Resident Evil 6

A forum for non-Suikoden games.
dragonmasterx
Elite Member

Re: Resident Evil 6

Post by dragonmasterx »

Personally, I don't mind waiting another 3 or 4 years to see RE6 Alternative/Gold Edition on PSN real cheap.
Figo710

Post by Figo710 »

I've read a couple reviews and the majority of them are somewhat negative. Is RE6 really that bad? I've played every single game released (aside from 6) and enjoyed them thoroughly. So I find it hard to believe that the latest installment would be complete garbage. Anyone here played It?
freshmetal

Post by freshmetal »

I haven't played it, but I've heard that most of the complaints are that it's too action oriented and not enough horror.

I think that argument is B.S. though based on this argument: The fans that make that claim have been fans since the early days of the series, and may just be desensitized to the horror elements, in other words, no longer afraid of things they use to be afraid of. Here's a comparison using horror movies. Someone who was terrified by the early Nightmare on Elm Street or Friday the 13th movies may not be phased by the newer movies claiming they're just not scary anymore. It doesn't mean that the movies aren't scary, just that the viewer is use to use to it now. A horror movie newbie would probably be terrified by the newer films.

I think the same can be applied to games. I've been a fan since the PS1 days and it's hard for RE to scare me now. It doesn't mean it's NOT scary, just that I'm use to it. A new comer may think RE6 is very scary.

That's just my theory.
PSN: FreshMetal80
Rooks

Post by Rooks »

I used to work in film distribution, and still have a lot of friends in the industry. One of these friends figured our how to hook his PS3 up to the digital projectors, so we will be playing RE6 in a dark theater together. . . It should be pretty awesome, I will let you guys know how it goes.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

I finally got round to playing RE6 yesterday. Spoilers to follow...

So far, I've only played through Leon's scenario (I played as Helena) and at the beginning it was quite awesome. The outbreak in the American city was very reminiscent of Raccoon City, and they put a lot of effort into making it look like we were actually experiencing an outbreak, by having townspeople running for their lives and disasters breaking out everywhere (unlike the older games where you just start off and there are zombies everywhere and that's it). It really felt like they had taken all the best parts from every RE game I've ever played, and put them all into one.

Then it got to the Chapel, and that was just dull. the puzzles were tedious, even the characters were getting pissed off.

The outbreak on the plane was very cool, but too short.

Then the whole China sequence was boring. Being chased around by that guy who kept becoming more and more powerful. We've killed him. Oh no we haven't. We got him. No, he's back again. I was really getting fed up by this point. The never-ending-enemy thing has happened so many times in these games, that it's become an annoyance.

It's a beautiful looking game, the lighting effects are fantastic, and it's nice to finally have physical attacks that we can use at any time, instead of having to wait until the enemy is stunned before we can throw a punch or kick. Love how the characters use the enemy's weapons against them - something I always thought should have been in RE5.

It also felt good to be back in urban environments, since RE4 and 5 were both set in primitive locales in the arse end of nowhere.

The story of RE6 seems a bit of a mess, and I don't think it's as well presented as Revelations was.

Obviously I've still got quite a lot to do in RE6, but I just think that my enthusiasm for the series as a whole is just not what it used to be. It has been a while since I last played any RE games, and RE6 hasn't quite sparked me up the way I was hoping it would. Anybody else care to let me know if the rest of the game is worth looking forward to?
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Well Chris' scenario turned out to be a load of bollocks. :x
Let's see what Sherry and Jake get up to.
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

After playing through Leon's part of the campaign and starting on Chris, I can definetely say that Leon was the better feel for me, early Chris is a shoot'em up feel right from the start. I'm glad to finally see my two favorite lead characters in the same game, but not quite happy about the result.

Seeing as I'm around 30% done with the game with Leons campaign finished and Chris started, I'll give the remainder of the game the benefit of the doubt and continue onwards.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

well so far, Jake's scenario is the best, IMO. I think they've done a very good job of giving us a mature Sherry Birkin (see, Capcom? It's not so bad, giving us an update on characters we haven't seen in ages, instead of constantly making it all about the same 3 major characters, and introducing yet more new characters that we're probably never gonna see again)

The chase sequences are horrendous, though. The forced camera angles make it really awkward, and there's very little indication of what move you're supposed to do next.
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

Well Capcom sure loves to give us forced camera angles in Resident Evil, I wonder if they think we'll embrace it as retro and returning to the old formula?
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

thing is, I liked the old games with the fixed camera views because you could still take your time exploring the area, but for the RE6 chase sequences, they've made it into part gameplay and part quick time event, and it just doesn't work well. You need to move quickly before whatever is chasing you kills you with one hit, forcing you to start the scene again. I think the idea is to show us their fancy graphics, but the one time I really need the free roaming camera is when I'm running for my life, so I can see where the hell I'm going, I don't want to be distracted by a collapsing building or monster towering over me.

I've never been a fan of QTEs, because it's distracting me with a fancy animation while I've only got a split second to press the button or start again, and these chase sequences are much worse, because you actually have to direct the character as well.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Echoe...

Echoe...

Echoe...
freshmetal

Post by freshmetal »

All RE games are now on sale super cheap on the Playstation Store. I found it quite funny that Resident Evil 6 is priced cheaper than Operation Raccoon City.
PSN: FreshMetal80
Rooks

Post by Rooks »

Yeah, well, Capcom went and shot themselves in the foot over their investor guidance. Basically, they predicted that the game would sell more copies than it did, and then everyone freaked out when it "only" sold 4.5 million instead of 5 million. Whereas "Raccoon City" was developed, marketed, and released on a realistic budget, Capcom has no ground to make up for there.

As for RE6, I will say that the sound design in that game is amazing. . . other than that. . . it is just passable. I imagine many critics would like to give the game a higher score in retrospect, as the releases of Aliens: Colonial Marines and Walking Dead: Survival Instinct showed us all what a truly bad horror game is.

I do wish Claire would return for the series though, I kinda miss her.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Claire should have been in RE6 instead of Chris. Then it could have been a proper reunion between the RE2 cast, showing how they've all "grown up". Chris has been over-used in all the recent RE games to the point he's become dull. And we were supposed to look forward to having Chris and Leon in the same game together, but all we really got was their little scuffle that was shown in the teaser trailer anyway, they didn't actually get to fight BOWs alongside each other. Sherry got to help them both out separately, but there was no Leon and Chris action.

As for ORC, that game could have been better, but at least it was consistent throughout - you had to get from here to here, and all these enemies are in your way and you have to get through them. RE6 was a mess of awkward chase sequences and bosses that never die.
Cerahbes

Post by Cerahbes »

I had a blast playing co-op on ORC. I like how it gave Umbrella a personality instead of the "mysterious evil corporation". When it was over, I was sad and wishing there was more! Now RE6... I had to FORCE myself to finish it. It was just so ho-hum.