Favorite game of the main series?

A forum for all general Suikoden related topics.

What is your favorite game of the main series overall?

You may select 1 option

View results

lonelion

Re: Favorite game of the main series

Post by lonelion »

Without question Suikoden 2 is the best in the series.
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

Suikoden 2

Suikoden 1: I really love the music and war system
Suikoden 2: Georg one-hit KO character is really cool and the cooking contest
Suikoden 3: Well, Chris is beautiful and I like Yuber parrying almost every single attack in the game
Suikoden 4: Love how the characters dash-return to their spot after attacking an enemy
Suikoden 5: Got the lovely Miakis :mrgreen:
My GameFAQs account now is SheenavsKilley
I already closed gildedtalon, my old account
nobody

Post by nobody »

For me its Suikoden V it has the best story and characters overall
Templeton
Banned User

Post by Templeton »

I voted for the Island Liberation War because of the islands and their centrel location to all the other parts of the world. I enjoyed the battle system and personally found it the most complicated of them all (right from the begginning it was difficult).

In order of favourite mine are 4,5,2,3,1.

Thank you

Ryan.
TrueWater00

Post by TrueWater00 »

I agree that 4 is a very very good game, im sure a lot of people might disagree though, My favorite in order are 2,1,4,5,3
Heh,I'll make sure you can never make that grin again.I'll chop you up!Ground you up!Dry you in the sun!Break you to pieces!Bury you in the ground!Piss on you!Then i'll dig you up!Pull you!Stretch you!Drag you around!I'll Never Forgive You-Viktor
Blutiger Engel

Post by Blutiger Engel »

Unusual order, Templeton! Good to see some IV fans out there.

Not sure if I answered this topic a long time ago or not, but my favorite is still II (original, I know), despite liking IV quite a bit and replaying IV the most times. IV is short and has my favorite character, so it's fun to play, though I admit it isn't the best as far as games go. II had a lot of translation errors (seemed to have more than the rest) but still is the most addictive and emotional for me. My least favorite of the main series is the first, though I appreciate it for getting the series started and establishing its roots.
jhonsadins

Post by jhonsadins »

I liked forging armors, change of weapon appearance, training hall, and the lifelike movements of the characters. Yes, Lazlo's run was kinda weird, but it was realistic and fluid.
Palmguy

Post by Palmguy »

I realized I never posted here...

My favourite game in orders are : 2, 5, 3/1, Tactic, Tirkris, 4
3 and 1 are a tie as I can't chose which one I prefer. Also, there's a mile between Tactic and Teirkris and a universe between Teirkris and 4

Suikoden II : I just love everything about that game. The Plot is great, the Character are awesome I love the Graphics, the battle system is good too. And it was the first one I played of the series.

Suikoden V: I find that the 5th one was the closest to Suiko II, which might be why I like that much. It went back to the origin of the series that fans loved while keeping the good things of the later instalment (Skill system, for example). The formation were also a good thing. I did think that the plot was a bit far fetched once in a while and I'm still not sure why Lym couldn't have just said "Guards, kill all the Godwins". Since they still sortha listen to her.. That was the weird part. Also, Lucretia is a tad too good for my taste.

Suikoden III : It was a good followup of the first two. We get to see the next generation of heroes and some grown up (Tuta, Futch). I like the Trinity system too although I wouldn't want to see one of it in every game. What I didn't like however, was the point-map and having to always go back to the same area with the three groups. It was getting tedious after a while. Also, I'm not sure if I liked or not the pair-system for the battles. Seems to have both pro's and con's. The Skill system, however, I loved and I'm happy they kept it (well.... sorta) for 5.

Suikoden I: Well, it's hard to hate it being the first of the series. However, I feel that it's more of a "Let's try something and if it works we'll make it better later". I don't really find anything bad about it (other than the graphics. I find the colours to be way too bright for my taste), but I don't find anything great either.

Tactic: I actually really liked it. After wanting to kill every staff member at Konami for making IV, I was pleasantly surprised with Rhapsody. In my little blind world, Konami just made IV to give a background story for Tactic. So yeah, I love SRPG and I think that it was a good one.

Teirkris : Uh... I don't really know where to start. I didn't find it "awful" per say, but jeez that it wasn't good. No real character development, no big plot twist, REALLY easy battles... I like to think of it as a "nice hand-held RPG who has nothing to do with suikoden other than the fact that they both have 108 people to recruit, but that's just a coincidence".

