[RPG Maker] Suikoroku Gaiden Official Thread

Depository for Suikoden related Fan work (art, fan-fiction, games, etc).
All material posted here must comply with the U.S. Fair Use Doctrine
Palmguy

Re: [RPG Maker] Suikoroku Gaiden Official Thread

Post by Palmguy »

Also, Jowy never had the beat rune on him. It was on the floor of the chapel (or was it the throne room? ) of L'Renouille. He kept it at bay using the Black Sword rune (which isn't a true rune, or give power of a true rune, or even got power half as close as a True Rune). When Riou and Co. Got there, Leon, using his blood, speed up it's released to be sure Riou and Co. would defeat it and put it back in sleep mode (it was only awaken because of Luca's sacrifice in Muse). After the battle, the rune disappeared. For all we know, it's in the sewers under Stormfist.

I also think that Kage would never act like that, but that's just my opinion.

Post by 727 »

Palmguy wrote:Also, Jowy never had the beat rune on him. It was on the floor of the chapel (or was it the throne room? ) of L'Renouille. He kept it at bay using the Black Sword rune (which isn't a true rune, or give power of a true rune, or even got power half as close as a True Rune). When Riou and Co. Got there, Leon, using his blood, speed up it's released to be sure Riou and Co. would defeat it and put it back in sleep mode (it was only awaken because of Luca's sacrifice in Muse). After the battle, the rune disappeared. For all we know, it's in the sewers under Stormfist.

I also think that Kage would never act like that, but that's just my opinion.
I never said he had it. I said he had possession of it and since he had possession of L'renouille, he did.

How would Kage never act like that? Elaborate. What exactly did he do out of character? He acted under duress. We barely know anything about how Kage acts anyway as he's only had bit parts in suikoden 1 and 2 so far.
A brand new Suikoden game with a well-written script!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Suikorok ... ?ref=br_tf
Nikisaur

Post by Nikisaur »

He did not have possession of it other than it being on his floor. Which he had no control over. There's a spider living in the corner of my bedroom, but I do not own it. Mr Spider acts on his own whims. All I can do is keep the cobwebs from getting onto my stuff.

Not the best analogy, but the only one I can come up with right now. Just because the Beast Rune happened to be in L'Renouille, doesn't mean Jowy has possession nor control over it. Except of course attempting to suppress its power with the Black Sword rune.
The only thing Suikoden lacks...is dinosaurs.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Windy confronting Ted(This scene fit perfectly in canon. It was as if it could have been a deleted scene from the original suikoden.)
Hell it does. Not only is it implausible as Ted is grievously wounded at that time, Windy wasn't at the house, and there's nothing that even hints at Windy having seen the end of the world. Nor are her motivations in line with canon.

You're seriously overselling yourself. Then when you actually realize that you can't deliver on your promises you pretend you never made them and start overselling your plot. It's like you have no self awareness at all.

You'd have been far better served to actually spent time to complete the game and then say "Hey, I made a game!" rather than this failed marketing campaign where you're more concerned with just getting the game out and expect to be greeted as some sort of messiah.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.

Post by 727 »

Raww Le Klueze wrote:
Windy confronting Ted(This scene fit perfectly in canon. It was as if it could have been a deleted scene from the original suikoden.)
Hell it does. Not only is it implausible as Ted is grievously wounded at that time, Windy wasn't at the house, and there's nothing that even hints at Windy having seen the end of the world. Nor are her motivations in line with canon.

You're seriously overselling yourself. Then when you actually realize that you can't deliver on your promises you pretend you never made them and start overselling your plot. It's like you have no self awareness at all.

You'd have been far better served to actually spent time to complete the game and then say "Hey, I made a game!" rather than this failed marketing campaign where you're more concerned with just getting the game out and expect to be greeted as some sort of messiah.
That's not it at all. You've miscontrued and misread ever since this thread began. I said from the very first post ''story outshines gameplay''. How are her motivations not in line with canon? She wants to destroy Leknaat. How do you destroy someone whose immortal and is linked to all of the true runes? Destroy them! Is it that impossible to believe after the soldiers stormed tirs house and he escaped that Windy walked(or teleported) a whole 50 feet when she thought she was finally going to get the true rune shes been trying to get for 300 YEARS!?

Every post you make on this site is pessimistic. It's not just my thread. Look at your post history. You must be a depressing dude in real life. I love it when people who give me fair criticism and elaborate on what they don't like but you just generalize pessimism and anything you say is generally going to have a ''see the worst in it'' attitude. Yes there was definitely flaws in the game but it had some good moments also.(Everything Kage,Jowy,Windy, and Yuber was decent at worst and they are all the main characters in episode II)

Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

727 wrote:How do you destroy someone whose immortal and is linked to all of the true runes? Destroy them!

What exactly does that part mean? How do you destroy someone, DESTROY THEM! Ehm.... ok.... Elaborate?

