Interview with Miki Higashino (at Square Enix Music Online)

A forum for all general Suikoden related topics.
thcrock
Global Admin

Interview with Miki Higashino (at Square Enix Music Online)

Post by thcrock »

Square Enix Music Online just posted a really great interview with Miki Higashino.

http://squareenixmusic.com/features/int ... hino.shtml

The interesting tidbits to me were her unique approach for composing Suikoden II's town music (Suikoden II had, by far, my favorite town music of any RPG. Only FF7 came remotely close) and the fact that her favorite soundtrack is not either of the Suikoden soundtracks (or even the Gradius soundtrack).
patapi
Forum Moderator

Re: Interview with Miki Higashino (at Square Enix Music Onli

Post by patapi »

Considering the rich fusion of worldly cultures throughout the entire series, I'm not exactly surprised by how she came to produce the lovely tunes of the early games. A trend that continues to reign the franchise's soundtrack, even after she retired.

Wish she'd comment on the direction the series has taken afterwards though.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Yeah, me too. Also comments on the other soundtracks would have been nice, I wonder why she didn't follow the series after her departure?

Anyway, this is a really interesting interview, thanks!
Zargabaath

Post by Zargabaath »

Thanks for this! Great interview. I'm a huge fan of both soundtracks, shame she retired!
ninjaluc79

Post by ninjaluc79 »

Wow, this is awesome. Such a lovely woman making such badass music with Gradius and Suikoden (*listening to S2's Battle Them "The Will") is definitely awesome!
It's not all about knowledge, but it helps.
Jhenna

Post by Jhenna »

oining Konami straight out of college in 1984, Miki Higashino was one of the first musicians to make an impact on the games industry. She initially created the pleasant melodies of the classic space shooter Gradius and went on to work on a string of other hits: Salamander, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Contra III, Premier Soccer, and Tokimeki Memorial. Yet she is best known for her rich worldly stylings on the first instalments of the Suikoden series
rdokoye

Post by rdokoye »

She’s worked on a number of games that I’ve played and enjoyed playing. I think music is an integral aspect of gaming, which is one aspect of the game Outcast that I especially loved.
TMan

Post by TMan »

Did anyone else get the vibe that she looked back on her Suikoden work as a completely unpleasant experience?
Dreams do die