Reasons for your main characters' names?

A forum for all general Suikoden related topics.
gildedtalon

Re: Reasons for your main characters' names?

Post by gildedtalon »

LOL Piisuke, you're pretty old compared to me, I'll be 22 this year
My GameFAQs account now is SheenavsKilley
I already closed gildedtalon, my old account
Pokerface

Post by Pokerface »

Ha! Damn it... I remember when I started playing Suikoden 1 when it came out. I was a teenager back in the day. Now I am 35 and just dug it out in order to play it again.

Nestor is back :) This time in Suikoden 5 ^^
Mess with the best, die like the rest!
http://www.suikoden3.de
Shasarazawoowoo

Post by Shasarazawoowoo »

I'll admit, in my recent playthrough of SI, I named my hero "...UGH!!" Why? Because I love how it looks like people are straining, cringing in disgust, vomiting up blood, or whatever when they refer to him in mid-dialogue. It became especially hilarious when Leknaat teleported into his room in the middle of the night, with her dialogue reading:

"...UGH!!... ......UGH!!... Wake up, ...UGH!!."

It's like she had food poisoning or something. I plan to try and continue the trend in II with some other suitably amusing name.

Usually, though, I stuck with the "canon" names (or the most accepted names... Frey, Tir, Lazlo, Riou. Can't recall what I named the Flame Champion in III, though). For a more authentic feel when I want a serious playthrough. Although in my first run-through of II, I got stuck with "Nigel" from the name generator. It felt odd then and it feels odd now. I think because I picture Nigel Thornberry, or the Bottomtooth character from Family Guy, when I hear the name "Nigel". A cute young boy in a bathrobe, biker shorts, and tiara? Not so much.

(I think I also named Tir "Ryan" or something in my first playthrough of I, because it looked like that was the name given to him in the manual, and I used to use that as a guidepost when no other names were officially given.)
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Shasarazawoowoo wrote:
Sounds like she's masturbating :shock:
Jocky

Post by Jocky »

sticky-runes wrote:
Shasarazawoowoo wrote:
Or trying to! Sounds like she's pulling on it but it won't.........................stand to attention?!?! :lol:
Shasarazawoowoo

Post by Shasarazawoowoo »

Jocky wrote:
sticky-runes wrote:
Shasarazawoowoo wrote:
Or trying to! Sounds like she's pulling on it but it won't.........................stand to attention?!?! :lol:
...Pulling on... what...?

Because most women do not have the things you seem to be implying she has.

To me, it personally reads like she's trying to take a huge dump, but "food poisoning" pretty much covers that AND the profuse vomiting.
Jocky

Post by Jocky »

Shasarazawoowoo wrote:Because most women do not have the things you seem to be implying she has.
You are indeed correct, MOST woman don't have the thing I am implying she has. But there are a few, which many a man has found out to his great displeasure after getting said 'woman' back home, which do.........., I, unfortuantely, am 1 of them....................and I still have the nightmares.....................................
Shasarazawoowoo wrote:To me, it personally reads like she's trying to take a huge dump.....
Hahaha, totally! Trying to take a huge dump but her backside has fallen asleep! :lol:
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Jocky wrote:
Shasarazawoowoo wrote:Because most women do not have the things you seem to be implying she has.
You are indeed correct, MOST woman don't have the thing I am implying she has. But there are a few, which many a man has found out to his great displeasure after getting said 'woman' back home, which do.........., I, unfortuantely, am 1 of them....................and I still have the nightmares.....................................
As I recall, Jocky, you lead me on by saying you like a woman with stubble and the way that little black dress showed off my back hair, so I just assumed you'd be up for it that night.
darkknightkv

Post by darkknightkv »

This thread has went to a dark dark place.
Jocky

Post by Jocky »

darkknightkv wrote:This thread has went to a dark dark place.
A very dark place!! Hahahahahaha!

As for you sticky!! You promised you wouldn't tell anyone about that!! Just because I didn't run screaming for the hills like most men do, and just gritted my teeth, got out the duck tape, gimp mask and the cheese grater and got stuck in, doesn't mean I want to broadcast it to the ENTIRE world!!! :lol:
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Good times :wink:
Jocky

Post by Jocky »

Lollage!! :P
freshmetal

Post by freshmetal »

Sounds like I missed out on a party.
PSN: FreshMetal80
Twilight Sky

Post by Twilight Sky »

Hmm, Suikoden has been one of the games where, it feels meaningful to use my real name for the main character. I totally feel like I'm part of the story, especially in Suikoden II.
Jocky

Post by Jocky »

Twilight Sky wrote:Hmm, Suikoden has been one of the games where, it feels meaningful to use my real name for the main character. I totally feel like I'm part of the story, especially in Suikoden II.
I totally agree!! I did this the first few times I played the games. Then I found out what the main characters are meant to be called and ever since I've had to call them by their real names. I'm such an OCD freak!! :P