News from Famitsu Magazine (10/19)

A forum for questions and discussions about the PSP game roughly translated as "The Woven Web of a Century"
Runemaster

Re: News from Famitsu Magazine (10/19)

Post by Runemaster »

Wait, the other thread had someone translate it as Ionian. That would screw it but which of the two translations is more accurate?

edit: Where and when exactly was Aronia said in Suikoden?
I will bring Lordlake's fate... to the entire Suikoden World! weeeeeeh!
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

A Romaji converter I just used says アイオニア = aionia so I guess this is the literal conversion, but I guess they will change it later. What is Aronia in Japanese?
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

If Ionian is pronounced similar to ion, then it's just as valid a transliteration, at this point.
Until Konami reveals its own official transliteration, that is.
(Ionia is likely the preferred name though, since it's an actual real world location)

The star assignment is quite straightforward as well, but I kind of wish they wouldn't reveal it outside the game though, since discovering their assignments were part of the fun of recruiting them all. After all, it took me a while to accept that Liu-Shen was chosen by the classic main strategist's star in Tierkreis, after the Lucretia.
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

"Ionia" (the actual location, such as the "Ionian Sea") is pronounced differently in Japanese, and would be イオニア。
It will rarely be written as アイオニア.
Flufflez

Post by Flufflez »

is it just me or does this game have a very similar plot to ffx?
Zer0

Post by Zer0 »

Flufflez wrote:is it just me or does this game have a very similar plot to ffx?
Sounds closer to Chrono Trigger tbh.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

I thought "FF X??", too. A monster which comes after some time where it didn't come and a guy from another time is coming to stop it. I seriously hope this plot will be better, because FF X's became incredibly stupid.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

primierra wrote:Is Holy Imperial army related to Holy harmonia? just curious.
There is no indication that it has any connection to Harmonia.

And as others have said, it's pronounced like "ion." There's no official transliteration yet, so I chose what I thought looked cool. Aionia or Ionia? Ducas or Ducasse? Gino or Jino? It's all up to me! :twisted:

But the characters do clearly say "Aio" (アイオ) and not "Aro" (アロ). So if Aronia was the "proto-Harmonia," so to speak, then there is no reason to assume that Aionia has any connection to Harmonia.

I failed to look up "ion" in Japanese and it is indeed pronounced like the word "eon." Now if I want to deviate from the roomaji spelling, I'll have to call it "Ayonia" or something equally dumb. Aionia it is.

Then again, if they were trying to approximate the English pronunciation, it could still be Ionia...
"F*** you, I'm a goat." -Yohn
Raou

Post by Raou »

Antimatzist wrote:I thought "FF X??", too. A monster which comes after some time where it didn't come and a guy from another time is coming to stop it. I seriously hope this plot will be better, because FF X's became incredibly stupid.
It won't be quite as stupid as FFX. Here's why:

1.) I haven't met a Suikoden main character yet as WHINY as Tidus.
2.) Hopefully they won't stick a Canadian ball player visiting Hawaii (Wakka) in there as some way to give players someone to hate more than Tidus.
3.) From what I read, the main character in the game won't have massive amounts of pent up daddy issue anger.
4.) No one in Suikoden ever looked like Meg Ryan. Just saying. I think.
5.) Final Fantasy X's story line became so...bland toward the end. With Suikoden, it at least tries to keep it exciting (I, II, V and parts of III).
6.) Characters in Suikoden have more backstory than most of FFX's character line up. No one has less story than Auron and Jecht, with what little we see being of when they served Yuna's father. Wait, no...pretty much EVERYONE in Final Fantasy has less backstory than the whole sum of the Suikoden games combined. Only exception there is FFXII -- and that's stretching it.
7.) There's no 'Auto-Life' to save your kiester in Suikoden final battles. At least Konami lets you have the option of dying.
8.) While themes reoccur in the Suikoden games, at least they try to make them a little different while FFX had dressed up and revamped summons from old games with a few new ones.

I was going to stretch it to ten reasons but I ran out. Although I can get where people can get the whole 'Sin' connection....let's just hope that mommy or daddy dearest in this new Suikoden isn't the monster born of the dead parents soul. That'd be stupid yet...oddly befitting.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

So you are saying Jeane and Viki (known story staples) have more backstory than Auron and Jecht?

While I appreciate Suikoden as a whole more than I do Final Fantasy, let us not deny credits where it is due.
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

Ok, said person obviously didn't stray far from the story when it came to finding out some extra stuff about Jecht and Auron. A shame really.

"1.) I haven't met a Suikoden main character yet as WHINY as Tidus."
The man found out he was the creation of some people dreaming, cut him some slack.

