Suikoden IV Reboot-Demake

A forum for all general Suikoden related topics.
ENDmyinitials

Re: Suikoden IV Reboot-Demake

Post by ENDmyinitials »

I just finished our intro for the game, it took almost 3 hours. It's 5:44am as I am writing this, and I have not slept yet, lol... But I will now. Hope you guys enjoy it! Good night team.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMJSi2n ... e=youtu.be
Pesmerga VS. Yuber

Post by Pesmerga VS. Yuber »

What you're doing seems promising, although I get discouraged when I see this being all over the place. I'm afraid this might fall to pieces if it continues developing erratically like this. I would suggest focusing on finishing the sprites, that's a strength you have, compared to making videos.
Power?
Am I looking for Power?
Ever since...The first day I saw you...
I somehow knew...That we would be friends.
I was never lonely...Because you were there.
We chose...Life and death together.
I believed in you...Always...
ENDmyinitials

Post by ENDmyinitials »

Pesmerga VS. Yuber wrote:What you're doing seems promising, although I get discouraged when I see this being all over the place. I'm afraid this might fall to pieces if it continues developing erratically like this. I would suggest focusing on finishing the sprites, that's a strength you have, compared to making videos.
Well, atm I need to focus on other things to make sure the game will run. Idk if most of you guys understand that rpg maker has its limits, I am doing what I can to surpass those limits. Atm I am making a few tile maps, I have character like lazlo, jewel, tal, paula, and ken who are fully walkable sprites. I need to test out the tiles with the sprites. I need to get comfortable with a style so I can map, sprite, and put all the scripts together.

Don't worry, this project won't fall apart, I have a good team right now, that's why it seems like it's everywhere. I'm a spriter, mapper, artist, and developer. Hermit is a spriter, sticky is a great artist, and Bruce P is a great story teller/writer.

If everyone is just focusing on one thing this game will be a turtle. Atm I know Hermit is doing sprites so I went to do some mapping. Fighting poses can wait until later.
ENDmyinitials

Post by ENDmyinitials »

Is everyone okay with this style of mapping? I made a few items, and building wall, and floor. Just wanted to show you guys what I did so far.

gifs upload
HolyPaladin

Post by HolyPaladin »

ENDmyinitials wrote:Is everyone okay with this style of mapping? I made a few items, and building wall, and floor. Just wanted to show you guys what I did so far.
Although I'm not a experienced artist and a second opinion is always a good thing, I would say it looks pleasant to my eyes and reminds me plenty of the proportions set by S1 & S2.

The only real question I feel I can ask a non-artist is which town will this be? It looks like Razril to me. Also, we should definitely strive to make every town distinct from each other. S4's original tileset (for lack of a better word) reminds me a lot of the original version of FF4 in that the towns were pretty much carbon copies of each other, especially with castles like the ones from the ninjadom of Eblan, the monastic kingdom of Fabul, and medieval kingdom of Baron all sharing the same tileset despite having vastly different cultures.

So, like in the FF4 DS Remake where each nation made to look separate from each other, we should strive to do the same in the Demake. For example, maybe Razril and Middleport can like similar since they both belonged to Gaien at one time, since Middleport had long since gained its independence from Gaien years ago while Razril still probably looks like Gaien after all these years, I would think Middleport should look like both a natural offshoot of Razril and what Razril would look like if it had the same wealth as Middleport.
Showcasing Q here because he's the man! 8) Er, robot. :oops: Wait, cyborg...? :? OK, just what is Q, anyway?!
Oh, and please call me Paladin for short.
ENDmyinitials

Post by ENDmyinitials »

HolyPaladin wrote:
ENDmyinitials wrote:Is everyone okay with this style of mapping? I made a few items, and building wall, and floor. Just wanted to show you guys what I did so far.
Although I'm not a experienced artist and a second opinion is always a good thing, I would say it looks pleasant to my eyes and reminds me plenty of the proportions set by S1 & S2.

