Favorite game of the main series?

A forum for all general Suikoden related topics.

What is your favorite game of the main series overall?

You may select 1 option

View results

Blutiger Engel

Re: Favorite game of the main series

Post by Blutiger Engel »

Captain Tenneal wrote:Yeah, I still loved III despite that and it's near the top of my list. Speaking of cliches...

The Grand List of Console RPG Cliches
Haha, they're all true!

18. Crono's Complaint
The less the main character talks, the more words are put into his mouth, and therefore the more trouble he gets into through no fault of his own

Hmm, doesn't every main Suikoden besides III come to mind?
Captain Tenneal

Post by Captain Tenneal »

Haha yep. They cited specific games in a lot of them but I think they're fairly universal as far as console RPGs go.
Sagiri

Post by Sagiri »

Thanks for the list it provided me with about an hour of entertainment.

Poor little rich Hero:
If the hero comes from a rich and powerful family, he will have fallen on hard times and be broke and destitute by the time the game actually starts.

This brings the Prince to mind.
It's a pinky promise. If I break my promise you break my pinky.
Captain Tenneal

Post by Captain Tenneal »

Haha, no problem.
Princee

Post by Princee »

I voted suiko 2 :D
I love battling against Luca blight...i reckon he is the hardest boss in suikoden.
Also, you can get Tir in it, so it makes it even better :D
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

I was able to play through the entire series last summer. Surprisingly, I found out that the 5th game is actually my favorite.
Mikalakatov

Post by Mikalakatov »

I love all the games in the series (never did finish V though.... I really hate those beavers) but in the end, 2 is my favorite one. I LOVE Suikoden, but the tragedy of my favorite character dying (always seems to happen to me) makes me too sad to put it as my first slot choice. I would have said IV because he's in there, but crossing the ocean and the "random" battles got really highly annoying. I loved the story though and the characters, but I'm a walking strategy guide for 2 XD And I'm only a walking strategy guide for a handful of games.
eldrasidar

Post by eldrasidar »

gotta go with three. Playing as Geddoe is just a simply unique experience for a Japanese game. He's an old, battered and bruised veteran, rather some 15 year old punk. Playing as him is like being able to play as Georg Prime or Viktor, he's the kind of badass character who knows what he's doing, then again I'm a sucker for those type of chars. I also just like that you get to see all of the heroes reactions, and !gasp! even having dialogues with other characters. Even though the format is a little bit funky, and many gameplay things seem unfinished, I like the game.

as to that grand list, I can't believe they missed the most important ones:

Monsters of any and all types will carry inexplicably large quantities of money, items, or equipment that often have no way of explaining. (why does this wolf have 3 potions and 100 gp on it? I don't know, ate some poor guy?)

Likewise treasure chests will appear in the most unlikely of spots, often unlocked or unprotected, and be always be filled with lots of money or suspiciously handy items. (ah yes, here I am on a small ledge at the end of dangerous dungeon that requires a grappling hook to reach, and there's a treasure chest, who could have left that there? oh well, finders keepers)

finally, the destruction of pots, barrels, shrubs and grass will result in items and money being discovered. Moreover, nobody will ever make you pay for the damage done, and they will instanstly be replaced simply by leaving and coming back to them. (lawn mowers must make so much money in Zelda)
Azadi

Post by Azadi »

Suikoden II is my favorite. I have replayed it sooo many times. I've even made fan art and little fan comics over the years that I've misplaced.. I still like to doodle pictures of Flik and Viktor cuz I love those guys. I also admire Riou. He went through a lot of hardships and still managed to bring an army to victory. He's an amazing hero!
avenger

Post by avenger »

personally, i'd have to say, i don't have any favorites. to me all of the games were excellent. i enjoyed every moment of each game.
Destiny's Warrior

Post by Destiny's Warrior »

Naturally, I will jump on the Suikoden II bandwagon as it was the first of the series I ever played and as everyone knows, it is just sensational.

Suikoden IV holds a place in le ol' heart though as it was the second of the series I played. Disliked it a bit at first, but it grew on me second time.
"It's called 'Sex Panther' by Odeon... It's illegal in 9 countries... Yep, it's made with real bits of panther so you know it's good."

"Are we about to get it on, 'cause i'm as hard as diamond in an ice storm..."
KC_MCDOHL

Post by KC_MCDOHL »

For me (and I know this is cheating) its Suikoden I AND II. I used to always say I pefered Suikoden I when there was just the two of them released, because Suikoden I started it all and I loved the characters in it. Although Suikoden II was overall better - I always had a weakspot for Suikoden I.

Now, however, looking back - I kind of regard Suikoden I and II as the same game. They where so closely linked (storyline, characters, music, appearance etc) that any Suikoden released after them has always felt totaly different - almost like an entriely new series. The first two games for me where pure gold dust - perfection :wink:
Last edited by KC_MCDOHL on Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TrueWater00

Post by TrueWater00 »

ahh KC, I totally agree with you, for me, if i ever want to play through S2 again i always have to play through 1 first, i think of S1 as a little warm up to get into S2. I mean, suikoden 1 isnt that difficult of a game to beat, But i always challenge myself by using different characters, ones that most wouldnt choose to use! like moose! haha, gah i love it ;p
Heh,I'll make sure you can never make that grin again.I'll chop you up!Ground you up!Dry you in the sun!Break you to pieces!Bury you in the ground!Piss on you!Then i'll dig you up!Pull you!Stretch you!Drag you around!I'll Never Forgive You-Viktor
KC_MCDOHL

Post by KC_MCDOHL »

lol yea me too, you HAVE to play Suikoden I before II ...its just the way it is :wink: :lol: I'm quite boring with my characters though - I dont think I've swapped them around too much in the past - I think on my next playthrough (if I ever play again) I'll choose some random chracters too .....like Antonio hahahaha
Arkeus

Post by Arkeus »

S2 hands down no doubt about it, the characters, the story, the battles, the betrayal! its just perfect.