Translations of the title

A forum for questions and discussions about the PSP game roughly translated as "The Woven Web of a Century"
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Translations of the title

Post by KFCrispy »

Siliconera.com translates the game’s title as "The Woven Web of a Century"
Rachael here at suikosource translated it as "The Time of 100 Spun Years"
duckroll at suikox translate it as "Centennial Tapestry"

so what do you think?

the game's title image also shows what looks like a tree.

Google translation gives me the word spinning, which all the translations kind of use. The Hundred Year web/tapestry?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dragonmasterx
Elite Member

Re: Translations of the title

Post by dragonmasterx »

Personally, I prefer Centennial Tapestry. It's got a nice ring to it. The abbreviation is cool too Suikoden: CT.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

The official site uses "100 years" for short in the adress so I don't think they're going with the century approach.

It's also a bit disturbing that this doesn't have the english title in the logo, the only other games that didn't have that were the ones that didn't come west like Gaiden and Card Stories. Even Rhapsodia had english even though they changed it to Tactics. This one just says Genso Suikoden.

Then again, it is very long.

Unless... this is what they were going to use that Genso Suikoden trademark for?
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
Night Shadow

Post by Night Shadow »

"tsumu ga reshi hyaku nen no toki"....

longest suikoden title yet. =P i'd go with duckroll's title. it sounds cool.

the tree sort of reminds me of alma kinan for some reason. or legend of legaia's genesis tree.
since this game will be set in an alternate world, i just wish they add a reference to the main series. perhaps viki can make an appearance or something, accidentally going through not only time, but space and alternate dimensions as well. =) very doctor who-ish. =)
‎"...Or else, it is the dream that haunts you. You wait with the promise of the next dream...when the act of waiting is dependent on remembering."
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

duckroll's translation takes some liberties from the original words, but it's nice and short, and sounds a lot more dramatic than the crap that Google cranks out.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I'll be the first to admit that my translation sounds terrible, and the other two are so much cooler. XD
"F*** you, I'm a goat." -Yohn
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Looks like the homepage prefers the phrase "100 years", at the very least.
Feldoon

Post by Feldoon »

Raww Le Klueze wrote:Unless... this is what they were going to use that Genso Suikoden trademark for?
Calling this new one just "Genso Suikoden" in the West? That would be a bit too weird.

Maybe trying to separate "Suikoden" (the True Rune world), referring to their new universe games as "Genso Suikoden" for English releases?