Suikoden Revival Movement

A forum for all general Suikoden related topics.
AlOnZo

Re: Suikoden Revival Movement

Post by AlOnZo »

I'm still holding out for S3 to make its way to Europe! That's the real dream here :lol: Baby steps.
KC_MCDOHL

Post by KC_MCDOHL »

From what I gather, PSN classic releases have to remain completely unchanged from the original version. So if Suikdoen III never got a PAL release ...it can't be released on the PAL PSN :/

That said, it could get a new release on a different platform. I feel now would be a good time to explore the option of Steam, which is part of our goal.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

You're wrong, Chris, there wer egames that were never released in Europe that were released as PSN Classics. E.g., Arc the LAd. it first arrived in Japanese (!) which was later changed to English (after a year or so=. It was never released in EU, only in USA and Japan. So It's very well possible.

Porting PS2 games to Steam is probably even trickier than anything else. Porting them to the PS2 Classics is already pretty difficult, as I heard, that's why so few titles appear there.
KC_MCDOHL

Post by KC_MCDOHL »

Ah ok! Now I'm more confused.
More clarification is needed before going forward
Rooks

Post by Rooks »

Yeah, region changes are fine for PS2 Classics, so, it would be OK to release SIII in the PAL region. There In the US, Vib Ribbon PS1 was never released here, then got a release on PSN. Also the Cho Aniki games which were -for obvious reasons- never released here, only in japan, got released as well. The problem is emulation. If people went round changing all their games, it would be impossible to emulate properly. Even with PSN, the PS2 data has to be changed to be accomidated to the PS3, which by itself, is not powerful enough to emulate PS2 games. Hence, the early models of PS3 had a PS2 chip inside for backwards compatibility. Really, it takes hardware that is orders of magnitude more powerful that the original to emulate hardware functions inside software, and even the PS4 would have a bit of trouble emulating straight disc images of some of the later PS2 games like Gran Turismo 4 and God of War 2, which drove that system to its limit. So, all PS2 classics have to go through a process that changes some of their hardware instructions.

This is much more complicated than simple re-encoding for region, and why Sony itself decided to release games like ICO, Shadow of the Colossus, and God of War 1 and 2 as HD Collections, rather than emulate them. Same with Silent Hill 2 and 3, they were so hardware intensive, it made more sense to do an HD collection. Suikoden III, IV, and V however, are not hardware intensive games, they are closer to the Persona games and Growlanser, both of which are on PS2classics. So, I do not foresee any major problems with their emulation on PS3, and hopefully PS4. Vita cannot handle it, it is just too weak. But, the 3DS version of MGS3 and other PS2 ports went well, and Vita obviously has Persona 4 Golden and other PS2 title remakes on the way.

However, Konami does not have a good record of HD collections. . . Silent Hill was bad. Zone of the Enders was fixed eventually, about a year later. MGS3 for 3DS got delayed time and again, but was eventually quite good when it released. . . so this gets to be problematic. I still say that PS2classics with a potential Vita hard-copy release is the best bet.
SirPsycho

Post by SirPsycho »

If Konami did do an HD remake of any Suikoden game, suggest 5. The cutscenes are still gorgeous to this day, and the visual design in the game is just stunning outside of some of the massive, empty parts of cities.

On another note, in the wake of all the Shenmue III news, what does everybody think about putting some Kickstarter pressure on Konami?
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

You mean pressure them to initiate a Kickstarter or what? If you mean start one ourselves, there's not much point in trying to crowd-fund copyrighted IP without the consent of the holder.
SirPsycho

Post by SirPsycho »

I'm well aware that fans could not start it, but the arrangement for Shenmue III's Kickstarter with the triangle of Sega, Sony, and Ys Net is providing an interesting deviation from everything we've seen so far from the crowdfunding movement. While Shenmue III's not a perfect campaign it feels like this is the beginning of the next step for the idea in general. Now heads will turn for all game developers large and small at the idea of small studios and large companies working together on a sort of match system, we know Sony's going to help with development costs after the campaign's over in this case.

I saw an actual Kickstarter thread elsewhere after posting my comment, and I started a discussion on the Suikoden subreddit myself.
Rooks

Post by Rooks »

The current Konami would see any Kickstarter project as a loss of face. Honestly, they are far to stubborn to even consider it.
Piercezoner

Post by Piercezoner »

SirPsycho wrote:If Konami did do an HD remake of any Suikoden game, suggest 5. The cutscenes are still gorgeous to this day, and the visual design in the game is just stunning outside of some of the massive, empty parts of cities.
My dream was that Konami would remake 1 in the same style as 2. Like the PSP FFIV remake with updated sprites and backgrounds. It would seem more likely since its a smaller investment than a 3d remake/remaster.
-----------------------
Tir Tcdohl
JuveLeo

Post by JuveLeo »

I don't use Facebook anymore and just wanted to know if this page is still kickin? What are their goals currently?
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

We're also on Twitter, if that's something you use.

Well, not that many goals currently, Basically, supporting Eiyuden and waiting for the PS5 to see which options we have to bring Suikoden to the new generation.
JuveLeo

Post by JuveLeo »

Antimatzist wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:32 am We're also on Twitter, if that's something you use.

Well, not that many goals currently, Basically, supporting Eiyuden and waiting for the PS5 to see which options we have to bring Suikoden to the new generation.
I do use Twitter frequently and i will be following the page. Thanks for informing me.

I'm glad to hear that SRM is still going strong.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Thanks for the follow! I have to be honest, we were kind of going slow and motivation was at an alltime low with neither Konami making a move towards making a Suikoden collection nor Sony offering a service to play old PS1 games. Still, with the Eiyuden campaign, we gathered some new energy and hope we can push Konami a bit more again.
JuveLeo

Post by JuveLeo »

Was the previous goal to get the two original games on to the PS4 store?

Murayama acquiring the rights to Suikoden would be a dream come true and we could finally see a continuation of the story. But i can't see Konami ever selling the rights, which makes no sense since they let the series rot.