Skyward Sword

A forum for non-Suikoden games.
Xelinis

Skyward Sword

Post by Xelinis »

I got the game recently and, it has to be said, I'm a bit disappointed. The controls are somewhat of a mess and the world feels so uninteresting compared to previous titles. I was a bit critical of Twilight Princess when it came out, but this new entry in the series is casting TP in a much better light.
Hirathien

Re: Skyward Sword

Post by Hirathien »

Be careful so you don't make the game uncompletable.
dragons_descent4

Post by dragons_descent4 »

I have a love hate relationship with that game...sort of. I want to play it,but I get so annoyed with the controls at times I just have to make myself walk away.
"Now we can fight to our hearts' content."
"Too bad I have to fight with you."
- Viktor and Flik

Into dark humor? Check out my upcoming webseries!
https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Morb ... 1697490455
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

I haven't played it, cause I don't have motion plus and I can't really convince myself to get one now either with Wii U approaching. But I don't feel like I'm missing out on something which is a bit sad since it's Zelda, but the series has been hit and miss ever since Eiji Anouma took over.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
Xelinis

Post by Xelinis »

I tend to blame a lot of the lost magic on the departure of Yoshiaki Koizumi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoshiaki_Koizumi) from the team. What I would give for a new Zelda game directed by him...
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

i finished this game and i think i enjoyed Twilight Princess more (though i hated the archer-related activities from that game!!). i have only played these 2 Zelda games and have tried playing the older games but was completely turned off by the lack of instruction and continuously respawning enemies as i tried to figure out how to get to the next story point or whatever.

i found this game more gimmicky than Twilight Princess.. wasn't impressed. also, the invincible beetle thing should have been named the hero of the game since it did EVERYTHING for Link!

the only reason i played these games is because my gf was interested...
dragonmasterx
Elite Member

Post by dragonmasterx »

I wonder if Nintendo will make HD versions of many of these quality games for Wii U down the line... It would be an easy profit. Sell them at a lower price than normal games, or bundle them like Mario Galaxy 1&2, etc. HD collections are doing well on the PS3 after all.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

dragonmasterx wrote:I wonder if Nintendo will make HD versions of many of these quality games for Wii U down the line...
Well, they have announced Wind Waker HD now so it's not impossible. Too bad I hated Wind Waker though, never finished it.

Ocarina of Time for 3DS was essentially an HD port as well.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

I own it. Got it for xmas two years ago. I barely played it though. It just seemed so "been there done that". Nothing has really changed since OoT. Well, I guess the flying on a bird thing did change, although the one game with that where you're chasing someone and he's throwing things at you was aggravating. Plus now there's tons of annoying waggle. After making those eyes dizzy three times by rotating your sword I turned off the game and haven't gone back.

I don't really think I'll be buying a Wii-U. I guess I've gotten bored of all of Nintendo's franchises.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

Aside from the waggle, and the annoying directional attacking crap, what bugged me about the game was that it was intended to be the story of how Link got his sword, and how other recurring themes came to be, and even doing that, they had to resort to everything coming down from the long-long-ago, a mythic era full of tales we weren't sure were true until the ancient, forgotten evil returned. I was expecting the Big Bang of Hyrule. An event that preceded everything, and it's useless to wonder what came before because there was no "before" in any meaningful sense. Instead, there are ancient wonders modern people can't begin to comprehend because the ancients were so much more advanced, and the whole plot of the game is the fulfillment of prophecies and plans laid down centuries beforehand.

Nintendo had the opportunity to break with form here, and make a game where you're seeing genesis in an almost literal sense. Instead, they just picked up the usual format and dropped it somewhere earlier on the timeline.
Rooks

Post by Rooks »

Yeah, I am not sold on the game either. First and foremost is that while I am a fan of Nintendo, the motion controls of the Wii U I find nearly unbearable. I am currently playing through Twilight Princess on the GameCube and am loving it, but I first tried to play it a number of years ago on my friend's Wii and was dissapointed, because the Wii remote flailing was terribly distracting and unintuitive.

While I do not like how the series has stagnated since Ocarina of Time, I think Nintendo did a decent job of changing things up with Majora's Mask. The art style of Wind Waker is gorgeous in my opinion, and Twilight Princess has wolf battles and sumo wrestling, so I am happy. Skyward on the other hand, just does not seem to offer anything to me to counteract the awful controls.

If you are going to stagnate, stagnating on Ocarina of Time is a pretty good place to do it, but still Nintendo is going to really have to try hard in their next Zelda outing to impress me.