Radiant Historia [DS]

A forum for non-Suikoden games.
Neclord X

Radiant Historia [DS]

Post by Neclord X »

I'm actually playing this game, is a classic rpg
In the world of Vainqueur, a land of man and beasts, the holy nation of the East, Alistel is in a state of war with Granorg, a massive country to the West that is ruled harshly by Queen Protea. Alistel's land is slowly turning to desert while a strange disease is turning its people into sand, known as the "Sand Plague" The ruler of Alistel, Noah, insists that this worldwide disease is the result of Protea's evil government. The people of Alistel thus believe they are fighting a holy war against Granorg.[1]

One day, Stocke, an agent with the intelligence agency of Alistel and his subordinates are sent into Granorg territory to rescue a secret agent who was captured by the government of Granorg. After saving the agent, the group find themselves surrounded by the Granorg army, and Stocke is severely wounded. He awakens in Historia, a world where time and space are warped. There, two mysterious children give him the ability to travel through time and space. He is told that the world needs his power
Is a little linear but it's quite interesting. The mc is charismatic, the plot is solid. And the time-travel system (like in Crhono trigger when you change the past to change the future) its quite fun.

Also the battle system is fun since you need to use tactics even for random battles (not random in fact, you see the enemy and if you touch him you enter in battle) And the challenge is acceptable, is not as east as other DS rpg.

With the ost (remembers me suikoden ost), the countries at war thing and the "make an army" and the sprites feels lot suikoden-like.

Of course is not a suikoden, but is a really good classic style rpg. I strongly recommend you this game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFFPfguj ... ure=relmfu
Antimatzist

Re: Radiant Historia [DS]

Post by Antimatzist »

I'm really intrested, but I dont have the 40€ for the game + OST. But it's definitely on my list.
Neclord X

Post by Neclord X »

I just finished the game and is trully glorious. The best classic rpg I played in years and the best original DS rpg I played (I say "original" because I'm excluding remakes like Chrono Trigger)
hotspot

Post by hotspot »

I heard about this game a while ago and I think it looks very interesting, I'd like to get this game in the future.
"Every lie contains the truth, and every truth contains a lie..."~ Shu

Suiko-Kya-Cross
Forum about the Suikoden, Kya Dark Lineage and the Chrono games.
○♦•¤Suiko-Kya-Cross○♦•¤
dragonmasterx
Elite Member

Post by dragonmasterx »

The side characters could have used A LOT MORE backstory, the balance of the special moves near the end game is awful, those are two my major gripes. I did enjoy it very much.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Wish the story had more branches than just two.

The Chronicles reminded me of Tierkreis.
caspiancomic

Post by caspiancomic »

I recently finished this game myself, and enjoyed it a lot. The battle system in particular was excellent. I feel like JRPGs, while they've never been particularly difficult, have been getting a bit soft on us recently. But this game is actually really demanding. Even the minor enemy encounters tend to really mess you up unless your tactics are sound, and towards the end of the game the whole "smack an enemy on the overworld map to get a preemptive strike" thing was practically mandatory if you didn't want your enemy getting in 14 turns before you got any. It's also really satisfying once you start playing with building up longer and longer combos later in the game. I think my record was like 71 hits or something, even though the thing was clearly dead after about 9. Aht and Gafka were really awesome in the combo department. If I could help it those two never left my party.

The story was also quite good. It was a bit top-heavy with the exposition, especially in the earliest parts of the game, but once it's properly established who is from which country, who is at war with whom, etc etc, and the story is allowed to start developing naturally, I found the pace really picked up. I actually got really interested in how the two timelines were playing out- although I'll admit I had trouble keeping track of who knew whom and what exactly I was doing when moving from timeline to timeline.

I also liked the main character. He was an interesting type- certainly not the standard JRPG hero (okay, he LOOKED like the standard JRPG hero- that is, an impossibly young to be that highly ranked pretty boy). When you get a teenaged/twentysomething hero in a JRPG, they tend to be all about the power of friendship and using sheer knuckleheaded determination to overcome obstacles. That, or a brooding antisocial weirdo hellbent on rejecting the power of friendship out of a contrived personal tragedy in their backstory. Stocke felt like a very real character, and his characterization was consistent with what we're told of his history. He's a real military man- practical, level headed, capable of making difficult, and not necessarily popular, decisions under pressure. But at the same time, he's not completely cold, and he often takes time to open up to his friends and subordinates where a less well written character might be all about the job. I noticed that to access several of the "bad endings" you have to make decisions that would be perfectly acceptable in other games, where the dimwitted but bighearted hero can seemingly bend reality through his commitment to having people follow their hearts, no matter what. Stocke often has to tell people- either main characters or just random townsfolk- what they need to hear, even when the truth is difficult or painful. That wouldn't fly in a lot of games, and I appreciated Radiant Historia being more practical than idealistic, we don't see a lot of that in JRPGs.

So yeah, any fans of the classic JRPG formula with a few welcome and interesting twists, I highly recommend checking it out. Great soundtrack, too.