The only real question I feel I can ask a non-artist is which town will this be? It looks like Razril to me. Also, we should definitely strive to make every town distinct from each other. S4's original tileset (for lack of a better word) reminds me a lot of the original version of FF4 in that the towns were pretty much carbon copies of each other, especially with castles like the ones from the ninjadom of Eblan, the monastic kingdom of Fabul, and medieval kingdom of Baron all sharing the same tileset despite having vastly different cultures.

So, like in the FF4 DS Remake where each nation made to look separate from each other, we should strive to do the same in the Demake. For example, maybe Razril and Middleport can like similar since they both belonged to Gaien at one time, since Middleport had long since gained its independence from Gaien years ago while Razril still probably looks like Gaien after all these years, I would think Middleport should look like both a natural offshoot of Razril and what Razril would look like if it had the same wealth as Middleport.
Good idea Paladin.

Yes this is the prototype Razril with a lot of missing tiles. I will keep that in mind when I get that far
Roshambeaux

Post by Roshambeaux »

In terms of graphics, it definitely reminds me of Suikoden I. The floor and the building looks a little dull, but that's probably because of the lack of doodads and people walking about.
A raw tomato for the win!
ENDmyinitials

Post by ENDmyinitials »

Roshambeaux wrote:In terms of graphics, it definitely reminds me of Suikoden I. The floor and the building looks a little dull, but that's probably because of the lack of doodads and people walking about.
Yeah I agree, it does look like Suikoden 1 style a bit. Suikoden 2 art is a hard one. I think once I add people, signs, barrels, etc. Like you said, it will probably not look so dull.
HolyPaladin

Post by HolyPaladin »

ENDmyinitials wrote:Good idea Paladin.

Yes this is the prototype Razril with a lot of missing tiles. I will keep that in mind when I get that far
Thanks!

And, the fact that I can tell right off the bat is an excellent indication that you have a great grasp of the Suikoden sprite style already.
Roshambeaux wrote:In terms of graphics, it definitely reminds me of Suikoden I. The floor and the building looks a little dull, but that's probably because of the lack of doodads and people walking about.
Thanks Roshambeaux!

This is what I wanted to say, that it looked a little washed out, but I don't think looking like Suikoden I is a bad thing since S4 is themed after S1 (and, a little bit too heavily, I might add :| ).
Pesmerga VS. Yuber wrote:What you're doing seems promising, although I get discouraged when I see this being all over the place. I'm afraid this might fall to pieces if it continues developing erratically like this.
I wouldn't worry TOO much. To add on to what END was saying, as long as we know and respect each other's limits and encourage one another, however long this project takes us even if that means years, we should be good to getting it done.

Besides that, I'm sure even professional game development starts out this scattershot but the closer the game comes to being finished, the easier it is to narrow down all the ideas that will ACTUALLY go into the game and ideas that can be used either in a sequel or another game. For example, this is how Chrono Trigger came to be; from things I've read up on and IIRC, Chrono Trigger is actually an offshoot from the Mana series of games, it even still has coding, IIRC, from Secret of Mana or Seiken Densetsu 3.
ENDmyinitials wrote:Yeah I agree, it does look like Suikoden 1 style a bit. Suikoden 2 art is a hard one. I think once I add people, signs, barrels, etc. Like you said, it will probably not look so dull.
I agree; once you add everything in, it should mimic Suikoden I's style well. Also, great job on the fish and flower crates; they look like there straight from a Suikoden game.

