Suikoden Revival Movement

A forum for all general Suikoden related topics.
Piisuke

Re: Suikoden Revival Movement

Post by Piisuke »

Japan indeed has the release on the PSP, but nothing else on the PSN in that regard.

As for sales, I think the sales went up with SIV as well. SIII got good reviews and it gained quite a bit of interest. SIV killed it though. Wasn't received very well, including its own fans. SV could've restored it, but Konami released the game within a week of the release of KHII, so nobody knew that SV was released. Still, doesn't stop Konami from blaming poor sales.
freshmetal

Post by freshmetal »

I personally don't know why SV wasn't recieved well. As someone who has been playing Suikoden since the original, I absolutely loved SV. In fact, I'm currently replaying it. Sure it had its flaws like any game, but I thought it surpassed SIV in every possible way.
PSN: FreshMetal80
Piisuke

Post by Piisuke »

Suikoden V was well received, winning Best Story on PS2 on IGN in 2006. It's a good game and everybody acknowledged it. It just didn't sell. Konami did nothing to promote the game. Released it within a week of the release of KHII and then there's obviously SIV which had damaged the reputation.

Seriously though, by all accounts and purposes, SV was good, if not one of the best games in the franchise.
JanusThePaladin

Post by JanusThePaladin »

To prove Piisuke's point, I didnt even know about S5 until 2 years after its release when my best friend told me about playing it and I told him there was no 5 he must have been playing tactics. He took me to Walmart to prove me wrong.
freshmetal

Post by freshmetal »

JanusThePaladin wrote:To prove Piisuke's point, I didnt even know about S5 until 2 years after its release when my best friend told me about playing it and I told him there was no 5 he must have been playing tactics. He took me to Walmart to prove me wrong.
WOW, you actually found a copy of Suikoden V two years after its release at a Walmart. I've always had to reserve my Suikoden games at Gamestop(even though I hate doing business with them) because I could never find Suikoden games at Walmart or Best Buy. They always have a million copies of big releases, but just a handful of gems like Suikoden.
EstrangedIX

Post by EstrangedIX »

I remember seeing III for about a year after its release at Walmart. I was unemployed at the time so Gamestop eventually got my money when I was finally able to buy it.
Sent from my Ono-Sendai Cyberspace 7 - Break the ICE
JanusThePaladin

Post by JanusThePaladin »

I grew up in Alaska. That should clear up your confusion
Piisuke

Post by Piisuke »

JanusThePaladin wrote:To prove Piisuke's point, I didnt even know about S5 until 2 years after its release when my best friend told me about playing it and I told him there was no 5 he must have been playing tactics. He took me to Walmart to prove me wrong.
I've heard other stories similar to this as well.

Alaska, or not, we all have access to the Internet and the simple idea that you had no idea about this game explains my point. Suikoden V went unnoticed. Not because the game was bad, but because Konami's promotional team is non-existent. A combination of Suikoden IV, the anticipated release of KHII and the void that is called Suikoden V's promotion culminated in poor sales, despite the game being considered a good game.
KC_MCDOHL

Post by KC_MCDOHL »

Just realised I haven't even posted here lol

Thank you all so much for the support this far! 900+ likes for the first month is a good achievement in my opnion. Lets keep the momentum going!

And thank you all for your ideas and discussions on this thread. Rest assured, they are all read and considered.

KC
Rooks

Post by Rooks »

We are almost at 1,100 likes on Facebook, so thanks so much for the support.

Remember to share with your friends to help keep us growing. Sorry if I have neglected the thread here lately, as I have been so busy with the SRM and getting back to work. Though, it looks like I am going to be laid off again, as they are shutting down the entire school I just started teaching at, so I guess that means more SRM work for me. . .

Anyway, I really liked SV, though it certainly had its problems. And even in the case of SIV, I have been taking a much more positive approach to it lately. Comparing it to games like Final Fantasy X, XII, and Star Ocean III, it is a fantastic game. Also, many of the fans that I have met list SIV as the game that brought them into the series.

I've been writing a "Weekend Special" article every week. The last two weeks were concerning women in video games, specifically their roles in Suikoden. If that interests you, check it out: http://www.facebook.com/notes/suikoden- ... 2944383563
Piisuke

Post by Piisuke »

SIV is a fantastic game when compared to FF X, XII and Star Ocean III? Or are you saying V is? If it is the former, then I wonder what in the name of holy you've been having for breakfast. XD XII, maybe, considering that was a pretty poor game, as for Star Ocean III and FF X, they're solid games, mate, especially X. IV doesn't come even close to the voice acting of X.

V, on the other hand is a great title.

I do see where the comment comes from in regards to IV being what brought them to Suikoden. It's mostly down to success of SI-III, hence the sales for IV went up. Some people remain, others left after IV :P.
Rooks

Post by Rooks »

I am saying Suikoden IV is a fantastic game compared to the others, as the PS2-era of RPGs was horribly disappointing. Sorry for the confusion.
freshmetal

Post by freshmetal »

Really? I thought the PS2 had a ton of outstanding RPG's. Much better than the current gen, which consists of nothing but FPS. I don't think I've played a decent JRPG this generation. That's why I've been replaying all of my PS2 games lately.
KC_MCDOHL

Post by KC_MCDOHL »

I think compared to the hey day of the 90's, though, the PS2 RPG's were dissapointing. Of course, compared to this generation though, they are good lol
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Now that i replayed S4 i realised that most people disliked because the main plot was very short and random enemies,appear very frequently,even in islands.

If you ignore these facts,then it's a very nice game,with a lot things to do,like treasure hunting,training at Reinhold's place,searching for Snowe's old clothes in the worls map,learning Unite attacks,etc.

Plus,that this game had by far the best mini-games among the series.

Piisuke wrote:SIV is a fantastic game when compared to FF X, XII and Star Ocean III? Or are you saying V is? If it is the former, then I wonder what in the name of holy you've been having for breakfast. XD XII, maybe, considering that was a pretty poor game, as for Star Ocean III and FF X, they're solid games, mate, especially X. IV doesn't come even close to the voice acting of X.

V, on the other hand is a great title.

I do see where the comment comes from in regards to IV being what brought them to Suikoden. It's mostly down to success of SI-III, hence the sales for IV went up. Some people remain, others left after IV :P.

Oh come on man,SIV worse than FF X?? I think that FF X is a little bit overated??? It's one of the few FF games,that i have played,and it was sooooo boring,especially the battle system. I stopped it till to the point after the main hero (Tidus if i'm not wrong) fought those strange creatures along with a guy with sunglasses (i don't recall his name),and fell down to some ruins or something. And as i searched through the internet FF X had ONLY 7 playable characters.

Btw,why do you have Chieppo in your avatar,since you disliked S4? :|