Discrepancies in 108 stars guide

A forum for questions and discussions about the PSP game roughly translated as "The Woven Web of a Century"
srd_27

Discrepancies in 108 stars guide

Post by srd_27 »

I'm in the middle of routing a 108 Stars speedrun of this game, and found couple of discrepancies in the suikodenwoven website, which I guess is based from the official guide.
https://suikodenwoven.website/108-stars-guide/

- Suomjin's recruitment seems bugged, you don't need to upgrade anything and you'll still recruit him.

- Mazarika's listed story requirement (Rujin is present at Dios Fortress) isn't really accurate, since you can only start her recruitment quest after clearing Apiro Hills. I guess it's written that way since you need Rujin to plant the tree, this also made her quest can't be started simultaneously with Sorab's quest.

- Sou Jin and Suu Jin's recruitments doesn't require you to fully learn from Sau Jin (i.e. don't need to visit Sau's slate), you just need to trigger his dialogue about putting a slate.
On the contrary, Ketil's recruitment event do require you to learn from Sau's slate (as correctly stated on guide).

- Gose's recruitment doesn't require Nelvan recruit, the actual requirement is the "talk to Nelvan" story event.

- Rodric's recruitment doesn't require you to recruit Olmar. You just need to have access to Sidas Forest 100 years ago, to be able to plant the tree for 200 years ago.

- To start Yowinn's recruitment (plant tree on Martylion Wastes), it's not enough to just recruit Rodric. You have to talk to Seu Jin after recruiting Rodric, before you can plant the tree.
You also have to recruit Mezwar to trigger Yowinn's final event on Hodos Village 100 years ago, although you don't need Mezwar yet for the previous events.

- To start Laquila's recruitment (plant tree on Apiro Hills), you don't need to fully learn from Seu Jin (i.e. don't need to visit Seu's slate), you just need to trigger his dialogue about putting a slate after finishing Rodric's recruit.

- To recruit Lethe, you don't need to fully learn from Laquila. You can start her recruitment immediately after the second last scene of Laquila's recruitment on Perie Grove.
(credits to suikoden fandom wiki for noting this)

- To start Neisa's recruitment (plant tree on Melisma Prairie), it's required to fully learn from Dagzuma. But you don't need to recruit Mezwar, I guess the guide writer mixed up Yowinn and Neisa's requirement.

Also note that for '200 years ago' trees, when the guide lists "Have access to XXX (100 years ago)" as a requirement, you're required to visit the "XXX (100 years ago)" place once before being able to plant the second tree for 200 years ago. It's not enough to just have the 100 year tree planted without visiting it.

I consolidated the recruitment steps on a different format here for my own purpose. I've put some extra infos which might be of interest to others as well (such as teach quantities)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Antimatzist

Re: Discrepancies in 108 stars guide

Post by Antimatzist »

Thanks for the corrections. in my one playthrough, I recruited everyone in the end and it was a bit of a mess anyway with the amount of backtracking you have to do. This makes it a bit smoother, definitely.
srd_27

Post by srd_27 »

Another note, there's a key difference between Olmar & Mudogara's recruit.

Both Olmar and Mudogara's recruitment starts by going into one of the shops in Gugleion (armorer for Olmar, market for Mudogara). Then followed by asking Beaga to plant a tree in their zones.

Olmar's first event requires you to fully learned from Beaga to trigger. On the contrary, Mudogara's event doesn't require you to learn from Beaga to start, you can trigger it before you ever visited West Mt Hioni's tree.

This actually have a huge impact, even in casual playthrough. It's possible to trigger both Beaga's recruitment and Mudogara's tree planting on the same West Mt Hioni 100 visit, without going through that annoying dungeon twice.
Antimatzist wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:35 am Thanks for the corrections. in my one playthrough, I recruited everyone in the end and it was a bit of a mess anyway with the amount of backtracking you have to do. This makes it a bit smoother, definitely.
Heh, I probably visited Dios Fortress like 5x at least on my playthrough, and Behemoth Grave close to 10x, was a huge pain. Turns out I only need to visit Dios Fortress 2 times once everything is routed properly.
srd_27

Post by srd_27 »

Another finding. To recruit Jandak, you don't need to recruit Gerel & Gose, it's enough to simply meet the story requirement (meet Quinella in Achiltes).