NEW SUIKODEN ANNOUNCED BY KONAMI!!! (9-17-2011)

A forum for questions and discussions about the PSP game roughly translated as "The Woven Web of a Century"
Piisuke

Re: NEW SUIKODEN ANNOUNCED BY KONAMI!!! (9-17-2011)

Post by Piisuke »

I haven't heard a single song from Tierkreis, which is shocking, I know.
The OST from V was pretty good and IV wasn't too bad either. I thought III was forgettable though. Only a few songs stood out for me.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Antimatzist wrote:Was it good? I actually only remember the original Suikoden tunes. II think I don't really remember because I often muted the game and the DS has a horrible audio output.. it sounds so bad.
Oh, yes, it was amazing! The soothing music that plays in the Citro Plain, the upbeat tunes of Grayridge, the exciting boss music, the stirring violin melody that plays as you prepare for battle, the bustling music in the streets of El-Qaral, the gentle lullaby of Naineneis, the sleepy, unique percussion of Tehah Village, the music in Mt. Svatgol that makes you want to get up and dance, and the dramatic choir as you visit Cynas for the final time.

I personally think it's the best music in the Suikoden series. It makes me feel good when I listen to it, which I do often.

It's especially amazing for a handheld. I mean, there's no comparison with Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume or the Pokemon games.
"F*** you, I'm a goat." -Yohn
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Piisuke wrote:I haven't heard a single song from Tierkreis, which is shocking, I know.
The OST from V was pretty good and IV wasn't too bad either. I thought III was forgettable though. Only a few songs stood out for me.
Yeah, the music from the main series was really great, too. I don't remember much of V because I haven't played it a lot, but IV's music is pretty good. I think my favorite piece from that game is the music that plays in Razril. It makes me feel so happy!

I also agree that III probably had the dullest music in the series. It's my favorite game overall, but the music was kind of lacking. The music that plays at headquarters, Le Buque, and the Mountain Path are nice. Vinay Del Zexay's music is a lot of fun, too. Oh, but my favorite in III is the music that plays in the Great Hollow!

Oh, and I like the "comical" music that plays in certain battles, like against Guillaume's rhyming goons.
Alestes

Post by Alestes »

Rachael wrote:I personally think it's the best music in the Suikoden series. It makes me feel good when I listen to it, which I do often.
While I wouldn't go that far, the music in Tierkreis is indeed very good :)

My favorite songs are Janamu Sorcery Empire, Village in the Mountains and Porpoise's Home. All town songs, heh. But the rest are good too!

The soundtrack is the best part of the game as far as I'm concerned.
Piisuke

Post by Piisuke »

Well, I guess I'll have to have a listen to the ost. I doubt I'll consider it better than Suikoden II, which is my personal favourite, but that doesn't mean I won't enjoy it. I might have a listen tonight, when I get home from work.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Piisuke wrote:Well, I guess I'll have to have a listen to the ost. I doubt I'll consider it better than Suikoden II, which is my personal favourite, but that doesn't mean I won't enjoy it. I might have a listen tonight, when I get home from work.
2 has great music as well, especially considering the time period.

I was driving my Mom crazy because I spent a lot of time at HQ, and on top of that, I was humming the tune from it (the second, upbeat tune) all the time. Ha!
Darkbeat

Post by Darkbeat »

Tierkreis had an exceptional soundtrack for a DS game. All in there are 6 disks worth of music and hardly a dull track on it. I'd even go as far as to say it's one of the best for music in the series.

Some recommended tracks;
To the World! (First World Map theme)
Sally Beacon (Character select)
Janamu Sorcery Empire (Al-Qaral)
War Council (You'll know what this is)
Marcina Plains (Marcina Plains!)
כל העולם כולו גשר צר מאוד, והעיקר - לא לפחד כלל
All the world is a very narrow bridge, the most important thing is not to be afraid.
- R' Nachman
JiggleBiscuits

Post by JiggleBiscuits »

What happened to the thread?!?!

