NEW SUIKODEN ANNOUNCED BY KONAMI!!! (9-17-2011)

A forum for questions and discussions about the PSP game roughly translated as "The Woven Web of a Century"
Rachael

Re: NEW SUIKODEN ANNOUNCED BY KONAMI!!! (9-17-2011)

Post by Rachael »

Sorry, guys...I've just moved in to a new apartment and this translation will take a while! I'm on it!
"F*** you, I'm a goat." -Yohn
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

New home? Nice. Do take your time, in any case.

I'm impressed that there are text reproductions, but no actual scanned images of the publication. Ah, well, let's not be choosers.

Apparently Radneen is the big guy on the cover. And Maximos is the top right. So we may have recruits from 200 years in the past? Hope the story makes sense, or we'll have a delicious amount of paradoxes running amok eh.
kelvingarinkz

Post by kelvingarinkz »

Actually, I noticed that there is a different from the characters on the cover page. Not sure if this has been brought up before.

But the 'present' characters seem to be in color while the 'past' characters are in sepia ...
kelvin loves suikoden
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Can't wait for translations.. and a bigger screen at some point. You see the 3x3 grid. I hope this will be a cool system. At least it seems they keep the S-M-L-system.

Also you see another battle-screenshot and.. a menu!? maybe this will give more info on the magic system.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

kelvingarinkz wrote:Actually, I noticed that there is a different from the characters on the cover page. Not sure if this has been brought up before.

But the 'present' characters seem to be in color while the 'past' characters are in sepia ...
I had such suspicion when it was first revealed, but until more info was released for the rest of the cast featured on there, it's all just speculation. Though who knows which timeline Zephon belongs to, and that Regius isn't part of the initial "present" party.

EDIT:

These are definitely one issue later than these text-only updates, but nothing beats nicely sized scan for the previous Dengeki issue, when they covered the present-world Ionian hotshots, the Bloody Axe and the other local leaders:
http://i.imgur.com/zYWhQ.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/fwRTG.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/5mi9k.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/9AkR8.jpg
oryx

Post by oryx »

Oooh this is so exciting. *_* The characters all look really cute/interesting (especially that dark-haired girl with the gold and black armor)...
I don't have a PSP and have no intention of buying one, so I'm probably never going to play this, but I'm just glad that there's a new Suikoden coming out! (I'll probably watch a playthrough of it like I do with a lot of games ;p)
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

patapi wrote:Apparently Radneen is the big guy on the cover. And Maximos is the top right. So we may have recruits from 200 years in the past? Hope the story makes sense, or we'll have a delicious amount of paradoxes running amok eh.
Makes sense when you remember that time travel makes time a relative obstacle instead of a permanent one. Even if this game adheres to the "your star chooses you for your battle" system from previous games (Tierkreis kept it, so why not?), the stars could easily pick their set of 108 warriors preemptively at the beginning of the 200 year cycle.
Formerly known as: Gothann
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Then there's the possibility that the same set of Starbearers is the one responsible behind defeating the monster every 100 years, thanks to the advent of convenient and affordable time travel. Oh, my.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Xelinis wrote:Story

The hero and his friends, who live in Terube Village, are one day attacked by the Hundredth-Year Monster and sent flying into the world of 100 years ago by a mysterious boy, Zephon. Upon inheriting a technique that can defeat the monster from his ancestor, Torwad, they head to the town of Shuraat. However, they were interrogated and taken to an audience with the Holy Emperor, Leopherias XIII. Meanwhile, the Hundredth-Year Monster approaches Shuraat...

System

*Battle
6 members can be used in a party battle. Like the previous games, fights are turn-based, and in this game additional commands such as "Transmission" and "Strategy" have been added. In the rune world, magic and skills have a set number of times you can use them, and in the previous game, Tierkreis, they were based on MP. In this game, a completely different system will be used. You can release battle commands by using the energy bar above the HP bar. Detailed information at a later date.

*Party Formation
Like in other games in the series, you can freely arrange the members of your battle party. Additionally, you can change which characters you are in control of with the triangle button. On the formation screen, you can arrange up to 6 characters in a 3x3 box.

