Battle/Skills system

A forum for questions and discussions about the PSP game roughly translated as "The Woven Web of a Century"
Rooks

Re: Battle/Skills system

Post by Rooks »

Uh, no. I am confused as to where we disagree. I said it would be odd to have Runes under a sub-menu, meaning unlikely. I just choose an understated word in an attempt to be nice to the new guy and to try to get him to speak up more. I guess that failed though.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Weren't the runes in the sub-menu, anyway? In other Suikoden games, I mean?
"F*** you, I'm a goat." -Yohn
Akihiko

Post by Akihiko »

Rachael wrote:Weren't the runes in the sub-menu, anyway? In other Suikoden games, I mean?
They were an option when you chose Fight.
Ellyos

Post by Ellyos »

Well no, except if you consider as sub-menu the menu for each character : "Attack | Rune | Unite | Defend | Item" and as main menu the first one : "Fight | Auto | Run/release | Bribe".

EDIT : By the way, when I look the screenshot, they have probably dropped the first menu to merge it in each character menu.
EDIT 2 : And I see "Item" is also missing, that's weird...
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Akihiko wrote:They were an option when you chose Fight.
Yeah, that. Isn't that technically a sub-menu?

Someone mentioned skill points. That reminds me of the AP (Ability Points?) in Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria.

I can't say I'm a huge fan of that. I guess it all comes down to the same thing--basically one turn per character, maybe 1 or 2 extra, minus any "time" you want to use for items--but I still prefer the old way of doing things.

Guess I'm prone to "They changed it, now it sucks" as well.
"F*** you, I'm a goat." -Yohn
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

With Konami not revealing any further info on gameplay, it's probably premature to get overly worked up about these options. It'd be weird if magic spells and items are sub-menu items under Skills though.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

another possibility is they don't have magic or runes (or items) equipped to the character (or even that character can't do those actions) and the menu only populates with what you can do.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/01/10/su ... -sub-jobs/
There will be classes and sub jobs, master/apprentice system.. and it seems your party is limited to 3 masters + 3 apprentices?
Another change sounds like each "turn" is going to use "will points" system that probably is kept either for the entire party or per character, letting you do multiple actions, then the new turn will reset the will points.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

They weren't kidding when they advertised 108 Skills in that promo movie!
dragonmasterx
Elite Member

Post by dragonmasterx »

Leveling skills is somewhat fun, but at the same time, it feels kind of pointless. Main character + healer + 2 mages + 2 more physical fighters = win. Magic damage easily doubles physical damage. Bards and hexers are useless. Then again, having lots of useless characters has always been a staple of Suikoden.

I find it very illogical of them to remove the front row/back row element of gameplay. It would've added more variety to the skills. As they are in this game, it pretty much boils down to amount of damage dealt and single or group effect.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Too bad I started collecting Skills much later than I should have, so I didn't get much use out of the non-fighters earlier on. It was only when Zephon officially joins the rank that they started to shine, for me.

I don't even know why anyone would bother with bards or hexers. The latter remained especially useless for the longest of time, until they finally got access to their final skills.

But, par for the Suikoden course, the game gets easy enough as long as you keep up with getting the latest equipments and skills that even less optimum parties can win against those enemies with minimal extra difficulty anyway. Just don't be stupid and form a party of 2 bards, 2 hexes accompanied with a weak ninja and the Hero, etc.

The action point system helps keeping weaker skills relevant though, as dishing out those 50-point final skills every round is near impossible without a dedicated healer replenishing those points every turn.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

what are all the classes...

what is the battle system like, do you give commands in pairs like in Suikoden 3? are attack skills separate from magic...
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

9 Battle Classes:
Fencer
Lancer
Kenpo Fighter
Ninja
Archer
Mage
Hexer
Bard
Medic

All classes can learn up to 6 skills each, which are exclusive to characters of the same class. Different skills from the same class are mainly differentiated by whether they are for single or group targets, and by relative amount of damage inflicted/healed.

For Archer/Mage/Hexer/Medic, their skills require additional materials produced by the arrow/magic stone/hex stone/medicine makers in your HQ. Archers do have an unlimited default arrows, but the rest cannot cast/use anything if you don't have the right materials. Different arrows/stones have different elements (Fire, Ice, etc; 6 varieties in all). Whereas different medicines are for different healing purposes (HP, ability points, status effects, etc; also 6 varieties here).

I know there's the sub-class system that allows you to reskill your characters into other classes (available options are unique to each character supposedly), but I never got access to any until the very end of the game. Maybe I'll spend more time exploring these other options once I go back for a 108 ending playthrough.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

are these stones like consumable items or do you just need them equipped and they are pretty much like runes?
ninjaluc79

Post by ninjaluc79 »

So this is the only Suikoden asides V where mages can actually become stronger than fighters?
It's not all about knowledge, but it helps.