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

I've decided I really like Lun. I've said a few times in the past that she was annoying because she always complained about her dad's reckless behavior, when he was one of the most resourceful characters in the story, always coming up with a plan to get us in somewhere or ready to get his hands dirty performing a risky task. But a lot of that complaining Lun did was out of concern for her dad - she didn't want him getting killed, obviously. And if anything did happen to Logg, she'd likely have to face the wrath of her mother (we never actually saw Kisara's aggressive side she always seemed placid, but she did know how to punish her family if they stepped out of line)
Lun is the one who was always getting into danger with her dad, as Kisara was normally working with Raja. So I can feel sorry for Lun getting roped into Logg's schemes even against her better judgement. She had to keep an eye on him.

And Lun very much personifies all of the women of Raftfleet - that they work hard and repay any debt twice over, or whatever it is they say.
I also enjoyed Lun's interactions with Subala. Subala was one of the most hilarious characters in 5, but Lun gave as good as she got. Describing her as rude, crude and lewd - and those are her good qualities, and that she used to be cute but then got hit with the ugly stick, and calling her an inbred hic (which is one of my favourite insults that doesn't contain swear words).

I don't use the Raftfleeters much in combat as optional characters, but I do like their culture and how they function in the story, and they all have likeable and believable personalities.
AlOnZo

Post by AlOnZo »

Nanami.

She used to bug the life out of me by trying to get Riou to run and hijacking space in the party. I've come round to her in my old age. I empathize with her desire to escape the war and for things to return to the way they were with Jowy too.

And the whole faking of the death... I mean a bit out there, but some pair on her to carry it off.