So, apparently there's a Suikoden board game. Sort of.

A forum for all general Suikoden related topics.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

So, apparently there's a Suikoden board game. Sort of.

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

I recently got some volumes of Genso Shinso and was looking through them and in the back there's usually some little Suikoden-themed present, postcards, memory card stickers, posters or something like that. But in Vol.3 there was something else. A board game.

I haven't seen this before so I took some pictures of it, you get a fold out playing board and a bunch of small cutout images of characters from Suikoden I and II to use as pieces.

http://www.klueze.com/suiko/board.jpg
http://www.klueze.com/suiko/pieces.jpg

I'm currently down with a cold so I'm not exactly in a thinking mood, but once I'm better and get some time I'll see if I can scan the board and all the pieces without ruining the book and translate the board and rules if someone wants to try it out sometime. Just FYI the title isn't more imaginative than "Genso Suikoden Genso Shinso Board Game".
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
Antimatzist

Re: So, apparently there's a Suikoden board game. Sort of.

Post by Antimatzist »

Wow, that's cool! I like how the board represents your way through the city-state.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Interesting. Especially how you have to go out of the way to get from Tinto to Highland.

I miss Genso Shinso.
BrucePrintscreen

Post by BrucePrintscreen »

Sounds exciting!

What is Genso Shinso?
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Genso Shinso was a Konami endorsed fanzine about Suikoden which would tend to have a theme of some sort every issue, the information within ranged from official to speculative. It would have interviews and Q&A's with the developers, walkthroughs, secrets, maps, character biographies, Hai Yo recipes, official and fanart etc. Kind of like a Suikosource in book form though with some actual input from Konami.

Stopped being published in 2004 and the last issue focused on upcoming Suikoden IV.
Piisuke

Post by Piisuke »

Interesting, though the boardgame looks like a cheap version of Game of the Goose, or like a Game of Life.

Never knew about the fanzine though, that's pretty interesting actually!
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Rules are simple. You'll need a six-sided die and one character-piece per player. To reach the goal you need an exact roll.

Translated board and one piece sheet available here.

Original map dimensions are about 36 cm x 27 cm, the character pieces are 1 cm x 5,8 cm.
To remove the Japanese text in the upper right would require someone much better at Photoshop than I am thus it's been left rather than leave an obvious hole.

The character pieces scanned in really poorly, but you can essentially create a character piece from any artwork from any game if you wanted. Obviously you could use pretty much anything as a stand-in for the pieces, from another game or whatever you have.

I made some simple ones from various characters of the series as an example.

You cut them out, fold in middle, fold out the bits at the bottom to use as a stand and voilá. Obviously you'd need thicker than normal paper in order for them to not be flimsy.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Raww Le Klueze wrote: Original map dimensions are about 36 cm x 27 cm, the character pieces are 1 cm x 5,8 cm.
To remove the Japanese text in the upper right would require someone much better at Photoshop than I am thus it's been left rather than leave an obvious hole.
Can't you just put text with a thin white box background? It only covers a tiny bit of the mountains and shoreline.

Any way, it's a good idea for a nice little board game. Easier than making your own video game!
BrucePrintscreen

Post by BrucePrintscreen »

Thanks a lot Raww :) Awesome work!
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

lol awesome...