Initial fan discussion (Canon or not canon?)

A forum for questions and discussions about the PSP game roughly translated as "The Woven Web of a Century"
Piisuke

Re: NEW SUIKODEN ANNOUNCED BY KONAMI!!! (9-17-2011)

Post by Piisuke »

Celedril wrote:But I haven't dismissed it. I said it's likely to be crap. I'm hoping it isn't, but I see little to suggest it won't be, even if what I see is only very little. That little preview tells the informed viewer a lot in its 35 seconds, actually, even if you aren't willing or able to see it. But I hope it and you prove me wrong.

Well, those little spin offs are trying to cash in on the brand, so I count them...even if they are failed efforts and highly tangential.

Anyway, we all continue to hope...
But you did dismiss it. You judged the game, based on the 47 seconds of clips you've seen and on comments made by Konami in the past. That's not even good enough to say you judged a book by its cover. You judged a book by looking at the name that's on the side.

Also, cor blimey, anything with the name Suikoden you count? What about the anime that has nothing to do with the games?

JiggleBiscuits wrote:
Darkbeat wrote:Hey look, you've done the same thing, dismissed the game as crap despite the fact you know nothing about it.
Same director as Tierkreis.

Same "canon" as Tierkreis - therefore not a real Suikoden game.

That's all I need to know.
But you don't know! I'm surprised how much people think they know, simply by looking at a trailer that's less than 50 seconds long.
Darkbeat

Post by Darkbeat »

JiggleBiscuits wrote:
Darkbeat wrote:Hey look, you've done the same thing, dismissed the game as crap despite the fact you know nothing about it.
Same director as Tierkreis.

Same "canon" as Tierkreis - therefore not a real Suikoden game.

That's all I need to know.
1. Osamu Komuta is directing? I didn't know that, but that's good news! (Hint: He was also the director for Suikoden V)

2. You don't know that.
כל העולם כולו גשר צר מאוד, והעיקר - לא לפחד כלל
All the world is a very narrow bridge, the most important thing is not to be afraid.
- R' Nachman
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Uh, V was directed by Takahiro Sakiyama. The only credit Komuta has there is a special thanks.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
Darkbeat

Post by Darkbeat »

Raww Le Klueze wrote:Uh, V was directed by Takahiro Sakiyama. The only credit Komuta has there is a special thanks.
You're right, it was Tactics/Rhapsodia that Komuta directed.
All the world is a very narrow bridge, the most important thing is not to be afraid.
- R' Nachman
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

That's Makoto Suda. Komuta was game planner and programmer according Tactics credtis.
Darkbeat

Post by Darkbeat »

Raww Le Klueze wrote:That's Makoto Suda. Komuta was game planner and programmer according Tactics credtis.
IMDb credits him as the director, but that's a fairly easy mistake to make if he had that great a role in it.

Regardless, is it confirmed that he will be directing this game?
- R' Nachman
Rooks

Post by Rooks »

Darkbeat wrote:
Regardless, is it confirmed that he will be directing this game?
Yeah I second that question. That would give us some actual info on the direction Konami is taking with the game.

I don't really know what else to say here. The negativity is confounding. A week ago many of us were wondering whether Konami had abandoned or forgotten the series, now we have a definitive answer for that, and that should make us happy. Yeah, bad games happen, especially in a long series like this one, but I guess it comes down to waiting until we no more. Very few things can be extrapolated from this teaser trailer. By their very nature teasers are not supposed to actually establish concrete details but rather perk interest.

Before I finally got out of that hell-hole of an industry. I worked in Film Distribution, and I can tell you they often make teaser trailers for films before principle shooting is finished. It is likely the same here in the game industry.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

He should be busy on Frontier Gate, but nothing says he can't try and direct two games at once. Can't say it'd be optimal though.
marduktyran

Post by marduktyran »

Hi guys, I'd like to ask these questions to all the fans that you are:

1) First of all, do you think that the suikoden team is disbanded is a false information or is it true, in which case was it disbanded BEFORE or AFTER this new suikoden production?

2) Everyone is missing the first trilogy . I've made my idea that if the two last suikoden are not called "suikoden VI" or suikoden VII" , it's because when they tried to create again the universe of the real world of suikoden(IV , V), they missed. So they did spin off , to bring new fans with a new universe, multiple worlds etc, which was also a failure (to me)...
So to revive their most famous RPG, Konami decided to make the creator back, M Murayama, who answered that he'd prefer "not cross the rubicon".
So my question is: do you think that the main plot is dead as soon as Murayama refuses to come back to Konami?
Scotts

Post by Scotts »

1) Disbanded before. Parts of the team might be working on this, but that team never seemed to be the one who worked on the main series anyway.

2) I felt 4 and 5 fit in. 4 only because of the sheer determination of Tactics.

A "main plot" might be dead, though, the first 3 games are sort of indirectly and then very directly about Luc. Luc's story has resolved, and it can really go anywhere else. There are some mysteries left, and those might not be expanded upon, but Murayama might have detailed them in documents years ago, before he left Konami.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

marduktyran wrote: 1) First of all, do you think that the suikoden team is disbanded is a false information or is it true, in which case was it disbanded BEFORE or AFTER this new suikoden production?
I think this rumour is true, just people misunderstood it. They thought that there is NOW no Suikoden team anymore, but I guess they disbanded after Tierkreis and then somehow formed a new one, or maybe Tri-Ace is doing some work, don't know.
Scotts

Post by Scotts »

We're getting a new Suikoden game, and the old team was disbanded, so it might end out for the better. Maybe. Whoever's doing it now might be more faithful.
Darkbeat

Post by Darkbeat »

It's probably even more simple than that. Dev teams are often disbanded to work on other projects and reformed when the need arises. They had obviously disbanded the Suikoden team after Tierkreis and used the staff on other games which led to them "forgetting how to make RPGs" (may or may not have been serious)
- R' Nachman
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

yes but "we lost our RPG know-how" has much stronger meaning than just disbanding a team to work on various other projects in the company. losing knowledge means key people left and/or they got rid of (sold or shut down) key technology, etc. they are likely outsourcing their RPG game development with maybe a few former Suikoden staff members acting as visionaries.
Scotts

Post by Scotts »

Which is why it's a possible step up if they've lost the team that did Tierkreis. The current team working on this one might be better at adhereing to Suikoden-type elements.