So nearly finished Suikoden V, here are my thoughts

A forum for all general Suikoden related topics.
TMan

So nearly finished Suikoden V, here are my thoughts

Post by TMan »

Like I said in another thread when I first played this I was just out of some surgery and pretty drugged. I basically missed the whole story and when i got to the final dungeon I was way low leveled and Rage Quit. Though technically my second time, this felt, for the most part, like my first.

These are my thoughts, roughly in order. I'll not ramble here, so to help control myself, prepare for LIST FORMAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ACT 1:
  • Boobs- Sialeeds looks ridiculous.
    Prince- the Queendom of Falena don't raise no Georges.
    Princess- "Brother!!!!" Someone needed to tell the translators that referring to your kin by their title or relation to you does not sound even remotely natural in most Western languages
    Miakis- the slow pan up from her legs is supposed to make me think she is attractive, but I have no idea why.
    Incest moment #1- Marry your brother
    Incest moment #2- Sialeeds doesn't mind if the Prince peeks!
    Various other subtle incest-y moments.
    Sol Falena has, in my opinion, the most annoying music ever in a Suikoden game
    Dragon Horses are lame
    Dueling badly needs a complete overhaul
    I like these characters
    Belcoot is cool as hell
    Etcetc I'd like to start the game now...
    Please?...
    Please let me start playing...
ACT 2
  • Euram is creepy. Kid says Euram offers him candy. Euram is most definitely supposed to be a child molester.
    Raftfleet's layout, while unique, is infuriating.
    Why am I so attracted to Luserina?
    NO NOT MORE SINDAR RUINS NO NO NO
    THESE ARE HORRIBLE MAKE IT STOP PLEASE NO NO
    Good I have a castle now. I love load screens every time I go to another room!
    Sweet early Viki + effortless blinking mirror. Thank you game designer
    This battle system sucks a lot! And each battle is less fun than the last!
    I really like this game. This castle is sweet. These characters are super detailed. This is a pretty big step up. I am really getting into this. I wish I didn't remember all the plot twists.
    Recruitment sloggggggg
    Shut up, Lym.
    Beavers, while better than cats, are still by far among the worst addition to the world's list of humanoidsishes
ACT 3
  • Yes let's capture the Princess. Somehow the bad guys are stupid to see this really ridiculously obvious plan and counter-plan accordingly
    Oh, what a surprise, the character most attached to the main character is mortally wounded (Gremio, Nanami, probably someone in 3 and 4 I guess)
    Oh poor George. I wish I didn't remember this plot twist. But holy shoot I still teared up when Ferid smiled.
    The Godwins are not particularly bright, are they?
I'll leave it there. Despite the above snide comments, I'm enjoying the hell out of this game. Every detail is so wonderfully realized that it's hard to not get really wrapped up in Falena. The Prince's relatively frequent vocalization helps fix the issue of there being a leader that never ever speaks. The dawn Rune is pretty great. I'm really glad there's no magic charging time. While it added an extra layer of strategy and challenge to battles, it was extremely un-fun in my opinion.
Dreams do die
TMan

Re: So nearly finished Suikoden V, here are my thoughts

Post by TMan »

This thread is so unabashedly self-absorbed it makes me rather embarrassed to have posted it.
Dreams do die
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

This game has the best duels in the whole series, why do you think they need an overhaul?
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Sol Falena has, in my opinion, the most annoying music ever in a Suikoden game
You're aware you're playing the game that features HAUD????
Punkaiser

Post by Punkaiser »

*Oppa Zegai style*
The whole concept of art in this game is...an attack on my senses
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Haud doesn't have background music, it has a recording of R2-D2 and C-3PO f#cking each other in slow motion.
TMan

Post by TMan »

I mean, yeah the Haud music wasn't good, but it was not good on purpose. And on top of that, it wasn't gratingly repetetive the way the Sol Felena music felt for the first 2-3 hours of gameplay.

Oh and, the duel systems were pretty and the timer was a nice addition, but it's still just super obvious rock paper scissors. I think so far in the game I have only been hit twice in duels. I'm not proposing anything to replace it, but the whole approach seems a little stale to me.
Dreams do die
Neclord X

Post by Neclord X »

TMan wrote:This thread is so unabashedly self-absorbed it makes me rather embarrassed to have posted it.
Rest asure, that happens a lot to me. Sometimes ideas about a particular points/details annoys and cares you more than the overall impressions and you feel the necesity of comment those points while leaving the "important things" to bakground.
TMan wrote:Various other subtle incest-y moments.
"Can I sleep with you, onii-chan?" wasn't subtle at all :twisted:
TMan

Post by TMan »

"Can I sleep with you, onii-chan?" wasn't subtle at all
Hehehehe yes I knew I was forgetting some of the obvious ones.
Dreams do die
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Characters who annoyed me in this game:

Lun, constantly nagging her dad, when he is far more resourceful than her, and a lot more fun to hang out with. Logg got some of my favourite dialogue!
Killy, I got so excited when he showed up at the palace, but when you meet him in person he turns out to be a dick, with his crap weapon choice.
Sagiri and Shigure, they are just dull. Oboro had some nice lines, and even Fuyo was more interesting, but Sagiri and Shigure sucked.
And any of the beavers, except the one who built the bath house.
TMan

Post by TMan »

I liked Sagiri and Shigure!
Dreams do die
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

I didn't. Boring costumes, boring dialogue and a pain in the ass to recruit. I wanted Nakula to run that bitch through.

I agree with you about Raftfleet, though. Interesting idea, but a bunch of boats connected by narrow planks is not very fun to get around when you're used to streets.
TMan

Post by TMan »

Also it just genuinely wouldn't be practical. All those boats would be moving, as would be the planks. People would fall all the time.
Dreams do die
Neclord X

Post by Neclord X »

TMan wrote:Also it just genuinely wouldn't be practical. All those boats would be moving, as would be the planks. People would fall all the time.
Never go to China then, (or it was Thailand?) Anyway, there are actual markets like that in the world, is not a "fantasy idea", it actually exist.
TMan

Post by TMan »

They are on a lake or swamp, though, aren't they? Would be a lot more tricky on a river, and you can see those planks are just casually laid across the boats.
Dreams do die