I dunno if Windy actually wants to destroy Leknaat, or just get her hand on the Gate rune part she is in posession of. Do you know?
Claiming that your own scene is so good, so canon that it could have been a deleted part of Suikoden is over the line. By miles.

Be humble man. Not once have i seen you just tell people that it's gonna be a story, that it's gonna tell this and this. You always add it's gonna be GOOD. That's what make's people tear you a new one. Don't say anything unless you're prepared to fight tooth and nail for it.

Your statements in these forums are like the court. You must swear to tell the truth and only the truth.

Post by 727 »

I do think Windy would like nothing more than the end of Leknaat. destroy them means destroy the runes. That's the best way to defeat Leknaat.

Well I do think the story is good. It just wasn't told as good as it was because it's hard to get dramatic effect when you have crappy resources and no way of actually describing events. Episode II has the climax that episode I foreshadowed and it could persuade you.

Your right in some regards. I have not been humble, but that's because I can see much more clearly now than when I first started developing ep1. I started this game back in May with lazy intent and it shows. Then I took a break in July and just patched it together. The game is not anywhere near my potential. It reminds me of when sega made the saturn. Yeah they could have fixed it and made it more developer friendly but they had already done so much and just tacked things on and planned it poorly that they might as well release it and give it another go with the dreamcast. I still have a lot of faith in this saga because I can wrap everything that happened in ep1 into a 5 minute cut scene and then build a better game on a new foundation.

btw i did a remix version with less zombies and easier battles but the starting point was off.
I fixed it here.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CH47OXV9

Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

The thing though with Saturn, it gave a bit of a promise with what could be in store for a next console, and it generated a bit of money.. I don't think you should compare your Fanmade game to a console made of Sega.
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

727 wrote:I do think Windy would like nothing more than the end of Leknaat. destroy them means destroy the runes. That's the best way to defeat Leknaat.

Eh, and this. We don't know the best way to destroy Leknaat. I'm fairly sure if Windy knew how to do it, she'd already done it. If, she wanted to.

Post by 727 »

You can't make a game based on a game without taking liberties. I think it could be construed my way and that's good enough because almost everything Windy related is speculation anyway.

Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

I agree, but it all depends. I mean, what if (Not saying this is likely, or anything of the sort) that Konami releases Suikoden VI, and all you've tried to establish in this fangame of yours, gets totally crushed? By the changes they make, etc etc.

You've made some bold things, even left to make it fit your own plans. To people that just loves Suikoden this looks weird, looks like you're making your own story, but just blatantly stealing things from the Suikoden world, which, i'm not standing for. I can however stand for you making a game, based on the canon ending of Suikoden II, not changing around with the unknown, too much. But more sticking to stuff that's actually plausible.

Which would be, Jowy, Riou and Nanami's lives, in their new home. I could stand for that. I could buy that. But when you speculate how events, have and haven't occured, people have a harder time buying it. They won't stand for it. I'm not judging your way of making a story
(Although some parts have been questionable, saying a leader and a king is the same thing, i for one never knew that Ghandi was a king.... Then we got the stuff about the Empire, which an author who released a book would actually know about....)
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

Windy's motivation is clarified by Leknaat during Suikoden 1. It's to exact revenge against the world for what was done to her village by Harmonia 400 or so years ago. For that purpose she sought the Souleater, and also sought to get the other half of the Gate Rune that Leknaat had in her posession.

The interesting thing is that both Windy and Leknaat are motivated by revenge to a certain extent, but their approach to absolving their vengeance is very different. Windy wanted to annihilate them using the power of true runes, while Leknaat was quietly biding her time, randomly teleporting to Harmonia and abducting young goys and girls (Luc and Sarah).

Post by 727 »

Did anyone even like the game? I'm playing it now. I don't know. It's flawed but I really like every scene that Jowy or Kage is in. That scene with windy on the bridge is my favorite part. I think I will include that in the recap.

I am continuing to plan the second game while I take my break and I want to know what you liked.(if anything :? )

Please be as specific as possible.

Nikisaur

Post by Nikisaur »

I haven't played it yet. Do you have a final cut of 'Episode One' that works properly etc?
The only thing Suikoden lacks...is dinosaurs.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

727 wrote:She wants to destroy Leknaat. How do you destroy someone whose immortal and is linked to all of the true runes? Destroy them!
Euh, you know that True Runes don't grant immortality at a whole, if WIndy wants to Kill Leknaat, she could just put a dagger into her heart and she would die. She doesn't need to destroy her rune first or something like that.

Also, Raww isn't pessimistic, he is just over-critical and that should be a good thing for a developer. Everybody in this thread loves the idea of a fanmade Suikoden-game and wants it to be entertaining, with a good story and all. But I think you defend your work a bit too much. When somebody gives you reasons why a character wouldn't act exactly as in your game, you try to justify it to the end and it won't change a bit.

I also can't tell you what I liked, since the story isn't developed enough in the first 10 minutes (I mean, there are only 4 or 5 real dialogues until then).
Also I think it is better (even if it sinks your motivation) to tell you things that we don't like, so you can work on that.