*Transmission
By putting heroes of the past into your party, you can inherit their techniques. This system is called "Transmission," and it establishes the characters of the past as masters, and the characters of the present as pupils. During battle, the difficulty chooses the "Transmission" command, then uses that technique. By repeating this and getting the gauge up to 100%, a technique can be inherited. On the party formation screen, the learning gauge is shown next to the hero's "First Form * Judgment" and "Second Form * Wave."

*Co-op Attack
On the formation screen is the phrase "W Leader." It is probably the hero and Torwad's Co-op Attack.

*Magic
Even compared to the rest of the series, the magic's effects are quite showy.

*Regius CV: Shou Hayami
A man who strongly desires to learn the truth of this world, and who introduces himself as the hero's strategist. He is comfortable with using any means necessary to know the truth. Of course, he is a genius in strategy, his battle powers are high, and he even fights on the front lines. According to a Dengeki writer, his image is close to that of Shu from Suikoden II.
"There are too many strange things in this world. Haven't you ever thought that?"
VA Comment: "At first I thought he was like a silent ninja, but he chatters endlessly with the hero (laughter). He seems cool at first sight, but in his body, in his heart, he has a sense of morality, and I think he truly is a good person."

*Holy Aionian Empire (200 years ago)
Transcending 100 years, the main character met with his heroic ancestor, Torwad. The wars that concern the Hundredth-Year Monster calls the Stars of Destiny to the past. Upon arriving 200 years past, they saw the Aionian Holy Imperial Army and the Imperial Princess, Astrid, who led them. And they meet both the hero and Torwad's ancestor, Syldis, and many other people of the past, inducing a pre-destined chain of events into the past.

*Astrid CV: Kikuko Inoue
The woman with ringlets right in the middle of the package illustration. The Imperial Princess who, 200 years ago, in the Holy Aionian Empire, was called the Empress General. She is proficient in magic, and as the leader of the 2nd Branch, she has achieved victory in the battle against the Hundredth-Year Monster. An aristocrat who is respected and loved by the people.
"Look well at the world's truth!!"
VA Comment: "As an empress, she risks her life for people and tries to protect the world. She's a very strong woman. But deep down, she has a sweet, playful side to her as well."

*Maximos Zaphir CV: Shintarou Asanuma
The long-haired man with braided hair to the upper left of the package illustration. The previous leader of the Holy Aionian Empire's Shining Leaf Knights. Ever since the fight against the Hundredth-Year Monster, he has become the Empress Astrid's guard, at the Emperor's insistence. Finally, he left behind the Blue Flash Style of Swordsmanship for posterity.
"If one doesn't know, then any foolish thought will do."

*Radneen CV: Kentarou Yamasaki
The one-horned demi-human at the very top of the package illustration. A kenpo user of the Scaleford tribe whose entire body is covered with hard scales. He is exceptionally successful among this era's tribe, and he has sworn loyalty to Astrid, who appointed him.
"You mock Her Majesty Astrid! Do you intend to insult the Holy Aionian Empire itself!!?"

*Lete CV: Hisako Kanemoto
A mage who, upon becoming aware of her own lifespan, leads a secluded life in Perie Forest and awaits the moment of her death. Her clothes appear to be like those worn by the Holy Imperial Army's high-class mages, but...?
"Will you inherit my magic?"

*Rodric CV: Keiji Fujiwara
One of the common people of Multillion and an archer of the 2nd branch who was dispatched to Fort Zephtiros. Contrast to his intimidating appearance, he easily blames things on himself.
"I don't think you'll forgive me, but I must take responsibility."

*Syldis CV: Naoko Yasuda
A genius swordswoman who, 200 years ago, played an active role in the 1st Laspharma Interception War. She is likely the ancestor of the hero and Torwad, and she founded the Blue Flash Style together with Maximos.
"You may be one of my descendants."

In the previous issue, I said that the Feather Tribe girl on the package illustration was Lete, but it was a completely different person, LOL. Sorry! m(__)m

What I'm curious about in this issue of Dengeki are those words "the truth of this world." Well, a world where a monster attacks every 100 years isn't normal, so will unraveling the hidden truth of this world become a major key here?

Also, this battle system seems a bit complex. It's not the numbering title we wanted so badly, so even though it means that they want to increase the number of new fans, we wanted them to be a bit more adventurous.
Okay, a few quick notes...

