Suikoden Tactics Card Game (PIXEL ARTIST WANTED)

Depository for Suikoden related Fan work (art, fan-fiction, games, etc).
All material posted here must comply with the U.S. Fair Use Doctrine
Skeith27

Suikoden Tactics Card Game (PIXEL ARTIST WANTED)

Post by Skeith27 »

After loving how well the re-theme for the Suikoden Legacy card game has turned out, I started working on another Suikoden-themed card game that has, I believe, even more potential.

This is Pixel Tactics - the base game I am re-themeing for this project: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/le ... ideo_share

Pixel Tactics is an awesome 2-4 player strategy game with a ton of innovative features and fast gameplay. And the best part is, there are tons of unique characters (about 100 right now) with no duplicates in a deck. This means we can include an huge proportion of the Suikoden cast in this game, not just the popular main characters, but also the great side characters that you wish got more time in the spotlight.

Here are a few quick drafts of what the game looks like with Suikoden characters on it - thought I will probably experiment with different backgrounds and formats for these cards as well:
Image Image Image

BUT I NEED HELP TO PROCEED
Ideally, I'd wish to include characters from EVERY Suikoden game, including the later ones that dropped pixel sprites for 3D models. So, if there are any artists on this site that think they could handle making a few sprites for newer Suikoden characters in the same style as the original two games, let me know. I think we can make something pretty remarkable here.
Skeith27

Re: Suikoden Tactics Card Game (PIXEL ARTIST WANTED)

Post by Skeith27 »

Okay, couldn't resist doing one more once I got the idea for this one.
Roshambeaux

Post by Roshambeaux »

You should post this on the Suikoden Revival Movements Facebook page and see if anyone can and is willing to help out. If this garners enough interest, a Kickstarter campaign could be a viable option for this project.
A raw tomato for the win!
Skeith27

Post by Skeith27 »

Hm, that Facebook page is definitely a worthwhile lead. I'll check it out, thanks!

Here's something I'm playing with as a possible background for the cards. It's actually the map of Dunan from Suikoden II. I'd be interested to hear what you think - do you prefer something like this, or the simpler backgrounds in the above versions?
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

The map background looks good. There are some folks that have created sprites of Suikoden 4 characters, I'd suggest asking the artists' permission if you want to use their work.

don't forget that there are sprites of 4 and 5 characters that appeared in loading screens for those games, so you could seek them out.
BrucePrintscreen

Post by BrucePrintscreen »

Looks nice! Can you tell us more about how the game is played?
Skeith27

Post by Skeith27 »

This review goes over all the basic rules in a pretty succinct manner. They also
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeyECQD4NVA

But for the short short short version, each player has a deck of 25 cards (you can play with the pre-made decks or customize your own). You pick one card to be your "leader" which is the side of the card with a proper name and a special ability that extends to your entire army. The leader stands in the middle of a 3x3 grid that makes up your "unit".

After that point, the rest of the cards in your deck will be used as either heroes or orders. Heroes have different abilities depending on whether they are placed in the front, middle, or back row of your unit. An order is basically a big one-shot ability before discarding the card.

Both units will go back and forth, attacking, knocking out units, using abilities, clearing corpses (yep, you have to clear a corpse off your side before you can use a space on the board again) and repositioning themselves, all in an effort to knock out the opposing leader.

And thanks for the tips on where to hunt down sprites, Sticky!
BrucePrintscreen

Post by BrucePrintscreen »

Thanks for the explanation :) sounds interesting indeed.
Skeith27

Post by Skeith27 »

Awesome! Looks like someone on the Suikoden Reddit page has volunteered to sign onto the job! He's got a great grasp of the Suikoden sprite style too.

So I can now move ahead with this project fully confident that we can include all the games in the series, if even just a couple of the key characters per game.
Skeith27

Post by Skeith27 »

Decided to use different card backs this time so each player can represent their chosen side of the war.

Skeith27

Post by Skeith27 »

Just checking in to say this work is still chugging along. I'm up to about 35 cards in the set now. When I hit 50 I may finally print up a set before taking on the rest of the cast.

My BGG gallery was getting kind of cluttered so I deleted a bunch of images on there, forgetting that many of them were linked to in the above posts. So, I'll try and post a few more sample below here.
Skeith27

Post by Skeith27 »

A few small samples from the updated set:

Skeith27

Post by Skeith27 »

Not sure if anyone still checks this thread, but I just wanted to check in on a second opinion here and there.

This time, I wanted to know which sprite for Clive looks best in your opinions?
OPTION A)

OPTION B)
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Better to use the "rare" sprites with them holding weapons, I think.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Not too go off topic but thus just make me want a hearthstone style suikoden CCG now