Duel - Which series has the best duel?

A forum for all general Suikoden related topics.
Piisuke

Re: Duel - Which series has the best duel?

Post by Piisuke »

It's as meaningful as the duel to close the sluice gates in Suikoden II.
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

Well, if you want them open, you have to win. That one at least tries to have some kind of meaning.
Piisuke

Post by Piisuke »

You fight to close them. Regardless, dueling a person in order to prove your "worthy" enough for him to close the sluice gates, just to battle him again later to recruit him makes no sense.
Lemmy Claypool

Post by Lemmy Claypool »

Piisuke wrote:You fight to close them. Regardless, dueling a person in order to prove your "worthy" enough for him to close the sluice gates, just to battle him again later to recruit him makes no sense.
I think the second duel makes sense. Amada's something of a fun-lover, he enjoyed himself so much dueling Riou the first time it stands to reason he'd fancy another round. Makes perfect sense I think :mrgreen:
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

Very much agreed, Lemmy.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Piisuke wrote:You fight to close them. Regardless, dueling a person in order to prove your "worthy" enough for him to close the sluice gates, just to battle him again later to recruit him makes no sense.
Well it does make sense, really.

When Riou fought him the first time, it was to have the sluice gates closed - that was their deal. There was nothing in their agreement about giving up his job and moving to the castle to join Riou's army. If we're expecting Amada to give up his job and home in Radat, I think it's quite fair that he challenges Riou a second time!
Piisuke

Post by Piisuke »

So how does one prove being worthy of having the sluice gates closed by defeating them in a duel? Irrespective of this taken place in times of dragons. There's just no logic there. Similar to how you fought Chuck and had little purpose. The second time you fight Amada makes no sense to me either. So, he "enjoyed" getting his ass handed to him the first time, he wants it again? Oh, okay. Lol.
Lemmy Claypool

Post by Lemmy Claypool »

Precisely. He probably thought he could take him this time after having seen his fighting style once before. Or maybe he knew he'd get his arse kicked but had to keep up appearances in front of his sailor buddies by not instantly submitting and pledging allegiance just like that. Or maybe he just wanted to take the gamble.

Any of those fit with Amada's character much better than just going along at the drop of a hat like you're suggesting.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Chuck was a storeroom guard. how does beating up a guard to get into somebody's storage not make sense?
Aerolithe Lion

Post by Aerolithe Lion »

sticky-runes wrote:Chuck was a storeroom guard. how does beating up a guard to get into somebody's storage not make sense?
Because you cant acquire the dawn rune if you dont win. The fate of all of Falena is resting in the hands of a previously-pampered teenage boy going one on one with a hulking brute while his personal bodyguard, two Queen's knights and other optional characters stand idly by.

It makes sense when you're making a man out of the prince or he has to prove something to someone else, but when thousands of Falenans are turmoiling under the Godwins' rule, and the best conceived idea is "let's have them duel... You know, for fun!"
Sylo

Post by Sylo »

I like the stylised technical duels of Suikoden V, but I do believe the animations are quite slow, and as a result it looks unimpressive. Like, really, you couldnt block/dodge that slow ass move? I know the results of each confrontation are determined when you press te button, but still. It would definitely be more exciting and believable if the animations were faster.
"You will never be strong if you consider yourself weak" - Cleo, Suikoden
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Aerolithe Lion wrote:
Because you cant acquire the dawn rune if you dont win. The fate of all of Falena is resting in the hands of a previously-pampered teenage boy going one on one with a hulking brute while his personal bodyguard, two Queen's knights and other optional characters stand idly by.

It makes sense when you're making a man out of the prince or he has to prove something to someone else, but when thousands of Falenans are turmoiling under the Godwins' rule, and the best conceived idea is "let's have them duel... You know, for fun!"
Chuck didn't know the dawn rune was in the storeroom, he was told by Salum that a gift for Luserina's wedding was down there, and he just wanted to live up to his duty. Wouldn't it be boring if Chuck just said "ok" and stood aside?!
Aerolithe Lion

Post by Aerolithe Lion »

No, I mean from your point of view, not Chuck's. I totally understand Chuck defending it, but why is only the prince forcing his way into the storeroom? Why is Kyle just standing there watching, knowing if the Prince loses they lose the rune?
Sylo

Post by Sylo »

Aerolithe Lion wrote:No, I mean from your point of view, not Chuck's. I totally understand Chuck defending it, but why is only the prince forcing his way into the storeroom? Why is Kyle just standing there watching, knowing if the Prince loses they lose the rune?
I guess you could say the same for the Duel between Riou and Luca when he is at the tree after being shot with arrows. The whole party was there, yet he attacked you, and no one else joined in. Riou's life was at stake, which is just as important...
"You will never be strong if you consider yourself weak" - Cleo, Suikoden
Aerolithe Lion

Post by Aerolithe Lion »

Right, it's really just the developers saying "Ooo! Let's put a duel here, we haven't done it in awhile, and it'll be fun!"