1. I think I made a mistake in my previous post where I mentioned a "a villain who uses kenpo." The kanji for villain is 悪人, and the kanji for demi-human is 亜人. See? Very similar. What's more, I'm much more used to seeing the word "villain." But it was supposed to say "a demi-human who uses kenpo." So, there's nothing to indicate that Radneen is a villain.

2. What I translated as "Transmission" this time and "Hand Down" previously are the same. Seems to be some sort of inheritance/master-pupil system.

3. "W" probably means "Double" in this case.

4. I'm not sure whether Astrid is the emperor's daughter or wife. Both the phrases "Imperial Princess" (皇女) and "Empress" (皇妃) have been used to describe her.

5. I really don't know if "inducing a pre-destined chain of events into the past" is correct. That sounds completely in contrast to the previous game, and really, the entire Suikoden series as well. Nor does it even really make any sense. The original phrase is 現代への運命的な連鎖を引き起こしていく。

6. The last paragraph confuses me, and my translation of it is wobbly at best. It's mostly just speculation on the writer's part. Here's the original:

あと、戦闘が従来のコマンド式ターン制バトルというのは、個人的にはちょっと微妙かな。
せっかくナンバリングタイトルじゃないんだから、新規のファンを増やすという意味でも、もう少し冒険してほしかった。
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

In the previous issue, I said that the Feather Tribe girl on the package illustration was Lete, but it was a completely different person, LOL. Sorry! m(__)m
A print publication really had that line? That's new.

There are way too many new terms popping up to describe what it was like 200 years ago in the past that I've pretty much lost track of it all. So, is the Feather Tribe girl not Meamei?
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

patapi wrote:
A print publication really had that line? That's new.

There are way too many new terms popping up to describe what it was like 200 years ago in the past that I've pretty much lost track of it all. So, is the Feather Tribe girl not Meamei?
No, I think she is. The writer said they made a mistake when they said that the Feather Tribe girl was Lete.
Feldoon

Post by Feldoon »

Wow. This story is starting to look like it could actually be somewhat engaging.

I'm getting a little bit excited for this game but consciously holding my excitement back. I'd rather not be burned like Tierkreis again.
s21

Post by s21 »

Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Well, there's a much more extensive promotional movie up now! I won't be able to translate everything because I'm not too good on picking up lines by ear alone, but I'll do what I can. The spoken lines might be inaccurate, since I can really only pick up the gist of what they're saying, and not the exact statement in its entirety.

-

"You want to live with those you care about."

"Then I'll do it! Teach me ???, too!"

Leopherias: "You've come a long way for us, Terube Village heroes."

One day, a boy and his companions encountered some mysterious monsters who appear every 100 years. Even if you defeated the monsters, they continuously multiplied. They encountered the "Tree of Time," which had the power to transcend time, head for the world of 100 years ago, and inherited the power to fight the mysterious monsters. The mysterious monsters were supposed to have fallen...However, what the boy and his companions saw upon returning to the present was...

Hero: "This is...!"

Myura: "What is this? What is this? What is this?"

...their village, destroyed by monsters.

"This is..."

Astrid: "Look well at the world's truth!!"

To take back what they lost...they head back to the world of 100 years ago.

Hero: "Please tell me what happened to this era."

"???" (I think I heard the words "monsters" and "coming," but I'm not sure)

"Hmm, I wonder?"

Gino: "That monster is disappearing."

Hero: "He's ???"

Torwad (I think): "Nobody kill him! He's last!"

Inherit 108 Techniques

Transcend 100 Years

Leopherias: "You can see this as beyond any doubt. What you fought was certainly the Hundredth-Year Monsters."

Hero: "Telas...pharma?"

The boy and the others cut through the future...

"So it was here!"

Radneen: "???" (I have no idea what he says here. None.)

Hero?: "Until you die ??? you can keep going!" (Not sure about this one.)

Myura: "What happened? ???"

Will you seek order or freedom?
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Finally! Too bad that the majority is still animated cutscenes though, but at least we get to see more glimpses of the super-secret gameplay.

Is it just me, or does it look a lot like Frontier Gate?