Skyrim Dwemer = Sindar?

A forum for non-Suikoden games.
bluemask

Skyrim Dwemer = Sindar?

Post by bluemask »

I don't have much source to backup this up but according the Skyrim lore, Dwemer is a very advanced race in terms of technological development. Then suddenly, these Dwemers just disappeared for no apparent reason, leaving behind their advanced ruins in the open. Some sealed.

Sounds familiar?

Sindar is a race who are basically... Well just replace all Dwemer above with Sindar.

Is this a homage? or I'm just digging too deep??? Lol.

Oh and for those who aren't familiar with the Elder Scrolls series, Dwemer is an elf race who are MIA since who knows when. Though they appeared in the fourth installment, Oblivion.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Re: Skyrim Dwemer = Sindar?

Post by Pyriel »

You're reading too much into it. The technologically advanced, ancient, vanished race is a fantasy cliche. I remember it being part of several SEGA (Phantasy Star) and SNES games. What's more, the Elder Scrolls actually predates Suikoden II by a few years, and that was the first appearance of the Sindar, I think. They might have been mentioned in passing or in an old book in the original game, but you didn't explore their ruins or anything. I think the Dwemer legends first appear in Redguard, which came out around the same time as Suikoden II. If they were mentioned in Daggerfall or Arena, they could even predate the original Suikoden.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Aren't the dwemer dwarves? The dwarves in Suikoden are still very much alive and kicking.

And yes, the advanced race who disappeared/died out has been a cliche for many fantasy stories.
BrucePrintscreen

Post by BrucePrintscreen »

I think the Pyramids of Ancient Egypt are actually a reference to Sindars in Suikoden. Plato himself wrote a fanfiction inspired by the Sindars, only that he called them 'Atlantis'.
bluemask

Post by bluemask »

Oh I see... I need to play some classic RPGs and study more history then lol. Well, it's fun to theorize/fantasize at all being a fan of both sagas haha.