Suikoden Team Q&A

A forum for all general Suikoden related topics.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Re: Suikoden Team Q&A

Post by patapi »

What does story have to do anything with pushing the limits of a platform? Story has no need for complicated medium to execute them, or otherwise books would have gone out of style.
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

One must always remember that Suikoden 1 and 2 were always pseudo 3D. The regular map was pretty much high quality 2D, but battles were sprite overlays on paper thin models against an isometrically set 3D terrain.

The fact that Hell and Judgement obviously abuse this trick in Suikoden and many other spells abuse it in Suikoden 2 proves they pushed the boundaries during battles. Were it fully 3D, we'd have ended up with, well... what we got in Tierkreis, albeit far less refined. It would've looked like Wild ARMs, basically (and have you played that game recently? The graphics obviously aged badly).
Last edited by LanceHeart on Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly known as: Gothann
kte03

Post by kte03 »

They only answered 1/2 of my questions. The second one they didn't answer was where they would pick up at Suikoden 6. This either gives off the sense that they don't know where the hell the story is going, or there will be no Suikoden 6.

Or as patapi stated, they may be waiting to spill the info at press releases or something.Thanks Konami!

The first one wasn't very informative either but at least there's a chance they're gonna release SII for DLC.

Uhh... I'm gonna put up the questions they did NOT answer.

2. Is there any opportunity to see the release of Suikogaidens and/or Suiko Card Stories in america/europe? Even if a new printing of Suikogaiden might be tough to justify, a release on PSN or Xbox Live would be a cheaper option.

They didn't release it then, I don't think they'd release it now.

3. Is a franchise-wide collection of the games in the works? (Suikoden 1-5, Suikogaiden, Card Stories, and Tactics in one collection) Most especially because all of the games aren't in print anymore.

4. Why exactly did you decided against localising the PSP bundle of Suikoden I and II? If it's Japanese sales figures, then that's an unfair comparison, as Japan had the privilege of The Best versions of those PS1 titles and thus those games are more widely available there than in English markets. Again, the PSN is an option for this release if a retail printing is considered too costly.

A simple "we couldn't" would suffice >_>

5. If Suikoden Tierkreis gathers enough international acclaim, will be seeing an international rerelease of the first two games on the DS? Or possibly as downloadable games for any console or PC, seeing as Suikoden is on the PSN?

They'd probably have answered this like they answered 1.

11. What is stopping you from using another company to publish the series in the west? Konami of America/Europe failed to make a name of the series in the west. The lack of adequate promotion campaigns, the poor job at translation and the bad voice acting contributed to the low popularity of the series in the west. Konami of America/Europe are merely distribution companies that did not show interest in the series, you do not have to stick with them.

Obviously Konami US would be offended xD

12. Are you looking at releasing Suikoden VI on any other platforms beside the Playstation 3, especially given its rather smaller install base when compared to the Nintendo Wii and Xbox 360, each of which have a stronger hold in both Japan and the United States respectively?

If they said yes to this, they wouldn't have excluded the question. I think they were gonna say no cept there's gonna be a fanboy war if they did. Like, ZOMG WHY DIDNT YOU RELEASE IT ON 360!? PS3 SUCKS!!!

13. As for Suikoden 6, where will they pick up? After III? V? In between?
Last edited by kte03 on Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Looking at the other direction, revealing any info on Suikoden VI through this isn't going to do well for them. That kind of info should be reserved for official press release, or equivalent large scale announcement to properly garner interests in the game. Not through an obvious attempt at promoting Suikoden Tierkreis to fan communities like these questions.
kte03

Post by kte03 »

Oh yeah that too. I edited my post put in the questions they didn't answer.
Runemaster

Post by Runemaster »

I'm disappointed that I can't find specific answers. All full of PR and indirect answers.
We try to never ignore the former series and we have various ideas on the story developments after Tierkreis that may reveal answers to certain questions but we can’t get into any details at the this time.
They TRY to not ignore the former series. That about gives a hint that Tierkreis II may be coming up! :D ...... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
I will bring Lordlake's fate... to the entire Suikoden World! weeeeeeh!
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

kte03 wrote:12. Are you looking at releasing Suikoden VI on any other platforms beside the Playstation 3, especially given its rather smaller install base when compared to the Nintendo Wii and Xbox 360, each of which have a stronger hold in both Japan and the United States respectively?

