[RPG Maker] Suikoroku Gaiden Official Thread

Depository for Suikoden related Fan work (art, fan-fiction, games, etc).
All material posted here must comply with the U.S. Fair Use Doctrine
Antimatzist

Re: [RPG Maker] Suikoroku Gaiden Official Thread

Post by Antimatzist »

If you'd like I could re-release it with each enemy being half as strong?
I don't think you need to do that, but what is lacking is balancing. I think the enemies hit too hard. And I think the price for mega medicine is ridicilous high.

Just remove some zombies then it would be ok. The problem is that I didnt expect to need healing items because, well, the game before that event wasn't too difficult and there was only one shop.

Post by 727 »

Hirathien wrote:Let me just ask you something. You say, and i take this directly from your signature.

"I've made a direct sequel to Suikoden II that fills the gap between Suikoden II and III.
If you enjoy the game, please like US on facebook"

Who's us?
Us could mean me and the game. Or it could mean the team. I've got 2 spriters.(yensoon from here. Kayo from another forum)

I will rerelease it with less zombies,slightly less hp, and weaker attacks later today. Maybe add a couple new rune skills as well.

Here's a little synopsis which elaborates on why I think the story is good. Minor spoilers
''The world has been at war frequently throughout the last few years. It has dented the morale of the people within the land and they cherish every moment of this momentary peace. Former generals in both of these great wars who were once full of vigor find themselves battered and bruised. Their bodies have begun to break down and they feel like it is time for the next generation to fight their own battles. The two kings who waged this great war find great pressure from society to fill the void. The world wants them to tell them what to do, but they don't know what to do themselves so they run. However, their past catches up to them. Jowy (the king of the defeated army) is threatened when he realizes that the world is not so simple for him to just run away from. He had spent months trying to seal a rune that had the power to destroy the world, and it had nearly killed him in the process. In his ignorance, he didn't realize that by running away he left it wide open for the taking. The evil soon uses this rune to manipulate him into serving her while he plots a way out of this mess.''

remix edition
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=H4YQGWXC
A brand new Suikoden game with a well-written script!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Suikorok ... ?ref=br_tf
Nikisaur

Post by Nikisaur »

727 wrote:He had spent months trying to seal a rune that had the power to destroy the world
Are you talking about the Black Sword Rune? If so, then I think you're really overstating its power. It's not even a true rune...
The only thing Suikoden lacks...is dinosaurs.

Post by 727 »

Nikisaur wrote:
727 wrote:He had spent months trying to seal a rune that had the power to destroy the world
Are you talking about the Black Sword Rune? If so, then I think you're really overstating its power. It's not even a true rune...
beast rune... :x

btw black sword is a true rune. It is one half of the rune of beginning.

Nikisaur

Post by Nikisaur »

Don't you give me that look, sunshine. I'm only going on the rune Jowy had in his posession at the end of Suiko2. Which is a pretty reasonable assumption.

I know what it is. Half a true rune, yes. So not a full one then.

I always saw the true runes as keeping the world in equilibrium. The only time the 'world' was threatened was when Luc attempted to destroy one is Suiko3.

Post by 727 »

Jowy had possession of the beast rune ever since Luca died.

If the beast rune wasn't stopped then it could have threatened the world.

Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

Nah, the Black Sword Rune and Bright Shield Rune are not "halves" of the rune of beginning. They are mere components of the rune.

Both the Black Sword and Bright Shield rune share none of the traits of True Runes while they are in their component state-- they don't grant agelessness to the bearers.

Only when the bearers of these two runes fight to the death and one side wins, will the Rune of the Beginning form. It's not the case that the two runes combine or anything.

If these two runes were halves, they'd be called "halves of the Rune of the Beginning" instead. It's sort of like saying a lump of flour and a lump of butter are "halves of a cookie."
Nikisaur

Post by Nikisaur »

Yeah Vex, that's what i meant >.< I know they're not the same, it's just habit I suppose to call two components equal in power 'halves'. They're different. Thanks for making the point I wanted to make :o

Also, 727, it's my understanding that the Beast Rune wasn't attached to a person, but instead just shacked itself up in L'Renouille. Jowy used his Black Sword Rune's power to 'keep it at bay', but never bore the rune itself.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

unfortunately the English Suikoden II's description of the rune said something like a true rune or half of a true rune.
Nikisaur

Post by Nikisaur »

Ahah! I knew it wasn't just me! I'm replaying Suiko2 at the moment and I'm sure it says halves. Buuut I think I'll try not to use that term anymore, people seem to object.
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

727 wrote:"The two kings who waged this great war find great pressure from society to fill the void. The world wants them to tell them what to do, but they don't know what to do themselves so they run. However, their past catches up to them. Jowy (the king of the defeated army) is threatened when he realizes that the world is not so simple for him to just run away from. He had spent months trying to seal a rune that had the power to destroy the world, and it had nearly killed him in the process. In his ignorance, he didn't realize that by running away he left it wide open for the taking. The evil soon uses this rune to manipulate him into serving her while he plots a way out of this mess.''