Suikoden IV: Urrrrhg. I despise that one. I hate it, hate it, hate it. The first, I'd say, quarter of the game is good, up until you flee from obel. After that it's just a tedious sea travel game, with a battle system that has just 4 people (why did they do that anyway) and a very poor story. It feels like it's more "Hey, let's pick an island randomly and ask people there to help us fight Koolok!". And the see travel? UUUGH. I also find the graphic bland. The only real thing I liked about it were the War battles, even tho I found them to be super easy, but that could just be me.
Sagiri's_Frown

Post by Sagiri's_Frown »

My favorite is definitely II. I loved the plot, the execution of themes, the characters, the soundtrack, and the introduction of multiple rune slots which made the game so much more customizable. Also, you can use Luc who's one of my favorites in the entire series. And, the few classical and philosophical allusions seemed much more subtle and thought out than most popular media, especially nowadays. When I saw Jowy's last name was Atreides it made me freak, reminding me of the first time I ever saw "Ἀτρεΐδης" in the Iliad.

I'd have to say looking at all the games (minus Tierkreis), my order is II > V > I > III > IV > Rhapsodia
TruThreat31

Re: Favorite game of the main series?

Post by TruThreat31 »

2 was my favorite, but i enjoyed them all
27x4=108

Post by 27x4=108 »

The first time I played Suikoden II I enjoyed so much, but is now when I really see that is the better game I ever played.

In other side, Suikoden III is the game I enjoyed more in the first walk. It was crazy. XD
Sorry for my very bad english! :S

Post by 727 »

Suikoden I holds a very special place in my heart. I just have good memories playing it as a kid and I loved every character within it. II is definitely superior though.
However, V is the best made game and 4 is easily the worst.(I'd rather play suikoroku gaiden lol)
A brand new Suikoden game with a well-written script!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Suikorok ... ?ref=br_tf
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

I don't know....its between suikoden 2 and 5 for me, so I won't vote.

but I will tell you all that if you own a ps3 you would be a fool not to go and download the original suikoden on the Playstation Network for just 3 BUCKS!! and you can even port it to the psp if you want.
Maryukujin

Post by Maryukujin »

Suikoden2 is not only my favorite, but it was the first Suikoden I played as well as the first RPG I ever played. I've played quite a few RPGs looking for one that's as good and I've never found anything close, it remains my favorite game for nearly 10 years now.

Suikoden1 is my second favorite, though I have to get pretty board to go and play it again, it's just hard cause it's so primative in comparison to even the second game.

Out of 3-5 I don't like them as much for different reasons, though there are things I like about them.

3)

Liked: I liked that they added skills, it was a nice addition and a good way to add more depth to making your characters more powerful and allowing for more versatility which is the main thing I like about Suikodens, they have excellent Replay value. I also liked how they moved on the battlefield, though I prefer the classic Random Battle format it wasn't a bad change.

Disliked: I didn't care much for the whole "Pairs" system they used, it limited your control over the party a bit, though this can also be seen as a challenge to some so it's not a entirely a bad thing. I also didn't like how they seemed to have slipped with character design in 3. In my opinion a lot of the characters just weren't as interesting as the ones in pervious games, though it had some good ones. Also they seemed to have added a lot more children, the older games had maybe 2 or 3 kids, but that was it. Suikoden3 seemed to have a lot more youngsters running around.

All in all 3 is probably my favorite Gamplay-wise out of 3-5

4)

Liked: The first one to include voices :) a nice additon, though not unique to the Suikoden series by any means. I also REALLY liked the training room. it was great both for testing your party and having a challenge as well as maxing out your characters. I also was THRILLED that they randomly included Ted and allowed you to use the Soul Eater. I also liked that they let you construct equiment, I'd like ot see them add that to a future game in the series.

Disliked: I think my biggest problem with 4 was that they cut the party size down to 4 from 6. In a game where one of the primary details has always been such a variety of characters I don't really feel it did justice to the series to limit you to 4. I also didn't care for the boat or the island setting, but that's a matter of personal preferance for me and not a flaw in the game. Also they REALLY were lazy when it came to graphics for the runes, I mean even some of the spells in Suikoden2 were more impressive than most of the ones in 4.

This is my least favorite out of the main series.

5)

Liked: I liked how in this one they went back to more like the way 1 and 2 were. Also it had the best character design (in my opinion) since 2. And they brought back Georg (my favorite character)

Disliked: I personally felt that this game seemed to include WAY too many parts that were just running around and talking and not really enough Dungeon/Boss parts, I mean some story parts are needed of course, but it just felt like the cut scenes in this one went on forever.

Out of 3-5 I liked this one for the characters it had and that it's most like 1 and 2 out of the newer games.
FlickVick

Post by FlickVick »

I voted for 5 because I felt it deserved some more loving,
but my favourite would have to be 2!