Suikoden Revival Movement

A forum for all general Suikoden related topics.
Antimatzist

Re: Suikoden Revival Movement

Post by Antimatzist »

JanusThePaladin wrote:Also, personally, I'd like to see a rerelease of the Saturn version of S1
I think an English release of this would be really cool with the additional scenes and stuff.
RevKoden

Post by RevKoden »

Hey...i wonder if this Movement will really be heard by Konami...i mean it's only a week...so far we only got 400 people...is that many for us?? For me i think it needs to be more than that..
Also, if s1 remake, just give joshua playable and i'll be fine..and of course s2 remade...sierra's with her blue moon rune...active in battle
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

RevKoden wrote:Hey...i wonder if this Movement will really be heard by Konami...i mean it's only a week...so far we only got 400 people...is that many for us?? For me i think it needs to be more than that..
Also, if s1 remake, just give joshua playable and i'll be fine..and of course s2 remade...sierra's with her blue moon rune...active in battle
Of course it needs to be more, but our goal was not to reach 10,000 fans in one week - that's unrealistic. There's also a certain limit on how many Suikoden fans are on Facebook (I guess that is 10,000!?), and of course we don't know if Konami will ever listen to us. One point might be to organize events in the future, like on one day, we all should send Konami e-mails regarding Suikoden or call them (if there is a free/cheap number). Of course they can still easily ignore it, but at some point I guess they will be frustrated on getting 100 Suikoden-e-mails per week. We don't know until we try (urgh...)

A remake is out of question, I guess, even though I'd like re-translated versions. Especially the German Suikoden II version is horrible, and III definitely needs a new translation...
Rooks

Post by Rooks »

As a result of my involvement with the movement, I have been doing a ton of research on the current state of the industry. This is a part of some of the conclusions that I have come to, and hopefully I will be making a weekly blog on SRM and Destructiod, in preparation for another letter to Konami.

http://www.facebook.com/notes/suikoden- ... 8515060006
catfriedrice

Post by catfriedrice »

ttfii wrote: And before I forget, my nephew is recreating the first two castles in Minecraft and is going to do a YouTube video tour. He's twelve and loves all the games so all hope isn't lost.
Tell him I've already made North Window Castle in Minecraft, and that the scale used in the game is horrible.
Zellmard Cairea

Post by Zellmard Cairea »

RevKoden wrote:Hey...i wonder if this Movement will really be heard by Konami...i mean it's only a week...so far we only got 400 people...is that many for us?? For me i think it needs to be more than that..

i desire re-translated version of Genso Suikoden I & II on PSP
it's the best version of GS I & II without any bugs (correct me if i wrong), high bitrate in game BGMs, re-mastered sprites, etc
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

I think Raww said something about the PSP version having some other bugs, I could mix people up though so don't hang me if this doesn't add up.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

The PSP version retains all bugs from the PS1 versions, with the exception of the Matilda glitch, as well as adds a couple of new ones.

It's also horribly implemented and screws up the music as well as the graphics. Anyone claiming it's the best version clearly has never actually played it and is just going off their own fantasies of what it should have been.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
Zellmard Cairea

Post by Zellmard Cairea »

Raww Le Klueze wrote:The PSP version retains all bugs from the PS1 versions, with the exception of the Matilda glitch, as well as adds a couple of new ones.

It's also horribly implemented and screws up the music as well as the graphics. Anyone claiming it's the best version clearly has never actually played it and is just going of their own fantasies of what it should have been.
i've played it for few hours and so far was good
by the way could you mention any links/information that shows differences between the original PSX with the PSP version? and with complete bad things in the PSP version

sorry if it's out of topic suddenly
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Another good idea is,to re-release Suikoden 2,but this time from Jowy's point of view,instead of releasing Suikoden 6.

People loved Suikoden 2,so i guess it would be a success if they re-release another version of this game.

After all,they released recently that PSP game,so the series hasn't been forgoten yet..but why they are spending their time creating fake "Suikoden" games,instead of releasing this one from Jowy's eyes? I'm sure that everyone will love to play as Highland Army generals like Culgan,Seed,or even Luca. :D
Lemmy Claypool

Post by Lemmy Claypool »

Perhaps not a full game, but a shorter 'Jowy Mode' upon completion? Similar to Etna Mode from the PSP version of Disgaea. We should probably get back on topic though.
Rooks

Post by Rooks »

Lobbying Konami for any kind of PSP release, be it 100 years or Suikoden I and II, is not too high on our priorities. The PSP itself is still a big question mark, as Sony may force japanese companies still developing for it to move over to the Vita. . . As the Vita thus far has been mostly a failure. Also, considering the Silent Hill HD collection, Konami is not too keen to start re-releasing buggy games.