"2.) Hopefully they won't stick a Canadian ball player visiting Hawaii (Wakka) in there as some way to give players someone to hate more than Tidus."
Why did Tidus have to be Canadian? He doesn't sound very Canadian to me.

"3.) From what I read, the main character in the game won't have massive amounts of pent up daddy issue anger."
Did he have the life that Tidus had? No? Well, there you go then.

"4.) No one in Suikoden ever looked like Meg Ryan. Just saying. I think."
Nope, no one in Suikoden ever looked like someone that was nominated for 3 golden globes. Seriously, the hair is THE only thing that resembles her in the slightest, is that such a big deal? Geez.

"5.) Final Fantasy X's story line became so...bland toward the end. With Suikoden, it at least tries to keep it exciting (I, II, V and parts of III)."
And right here you kind of dropped the ball. Suikoden V tried to keep it exciting? With a strategist that has no worthy opponent, no hard battles at all, nothing hard about the game, nothing that actually keeps it exciting? Either you and I played different versions of V, because the one I played was a REUSED version of I and II, or you clearly missunderstand the term exciting.

"6.) Characters in Suikoden have more backstory than most of FFX's character line up. No one has less story than Auron and Jecht, with what little we see being of when they served Yuna's father. Wait, no...pretty much EVERYONE in Final Fantasy has less backstory than the whole sum of the Suikoden games combined. Only exception there is FFXII -- and that's stretching it. "
Yeah, no... There's bunch of misc. characters in Suikoden that has little or no backstory at all.

"7.) There's no 'Auto-Life' to save your kiester in Suikoden final battles. At least Konami lets you have the option of dying."
You don't actually need to use this. Problem solved.

"8.) While themes reoccur in the Suikoden games, at least they try to make them a little different while FFX had dressed up and revamped summons from old games with a few new ones."
Ah yes. Because let it be known, nothing from Suikoden has ever been re-used, dressed up or revamped!
Raou

Post by Raou »

Hirathien wrote:Ok, said person obviously didn't stray far from the story when it came to finding out some extra stuff about Jecht and Auron. A shame really.

"1.) I haven't met a Suikoden main character yet as WHINY as Tidus."
The man found out he was the creation of some people dreaming, cut him some slack.

"2.) Hopefully they won't stick a Canadian ball player visiting Hawaii (Wakka) in there as some way to give players someone to hate more than Tidus."
Why did Tidus have to be Canadian? He doesn't sound very Canadian to me.

"3.) From what I read, the main character in the game won't have massive amounts of pent up daddy issue anger."
Did he have the life that Tidus had? No? Well, there you go then.

"4.) No one in Suikoden ever looked like Meg Ryan. Just saying. I think."
Nope, no one in Suikoden ever looked like someone that was nominated for 3 golden globes. Seriously, the hair is THE only thing that resembles her in the slightest, is that such a big deal? Geez.

"5.) Final Fantasy X's story line became so...bland toward the end. With Suikoden, it at least tries to keep it exciting (I, II, V and parts of III)."
And right here you kind of dropped the ball. Suikoden V tried to keep it exciting? With a strategist that has no worthy opponent, no hard battles at all, nothing hard about the game, nothing that actually keeps it exciting? Either you and I played different versions of V, because the one I played was a REUSED version of I and II, or you clearly missunderstand the term exciting.

"6.) Characters in Suikoden have more backstory than most of FFX's character line up. No one has less story than Auron and Jecht, with what little we see being of when they served Yuna's father. Wait, no...pretty much EVERYONE in Final Fantasy has less backstory than the whole sum of the Suikoden games combined. Only exception there is FFXII -- and that's stretching it. "
Yeah, no... There's bunch of misc. characters in Suikoden that has little or no backstory at all.

"7.) There's no 'Auto-Life' to save your kiester in Suikoden final battles. At least Konami lets you have the option of dying."
You don't actually need to use this. Problem solved.

"8.) While themes reoccur in the Suikoden games, at least they try to make them a little different while FFX had dressed up and revamped summons from old games with a few new ones."
Ah yes. Because let it be known, nothing from Suikoden has ever been re-used, dressed up or revamped!
I posted most of that out of humor. I played well over 60 hours into FFX but still felt it was bland near the end, which is how I felt for the Suikodens I mentioned. Of course there were elements of I and II reused in V, but I felt more excited playing it than FFX. And sure, Auron and Jecht had more backstory. I merely was being funny.

And the Canadian ball player I meant was Wakka. Not Tidus. At least Wakka sounded Canadian to me. lol.