My Problems With Each Suikoden

A forum for all general Suikoden related topics.
Antimatzist

Re: My Problems With Each Suikoden

Post by Antimatzist »

Yeah, that's my point: I'll reload anyway and if I got enough of dying characters, I'll just use the unkillable ones. There's no real point to it. Of course it let's you play very cautiously, but I do that anyway as I want to S Rank everey area.

The perma-death in the other titles should really be overthought. As it is now, it doesn't work so well. They tried to enhance the feeling a bit in Suikoden V with a small cemetary, but then again: YOu'll reload the battle anyway if a character dies, so what?
sticky-runes

Re: My Problems With Each Suikoden

Post by sticky-runes »

I've just got back into Suikoden 3, and here are some things that are pissing me off.

The combat system - lack of control over all 6 characters. I've got people running up to the enemy so that they get singed by my fire spells - great. I'd rather they just went into defence mode.

LONG monster animations. Those crabs that fire lasers at you and start frothing up poisonous bubbles, and those butterflies that shower us with pollen and bugs that fire needles. Really gets on my nerves. I'm actually skipping battles - not because the enemies are too tough or too easy - but because I can't be bothered to sit through their animations again.

Cluttered inventory system. Whats with all these different qualities of medicine? should have just stuck with medicine and mega medicine like all the other games did.

That horrible map! And I've just recruited Viki and she wouldn't teleport me to some of the towns. Is that normal? The dungeons and plains and forests were all available, but I couldn't teleport to Vinay del Zexey or Chisha village. And I've made Chris my flame champion, so she's already been to those towns plenty of times.

Not being able to use characters I've recruited in other people's storylines. They should have at least made the support characters available, I ended up really struggling in Geddoe's story, and I could have done with a healer.

The major battles are poorly done. Lots of my recruits were not available, and there were hardly any opportunities to strengthen my characters before commencing a major battle. And I HATE scripted battles. Most of the battles I've fought so far have been ones where I have to stay alive. not go out and kick the enemies' asses, but stay as far away from them as possible until I get rescued by a story line event.

This game has done a great job of the characterization and going into detail about all the cultures, but the gaming mechanics are pretty frustrating.