Who's the Two Kings?

Post by 727 »

Hirathien wrote:
727 wrote:"The two kings who waged this great war find great pressure from society to fill the void. The world wants them to tell them what to do, but they don't know what to do themselves so they run. However, their past catches up to them. Jowy (the king of the defeated army) is threatened when he realizes that the world is not so simple for him to just run away from. He had spent months trying to seal a rune that had the power to destroy the world, and it had nearly killed him in the process. In his ignorance, he didn't realize that by running away he left it wide open for the taking. The evil soon uses this rune to manipulate him into serving her while he plots a way out of this mess.''

Who's the Two Kings?
haha you love to over-analyze my words. It's easier to say two kings then one king and a guy whose like a leader whose not really a king but has all the leadership responsibilities despite shunning them. :D

What do you guys think of the synopsis anyway? I've heard what you don't like. Tell me what you do like.

Nikisaur

Post by Nikisaur »

Words convey meaning. If you use the wrong words, you convey the wrong meaning. Make sense? Just because it's easier, doesn't mean it's right. Especially in something like a synopsis, where you're trying to explain events and characters. Leader does not equal a king. Just...sort it out, man. It's little oversights/cut corners like that that damage the credibility of your work.
"The two kings who waged this great war find great pressure from society to fill the void. The world wants them to tell them what to do, but they don't know what to do themselves so they run. However, their past catches up to them
I'd rewrite that as something more like:
Although the war had finally come to a close, the two leaders were still fighting. Battling with the responsibility placed on their young shoulders, they choose to run. But they will soon learn that there are things that cannot be escaped, and distance alone will not seperate them from the burden they are destined to bear...

Or something epic like that. I wrote that in one go so sorry if it's crap, but I'm late! :shock:
Iesous

Post by Iesous »

Nikisaur wrote:Words convey meaning. If you use the wrong words, you convey the wrong meaning. Make sense? Just because it's easier, doesn't mean it's right. Especially in something like a synopsis, where you're trying to explain events and characters. Leader does not equal a king. Just...sort it out, man. It's little oversights/cut corners like that that damage the credibility of your work.
I second this. And add that someone who claims to have written several books and fancies themselves an author should really be better at it than you've shown. You keep on saying that the dialog and the plot is the star of the game, but I haven't really been that impressed.

Post by 727 »

What is wrong with the plot? It has elements from every single suikoden game,creates questions,sticks relatively close to canon, dialogue that the character would say in that situation,villains with realistic motivation, multi-dimensional heroes with feelings, a problem that needs to be solved,etc.

I don't know what else you could want. Without the ability to describe what is going on, there's not much more that is possible with that engine. Of course it's not going to sound exactly like a book because books have more to them than dialogue. There's definitely some scenes I didn't favor quite as much(edge intro,drunken flik,most of kanakan) but there were some scenes I really loved creating.

Windy confronting Ted(This scene fit perfectly in canon. It was as if it could have been a deleted scene from the original suikoden.)
Did you see the Kage and Yuber scene?
Jowy confronted by Windy on the bridge?
Yuber surprising Kage and Jowy in the forest?

IMO these were quality scenes that set the story up nicely for episode II.
I am interested in what you didn't like because I want to make ep2 a much better game that I can use as a benchmark for the rest of the saga.

One thing I didn't like was the long recap of suikoden 2. I got bored making it and it shows. The wordplay is decent enough but the grammar is lazy. In the second game I'm going to have a short recap of episode I and just assume you've already played suiko1-2. There were a fair bit of questions created in ep1 to be answered.

Did Yuber kill windy? Will kage and Jowy be able to defeat Yuber? What did Windy want Jowy to go to Falena for? What has happened to leon? What will Toran do about the rising army in Seika? How is Tinto going to respond to Dunan's blockade? etc.

There's tons of questions that were posed. The way I told it may not have been perfect but I think the story itself is interesting to say the least.