If they said yes to this, they wouldn't have excluded the question. I think they were gonna say no cept there's gonna be a fanboy war if they did. Like, ZOMG WHY DIDNT YOU RELEASE IT ON 360!? PS3 SUCKS!!!
Well, also since it's a very "Japanese" game they might not want to put it on the American console.
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

That would definitely be easier to believe. The PS3, DS, Wii, and PSP have very high worldwide sales points for JRPGs compared to the 360. Since the DS game obviously did a so-so performance on the DS and the PSP pretty much doesn't seem like a good idea due to the abysmal sales of Suikoden 1 & 2, one has to wonder where they're going to go from here. If they choose to abandon consoles with the franchise, the DS is the only way to go in the future, anyway.
Dazz

Post by Dazz »

They won't abandon consoles. That'd be stupid.
They might have a test run on handhelds, and this game is probably going to give them a reason for that, however, for Suikoden to continue in a handheld direction would be to disregard ALL previous sales for Suikoden games on previous consoles.
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

But that's the thing, none of the current consoles have anything remotely interesting when it comes to JRPG sales in Japan. The 360's extremely high profile JRPG sales are as high as the PS3s new-IP JRPGs, which in turn are also slightly below the Wii's established franchise JRPGs. With the constant lowering trend in sales for the franchise on consoles ever since Suikoden 2, Tierkreis might effectively have created a durable foothold for the franchise on portables.

Edit: Wow, Vextor. Just saw the questions and answers on Suikox. Those answers were far more hostile to longtime fans than the ones of Suikosource'. I can see why so many replies consist of "Screw Konami".
Avalionis

Post by Avalionis »

I personally think it's wise for them not to remake a Suikoden game. (although a re-release of Suikoden II on the PSN would make my day) I do like the aspect of further exploring mysteries (I.E. Pesmerga vs. Yuber, or Hikusaak)

I'm starting to wonder if there really is gonna be a Suikoden VI now. Seems to me, they're running out of ideas on plotlines. (despite them saying "they're working on it." it just seems to me that they're skirting the issue.)
kte03

Post by kte03 »

LOL, I saw Suikox' forums before this and I was like... I really hoped Suikosource got better answers cause man, Suikox' questions got NOTHING.
blah1017

Post by blah1017 »

I can't say I expected any direct responses that would give us details on the next Suikoden game, but damn, those answers are just sad. It's like they avoided every question and squeezed in a little quip about how they love Tierkreis.

Oh well, I guess we did some good in telling them what we want, whether they ignore the questions or not is entirely up to them. Konami IS a business first and foremost, and they will look to making decisions that will turn a profit, as opposed to pandering to fans.

Some of those answers are just gutwrenchingly bad though.
JanusThePaladin

Post by JanusThePaladin »

7. Suikoden Tierkreis may be a spin-off, and a handful of fans may wish it be forgotten from the rest of the series, I think it also brings interesting elements to the series. I've played the game and see virtually no linkage to the main series despite the production team claiming that this is set in a parallel dimension. So, any plans to link Tierkreis' plot back to the future installment in the main series?

There isn’t a direct connection to the former series, but Suikoden Tierkreis and the former series both are on the same "Infinity." In Tierkreis, we focused the "Infinity" concept, so we could look at whole Suikoden worlds, and developed a completely new story from there. This is because we wanted to expand new "Gateways" and new "Possibility" for the future of Suikoden. It’s a bit too early to say exactly how the series will progress but please look forward to future announcements.

8. If money and other business issues were not present, would you rather develop new locations/worlds with minimal connection to the previous Suikoden areas, or stick to expanding previously known settings?

As a developer, we enjoy creating new stories, and we think Tierkreis is a great new story in the Suikoden universe.
this utterly disappointed me. It seriously sounds like a distinct possibility that the questions Suikoden fans have been asking forever will never be answered.

Tis a sad day for this suikoden fan.
zqrahll

Post by zqrahll »

I'm very glad to not have any reason to buy the new game. I don't like portable gaming in the first place (I refuse to play a game on a 2" screen when I only videogame at home), and did not want to have to give Nintendo money just to play a new Suikoden. Then, it turns out the game is Suikoden in name only...

Plus, the company is apparently fine & dandy with alienating the long-term fans of the series by basically saying, we don't care wht you want, this is the crap we're doing now. Who cares if one of the main selling points of the series was the massive political world/history being developed for more than a decade, let's make a generic black & white, good vs. evil JRPG!

Then, using a PR department to anger the fans even more-- brilliant!

**** you Konami.