It is really the Digital distribution networks we are shooting for, as uploading the raw data shouldn't be too much of a problem. World-wide PSN releases, of course, but also looking at Android and possibly an Ouya release. Namco has declared their support for the new system, and while it is being sold to investors as an F2P platform, running Android (with all its piracy) means that developers would likely choose a one-time payment style system eventually. Currently, the buzz is that Nintendo is having some killer deals with publishers who sign up for the WiiU's virtual console as well, this again, could allow for Konami to make money re-releasing SNES, PS1, CG and PS2 titles, including Suikoden, and likely that Nintendo will want Twin Snakes as well.

That being said: Konami has always been a console and arcade developer. Digital distribution and PC sales have never been their strong suit, likely because games like MGS, Castlevania, and ZoE require precise controls designed around a specific controller, but releasing the Silent Hill games or Suikoden on a platform like Steam would also be in their interest. If I recall, SH 3 and 4 were already released for the PC some time ago.

But really, it is up to the community, too. We are all going to be looking at TGS closely this year.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Rooks wrote:That being said: Konami has always been a console and arcade developer. Digital distribution and PC sales have never been their strong suit, likely because games like MGS, Castlevania, and ZoE require precise controls designed around a specific controller, but releasing the Silent Hill games or Suikoden on a platform like Steam would also be in their interest. If I recall, SH 3 and 4 were already released for the PC some time ago.

But really, it is up to the community, too. We are all going to be looking at TGS closely this year.
Are you sure? I've read an annual report some time ago, and social gaming seems to be getting more and more important for them. Ah, here is even a newer one, and it says in the outlook:
With the spread of smartphones and tablet PCs worldwide and the increased popularity of social networking sites, the available means of providing game software continue to diversify, and opportunities to reach an even greater audience for game software are increasing. Against such a backdrop, our belief is that we can increase the number of “outlets” for the Konami Group’s game content by taking advantage of opportunities presented by the emergence of new devices and developing our business around game content. We intend to develop ways of playing games that match the characteristics of each device.
I know that they are mostly talking about new games, but why not old games, too? I know a business report doesn't have much to say, but it's a perspective. Well, it's from the japanese POV so America might see it different, at least I don't know any english Konami social gaming game, but I'm not really interested in that stuff...

http://www.konami.co.jp/zaimu/1206/1206_english.pdf
Xelinis

Post by Xelinis »

I agree with the focus on digital distribution as a way of bringing the franchise back. In terms of priority, these are my two cents.

1. iOS
Apple has a painless licensing model, which is why so many independent games thrive on it and many small developers do well. Bigger developers as well, as Infinity Blade, a project from Epic Games, was deemed the most profitable project in the company's history. (Remember, this is the company behind Unreal and Gears of War.) Adding to this is the very, very low rate of piracy on the platform as most users don't want to go through the trouble of jailbreaking. With those points in mind, as well as the massive user-base, this should be the top priority.

2. Steam
Another fairly painless licensing model. While the profit margins are usually not as high as iOS, it is still very easy to get a game on this content platform and make a strong profit off of it. The hugely successful Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale is a great example of this. Of course, releasing Suikoden on PC does introduce a far higher risk of piracy as opposed to iOS. However, Steam makes the buying process so painless that many don't even bother.

3. Andriod
Android's large and still growing audience makes it an attractive place to bring the franchise. The licensing model is non-existent giving it the highest profit potential. However, Android also has the highest piracy rate out there, high enough to make me wary. Piracy has always hit the series hard, I don't want to add more to it. Suikoden Tierkreis on its own was deep into the six-digit count in terms of how many people downloaded it. Additionally, as a developer myself, I can attest to the high degree of hardware fragmentation that can make some titles very difficult to maintain.

4. PSN
In a lot of ways, PSN makes sense since the core series has always belonged to Sony. However, I've heard nothing but horrifying things about the PSN licensing model in terms of approvals and profitability. I'd label this as a nice-to-have.

??. Ouya
The big question mark. Ouya became the darling of the internet's eye when the Kickstarter first appeared. However, until the hardware is actually released and we get a better idea of how sustainable the platform is, I believe it to be too high-risk. I'll be very happy if it does well, but it's still plagued by too many "what-ifs."
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Thanks for that overview. I'm a "classic" console-gamer, so I am not up-to-date with this stuff (really, I'm a tech-idiot, hehe). So would you recommend to advertise for a more general digital distribution and name PSN just as an example?

I think we needn't name Ouya specifically, from my understanding anything could work with it, I could be wrong though.