Retro RPGs on PS store

A forum for non-Suikoden games.
sticky-runes

Re: Retro RPGs on PS store

Postby sticky-runes » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:11 am

The White Witch thing looks sweet, and I do like Studio Ghibli's visuals, but it looks like there are too many kiddy characters.

I'm currently taking a break from gaming. I will finish Grandia eventually, but it feels like its dragging on too long. And it doesn't change much, you get to a town, have an unexciting incident happen with the town's leader, then go off and explore dungeons or mountain paths until you get to the next town, and the same thing happens again. At least Suikoden games throw other things into the mix like major battles and opportunities to recruit more characters so it's not tedious.

sticky-runes

Postby sticky-runes » Tue May 07, 2019 4:52 am

I've now moved on to Final Fantasy 9. It's very annoying when the team splits up every time I enter a town. And the "trance" feature sucks. They should have kept limit breaks.

sticky-runes

Postby sticky-runes » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:04 am

I still haven't finished any of these games.

At the moment I'm back to playing Pier Solar. It's such a badly designed game. There are towns where you have to go through underground passages inside random people's homes to get to basic locations such as a dock or train station, no streets that lead straight there, you have to enter someone's house and walk through their fricking basement.

And every town has long narrow walkways that NPCs like to wander into. You know that guy in Suikoden 1 who hangs out at the dock in Kaku? Well imagine him x2000!!!

The only thing they've really done a good job of is the background music. There are some catchy tunes in dungeons and towns that makes wandering around like a moron slightly less unpleasant.

Oh, and when you're on a quest to gather information, the characters are scripted to only ask the apropriate question at the most inapropriate time. For example I was wandering around a huge city looking for some guy, and one of my allies asks a young boy if he knows the person, to which the boy replies "No, but my dad might know if you ask him" and his dad turns out to be the innkeeper who we've rented a room from a dozen times already. The characters didn't think to fricking ask the innkeeper in the first place??? And this happens repeatedly throughout the game.

Antimatzist

Postby Antimatzist » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:55 am

Iirc Pier Dolar was one of the First retro-style Indie RPGs and thankfully nobody remembers it anymore. It looks so nice, but is so bad.

Jastreb_J21

Postby Jastreb_J21 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:57 am

I've recently restarted playing Suikoden IV (that's why I'm here), which I'm playing along with Ace Combat 04 when I launch the PS2.

sticky-runes

Postby sticky-runes » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:52 am

And I'm done with Pier Solar. Just got to the part at the magic school where you have to do a trial crossing a series of slippery walkways in under a minute without falling. That game can suck my balls.

Rooks

Postby Rooks » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:41 pm

Iirc Pier Dolar was one of the First retro-style Indie RPGs and thankfully nobody remembers it anymore. It looks so nice, but is so bad.
I know that Animatzist swears by the Growlanser games, which are on the N. American PSN store, and I plan to pick up rather soon. Also, I have it on good information that La Pucell Tactics is pretty good, and I plan to pick that one up.

Other than that, Persona 2, Persona 3 FES, and Persona 4 are on the PSN, at least in N. America here, and those are absolutely a must, after the Suikoden games, obviously.
Ominous Latinus Phraseus

sticky-runes

Postby sticky-runes » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:25 am

I've downloaded Secret of Mana, the PS4 remake. I never played the original SNES version, but I've always been curious about it. I'm liking it, but I kinda wish I was playing it with the original 2d graphics. The menus are horrendous. Whats with all the circles?? Lists and grids please. My fragile mind can handle circular menues.

I'm also playing Stardew Valley. I like it. A very laid back game where the focus goes on conservation and foraging and growing crops and the questing stuff is more of a side feature. Some basic items are ridiculously expensive, though. And the inventory is a bit f#cked. If you combine items to make something new and your inventory is full, then you are forced to delete something. Not too happy about that. And the day is about 10 minutes long, so you've got very limited time to use the shops. One of the main shops in town is closed on a particular day, and sometimes the shop owner doesn't even stand at the till so you have to come back when he's actually serving customers. I do wonder if there has ever been an RPG designed by someone who actually has retail experience!

sticky-runes

Postby sticky-runes » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:50 pm

Stardew Valley has been keeping me occupied for most of my quarantine period. I'm on my third in-game year and going through a tough slog because in my second year I bought tons of animals but didn't store enough hay to last through winter, so now I'm desperately trying to replenish. It's good that a game can have long lasting consequences if you're not careful.

I tried to be a loyal customer to the guy who runs the general store, but it's not helpful that he closes on Wednesday, so I ended up shopping at his competitor!

Return to “Other Games Discussion”