Battle/Skills system

A forum for questions and discussions about the PSP game roughly translated as "The Woven Web of a Century"
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Battle/Skills system

Post by KFCrispy »

hoping ppl can post what they know about the battle & skills system here.
a screenshot definitely shows a party of 6. there seem to be AP points used for each action... etc

thanks!
Rooks

Re: Battle/Skills system

Post by Rooks »

Facts that can be in inferred from this picture:

1: 6- person party system

2: Characters seem to be able to have more than 999 HP

3: There is a separate bar above the HP totals that seems to max out at 100 points, regardless of the character.

4: Several of the actions on the menu have the same icon as the top bar, with numbers beside them.

5: There is a front and a rear row.

6: The two characters in the center appear to have their portraits highlighted together.

7: It looks like Gold Boars are making a return.

8: According to Rachel, these are the menu options (from top to bottom):

Together
Attack
Skill
Great Defense
Defense
Tactics
Flee

Thanks again to Rachael for the translation work.
Last edited by Rooks on Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

You're welcome!

It's "Rachael," by the way. ;)
"F*** you, I'm a goat." -Yohn
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

I get the impression that the green orb is likely some sort of Action Point system, where certain actions drain (or fill) the green bar. Since Great Defense has a 20 next to the green icon, I'll go with filling the bar (why would that use up more AP than attacking/unites?).
Formerly known as: Gothann
Rooks

Post by Rooks »

Rachael wrote:You're welcome!

It's "Rachael," by the way. ;)
What are you talking about? I totally got that right the first time *whistles nonchalantly*

Yeah, the main issue is whether or not this bar fills or is depleted. If it fills it could be a Limit Break-type system, if it depletes, then that is a different story. Lufia II had an interesting system where getting hit by enemies filled an Item Points gauge, then the equipment that you had had certain abilities that expended anywhere from 5% to 100% of that gauge. So, you had to choose your equipment more on what abilities it let you use rather than its stats. This is not likely to be anything like that, but maybe it fills and is spent in the same manner.

Initially there was talk of the Top Bar being MP. But why then would the Fighter Characters have the same MP total as the mages? I think we can base our assupmtions on the idea that this is not MP and is some type of Ability Points gauge.

As far as "Great Defense." This could be interesting, maybe it is a command that raises the Dodge/Block and Counter Attack rating through the roof, allowing tanks to deal significant damage while defending if they get attacked.

"Together" is self-explanitory. At least we know Unites are making a return, in whatever form.

Tactics could refer to different Formations like in Suikoden V. That could be very cool if done right.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Unfortunately, at this juncture, it appears that both Runes and Marks of the Stars are missing from the menu selection.

And, it appears that Skills are now usable as in-battle commands, compared to previous incarnations where they are managed outside battles to enhance characters' performance.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

no Item option either! definitely still a lot of information they haven't given us.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Rooks wrote:What are you talking about? I totally got that right the first time *whistles nonchalantly*
Ha! It's no problem, since you didn't make a fuss about it. :)
"F*** you, I'm a goat." -Yohn
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Rooks wrote: 6: The two characters in the center appear to have their portraits highlighted together.
I'd say this is because the "Together" option is "selected" at the moment and these are the characters that can do a unite. Or maybe they also changed the unite system somehow.. I don't know.

About missing items: Maybe it is a Skill now rather than a fixed option. A lot of games have this, like some FFs.
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

Antimatzist wrote: I'd say this is because the "Together" option is "selected" at the moment and these are the characters that can do a unite. Or maybe they also changed the unite system somehow.. I don't know.
I wouldn't be surprised if they were bringing back the character pairings from Suikoden 3. "Together" is highlighted, but doesn't seem to have an active sub-menu for choosing who will attack together, only the two center characters (center column?).

That would make for an extremely varied (or very bland) Unite system.
Formerly known as: Gothann
Akihiko

Post by Akihiko »

I'm guessing that maybe the Skill option represents magic/Runes, although there is no information if Runes will even be in this game. Regardless I think there will be some type of magic attacks.

The green bar, to me, looks almost like an Active Time Battle bar (like in various FFs). It may also represent some kind of 'special attack' when it's full.
Rooks

Post by Rooks »

That's an interesting idea. The green bar could very well be that. Also, there is no reason that Runes could not be on a sub-menu, though that would be very odd considering how important they are to the other games.

If the green bar is an Action bar, I imagine that means they are ditching the full turn-based system and at least going with some kind of hybrid turn/real time system though. Honestly, I would be dissapointed if that were the case, as anytime you go to a real-time battle, strategy becomes less and less important.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Rooks wrote:Also, there is no reason that Runes could not be on a sub-menu
Aside from the fact that the magic casting looks nothing like rune casting and the fact that that they keep saying "magic stones" not runes?
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
Rooks

Post by Rooks »

Yeah, the keep saying "Magic Stones," but for all we know at this point they may be replacing magic scrolls with magic stones, not runes. The rest of what you said made no sense.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Rooks wrote:The rest of what you said made no sense.
Is it the word "casting" that befuddles you? It simply means "using" in this context. And yes, we've seen them use magic in the trailer, and as I pointed out back then it looks nothing like when characters use runes in the other games.

Not that it makes runes impossible to be in a sub-menu, but it's two reasons that makes it unlikely.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.