Odin Sphere

A forum for non-Suikoden games.
hotspot

Odin Sphere

Post by hotspot »

Odin Sphere (オーディンスフィア, Ōdein Suhuia?)is a 2.5D fantasy action RPG video game exclusive to the Sony PlayStation 2, featuring five different playable characters.

The nations of Erion had always held an uneasy peace, as the various kings and queens watched each other for any signs of weakness. When the country of Valentine is obliterated by the power of an ancient artifact, it sparks a bloody war between the fairies of Ringford and the warriors of Ragnanival. Little do they know that they are acting out an almost-forgotten prophecy: one that, if fulfilled, will lead to the destruction of the entire world. Take control of the warrior princess Gwendolyn, daughter of Odin, and follow the threads of an intricately woven story as you uncover the truth behind the prophecy – and how to bring it to an end.

On gamespot someone said that it's succesor called princess crown had secret characters, i hope we can play as this frog that is with mercedes(the girl with the crossbowgun) http://www.atlus.com/odinsphere/chara/big/img/big06.jpg
He reminds me of frog from chrono trigger.
Out of all 5 characters only one is a creature, sort of his name is cornilius and he is turned into a rabbit, i dont know how long though.

Gwendolyn
Daughter of the Demon Lord Odin and a Valkyrie princess of the Kingdom of Ragnanival. She is a brave warrior and her name is well known and feared on the battlefield, she has an older sister Griselda who is an even more skilled warrior. Gwendolyn feels she has grown up in her sisters shadow and this has led her to be quiet and reserved, but she will stand up against anyone when necessary.

Velvet
She is the last surviving heir of the fallen kingdom of Valentine. Valentine was destroyed by a magical explosion which is shrouded in mystery. Velvet fled to the forest of Elrit to hide her identity, and became known as the Forest Witch. she now devotes her life to piecing together prophesies in hopes of trying to stop Armageddon. She hates her father Odin because she feels his actions caused the death of her mother.

Oswald
Oswald is feared as the Shadow knight of the fairy kingdom of Ringford, and renowned as a dragon slayer. He was abandoned at a young age and taken in by the nephew of the fairy queen Melvin. Oswald lives to serve his adoptive father and carries out the orders and duties assigned to him with reckless abandon and an unrivaled skill known thoughout the land.

Cornelius
Cornelius is the prince of the kingdom of Titania, a serious young man with a strong sense of justice with views that may be too idealistic for the real world. Cornelius was mysteriously transformed into a beast and taken away from his homeland. He loves Velvet but fears when his journey home is over that she would reject him if she knew what he had become.

Mercedes
As the princess of the Fairy Kingdom of Ringford she was always looking to prove herself to her mother. After her mothers death she works hard to temper her maturity and strives to equal her mother's strong leadership for the welfare of Ringford.

It looks cool, i can't wait for it to come out.
I think i will play as velvet first( who seems like the main protaganist) becuase i think she is the main protaganist maybe not she's a fortune teller, i think the main protaganist is actually gwendolyn.
Although they are all protaganists.
I can't wait for it to come out it looks awsome!,
Although i dont think mercedes should be mercedes, mercedes is more of a city girl name not fairy girl name.

more info on wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odin_Sphere
"Every lie contains the truth, and every truth contains a lie..."~ Shu

Suiko-Kya-Cross
Forum about the Suikoden, Kya Dark Lineage and the Chrono games.
○♦•¤Suiko-Kya-Cross○♦•¤
Auragaea

Post by Auragaea »

I'm actually going to preorder it tomorrow! I love Vanillaware games, and I can't wait for Grim Grimoire too! Here's the english website:

http://www.atlus.com/odinsphere/
Hmm... Didn't make much money. Next time, let's get rich! - Rachel
Occam Arkitect

Post by Occam Arkitect »

Anyone got it yet? Is this really similar to VP?
Auragaea

Post by Auragaea »

Not at all. Don’t let the similarities between Norse mythology and the word sidescroller confuse your views on the 2 games. Odin Sphere doesn’t follow the mythology as faithfully as VP2 (which didn’t even follow the mythology that well either) and the combat is more of an action game than a RPG.
warmaster670

Post by warmaster670 »

ive played it, its a beutiful game, though the slowdowns in boss fights can be annoying.

gameplay is kinda simple, thankfully its not the same character through the whole game
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

Velvet is really something...
Auragaea

Post by Auragaea »

Blech... I hate how she stays stationary when she attacks. And doesn't sticking out her butt like that hurt her back?
Hikusaak

Re: Odin Sphere

Post by Hikusaak »

I've played the game...well...i guess its ok...

its fun while it lasts...

but then... it can get rather repetitive...

plus...yeah..the slowdown during boss fights can get kinda annoying..

hehe

but the game is ok...

(nn,)
Gen. Dirge

Post by Gen. Dirge »

Odin Sphere...
Ahh, yes. I was checking a lot of websites for info about it. I find it quite attractive and pleasing. I also saw one in a gaming store the other week. It costed well over $40, I think. And so was Grim Grimoire. I wanted to buy it but then....I had to save my allowance.
"I wish that days like this could just go on forever....." -Snowe Vingerhut

http://www.kian-sama.deviantart.com | http://saintdouchebag.tumblr.com/
Hey babycakes ;D
hotspot

Post by hotspot »

I've had Odin Sphere since september and i have to say it is a great game with great graphics and a really good storyline with many twists and turns, it also has some great songs. the only things i didn't like was that going to the same places over and over got a bit boring even if you were a different character, there are also some really tough enemies.

You know i bet if odin sphere was a suikoden that velvet would be the tenkai, she fits the tenkai role the best in my opinion.

hey for those of you who would like to know more about odin sphere, there is a fountain of knowledge at the odin sphere wiki.

http://odinsphere.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page
"Every lie contains the truth, and every truth contains a lie..."~ Shu

Suiko-Kya-Cross
Forum about the Suikoden, Kya Dark Lineage and the Chrono games.
○♦•¤Suiko-Kya-Cross○♦•¤
Mio
Banned User

Post by Mio »

after playing halfway through Gwendolyn's playthrough

i dropped my joystick to replay Suikoden V instead
Alestes

Post by Alestes »

It's an interesting & beautiful game for sure, but for some reason I just can't get into it. I simply just find the gameplay to be too boring, which is a shame cause I would like to see how the story unfolds.
Non Serviam

Post by Non Serviam »

I picked up this game shortly after it came out and initially, I loved it...beautiful graphics, fun (although repetitive at times) gameplay, interesting story...but what killed it for me is the lag times during certain battles...it got so bad that I finally just said "F**k it" and sold the game
Themadcow

Post by Themadcow »

The 'follow up' to this is now out in the US (I think) and soon to come to Europe - Murumasa, The Demon Blade.

Reviews have praised it for it's amazing 2D sprite based graphics, excellent fighting (no slowdown!!!), inventive boss battles...

AND!!!!!!

108 Swords (not of destiny) to obtain as you play through it.

The downsides are apparently that the plot, while well positioned and concieved, is a bit sparse when you play through the game and that there is a lot of backtracking through cleared zones when making progress.

I'm really looking forward to it though.

http://playmagazine.com/?fuseaction=Sit ... ntid=1836#
avenger

Post by avenger »

i started it way back. only got the first boss killed then i saved it. never got back to it.. there are soooo many other games in my collection that i 'd rather play or start.. i suppose when i have finished all of the games i want to play (upcoming games on ps3 ,ps2 other titles being played now) i'll get back to odin sphere. i liked what i saw in the short playthrough.