And lastly, like I was telling Pesmerga VS. Yuber, like I've read, even Murayama used Suikoden I as a testing ground to get great enough to make the game he actually wanted to make, Suikoden II. So, with time, END, I'm sure you'll eventually be able to accomplish mastery of the Suikoden II style, and like I was saying, you already have a great grasp of the style right now.
Showcasing Q here because he's the man! 8) Er, robot. :oops: Wait, cyborg...? :? OK, just what is Q, anyway?!
BrucePrintscreen

Post by BrucePrintscreen »

Pesmerga VS. Yuber wrote:What you're doing seems promising, although I get discouraged when I see this being all over the place. I'm afraid this might fall to pieces if it continues developing erratically like this.
Do not worry, this topic is the way we interact with the rest of the community to see their reactions to what we do and test things with a wider audience. The core group that END mentioned uses other medium to develop further.
suiken

Post by suiken »

Looks like you also did some gundam work. Can I ask you to make a gundam game with me after this project is done? I'm trying to make a SRW-clone gundam game. I needed an animated sprites but I have no knowledge in doing it and I'm still kinda amateur with RPGMaker.

On topic:

Looking good! You get the image of what Razril looks like. Just need a little works on the tilesets. Only one color of tile would be kind of confusing. Maybe you should make lighter/darker tiles for the pathways.
ENDmyinitials

Post by ENDmyinitials »

suiken wrote:Looks like you also did some gundam work. Can I ask you to make a gundam game with me after this project is done? I'm trying to make a SRW-clone gundam game. I needed an animated sprites but I have no knowledge in doing it and I'm still kinda amateur with RPGMaker.

On topic:

Looking good! You get the image of what Razril looks like. Just need a little works on the tilesets. Only one color of tile would be kind of confusing. Maybe you should make lighter/darker tiles for the pathways.

Off-Topic:
Last year I was making a gundam game, and had a lot of sprites made, but lost it after my computer crashed
adult photo sharing
image upload no compression

On-topic:
I didn't make the floor tiles, I just liked the way my friend made it. Sticky-rune is making me a layout of razril which will help me.

I had walking sprites for everyone, but sure we can look into that in the future.
HolyPaladin

Post by HolyPaladin »

ENDmyinitials wrote:Off-Topic:
Last year I was making a gundam game, and had a lot of sprites made, but lost it after my computer crashed
Very nice work on the sprites! It's too bad about losing them, though.
ENDmyinitials wrote:On-topic:
Sticky-rune is making me a layout of razril which will help me.
Now that you mention layout, I realized that a lot of the towns need to be filled out with important details and personal touches.

For example, Razril's Knights' Academy and Obel's Palace needs to expanded. For all the soldiers and important people they're supposed to house, S4's left it hard to tell with how bare both places were. Neither need to be Rockaxe big, but Rockaxe does serve as a great example of the types of facilities necessary to handle such large forces.

Right know, I'm currently watching Suikoden IV walkthroughs to both refresh my memories of the story arcs and check music usage.

The first thing that sticks out in my mind concerning music usage, so far, is the lack of boss music for human opponents. I know there was some initial hesitance to use Tactics music in the Demake, but we might want to consider making an exception as far as human boss are concerned. I know that one of the suggestions would be to just use the current boss music; I tried it out and feels too impersonal for human bosses while being absolutely perfect for monster bosses. I think the only other probably solution if we didn't use Tactics music is to use the Duel music for human boss which works out amazingly well and use Mitsuba's Duel theme for all the duels but wasn't sure how that'd be received.

The fact remains, though, that outside of using the regular battle music for the opening battle with Glen and Katarina since it's supposed to serve as your intro to regular battles, the regular battle theme CANNOT continue to be used for human bosses. Using the regular battle music tales out all the tension and urgency of fighting a human; the same goes for the current boss battle theme as well. Anyway, what are you guys' opinion on this subject?
BrucePrintscreen

Post by BrucePrintscreen »

I do not have an opinion on the music - you should not ask my opinion on the music, otherwise you will find yourself with jazz fusion all through the game.

But I totally agree that Razril and Obel are too small, we even had a conversationa bout it with sticky through other mediums. The city of razril and the academy should be expanded. Sticky told me plenty of nice ideas for Razril academy.

Just fleshed out the part with Brandeau's attack on your ship, will tell you more about it in private, believe it or not but I managed to insert a first, little dungeon there :D