Edit - Oh I see, nevermind.
Rooks

Post by Rooks »

True, I thought IV's Soundtrack was forgettable, but III's was good, except for the in-battle music sounded like a carnival show. . . Let's hope the music is the new game matches up to the trailer. I am glad that Konami has always taken steps for their soundtracks, instead of relegating them to the musicians who do action titles as well, think Breath of Fire 2 and the Star Ocean series. Ack, those soundtarcks were horrid.
KC_MCDOHL

Post by KC_MCDOHL »

I think all the soundtracks had something to offer. There are many tracks form IV that I loved. In fact, I thought SIII's soundtrack was the weakest ...although there are some undeniably great songs! In fact, the Alma Kinan song is probably one of my favourite all time Suikoden songs. And yes, Tierkreis, I felt, did have an awesome soundtrack. I hope Norikazu Miura is working on this new game. It does sound like his work on the trailer but, again, he's hard to tell anything from 40 seconds! I emailed him so hopefully he will respond ^^
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Just some randome thing I observed: I think Konami GREATLY underestimates the franchise. The twitter page of the new game has 5 times the followers than frontier gate's and beyond the labyrinth's together.

The trailer on Konamis yt account is in the top 20 of their most viewed videos - and all with more views are uploaded for at least two months, Suikoden had barely a week.

I hope they will see the great interest in the game and the franchise and act accordingly...
KC_MCDOHL

Post by KC_MCDOHL »

Yes! I hope so too Antimatzist! :D
Piisuke

Post by Piisuke »

Rooks wrote:True, I thought IV's Soundtrack was forgettable, but III's was good, except for the in-battle music sounded like a carnival show. . . Let's hope the music is the new game matches up to the trailer. I am glad that Konami has always taken steps for their soundtracks, instead of relegating them to the musicians who do action titles as well, think Breath of Fire 2 and the Star Ocean series. Ack, those soundtarcks were horrid.
I find Star Ocean: The Second Story's OST to be one of the best ones ever. Till the End of Time and The Last Hope had a very solid OST as well, but The Second Story... man, how can anybody dislike that soundtrack? Granted, Motoi Sakuraba isn't what he used to be, but dear lord, he used to make some impressive stuff.
Exophase

Post by Exophase »

Piisuke wrote:I find Star Ocean: The Second Story's OST to be one of the best ones ever. Till the End of Time and The Last Hope had a very solid OST as well, but The Second Story... man, how can anybody dislike that soundtrack? Granted, Motoi Sakuraba isn't what he used to be, but dear lord, he used to make some impressive stuff.
I'm with you 100% on this.. you're probably also a big fan of Valkyrie Profile's soundtrack. Also what's the hate for BoF2's?

To this day I like Suikoden 1's music more than any other in the series. There aren't nearly as many tracks, but for the small size of the game it's a fairly varied score (except for the lack of distinctive final boss music..). Suikoden 2 had about the same proficiency of composition and some very nice tracks, but it loses out to me by hitting the limitations of PS1's sequencing capabilities. Suikoden 1 had the edge by being almost fully orchestrated, although it suffered a bit due to audio compression, it still had this really epic feel to it. But with all the extra space it used I'm not sure this would have been much of an option for Suikoden 2, if they wanted to keep it 1 CD. For the PS2 games, on the other hand..
Rooks

Post by Rooks »

Piisuke wrote:I find Star Ocean: The Second Story's OST to be one of the best ones ever. Till the End of Time and The Last Hope had a very solid OST as well, but The Second Story... man, how can anybody dislike that soundtrack? Granted, Motoi Sakuraba isn't what he used to be, but dear lord, he used to make some impressive stuff.
Well, for example the person who did BoF2's music was the same person who did Mega Man and Street Fighter, wonderful music for those games, but it does not work for an RPG, sadly. Same with Star Ocean, I just do not think it fits. It would be like having Harry Gregson-Williams (MGS2) doing the soundtrack for a Suikoden. Great composer, but not suited for RPG work.

Anyway, I think Konami certainly has had a record of great soundtracks, and there is no reason to doubt that this one will be good as well.