Tactics Ogre

A forum for non-Suikoden games.
Queens Knight

Tactics Ogre

Post by Queens Knight »

Anyone that has played this gem of a game should be happy to hear that SE has finally gotten off their fat donkey and are bringing Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together to the Psp.

For anyone that doesn't know, Tactics Ogre was developed by Quest, then Squaresoft bought the company, and had the same team that made Ogre, make Final Fantasy Tactics.

No release date has been set as of yet, but there are screens of the new game, it's not quite a re-make of the game more like a re-imagining, seems like much, if not most of the game is going to remain the same (Which is good in my opinion, re-makes almost never turn out well :P ) adding some more character side-quests, along with a couple extra levels, game is being polished, will retain the same sprite animations, but have a 3D backround/backdrop?, as well as some minor "improvements" to the game.

Can't wait, so excited for this game, it's impossible to find, was only released in japan for the Super Famicon, and extremely limited release for the ps1 in N.A on the re-release for the Playstation.

It's about time SE stopped beating the dead horse that is the FF franchise and started to focus even a tiny bit more on so many of the other titles it retains the rights too.

oh...I'm also back after being absent from Forums for around 2 years...slipped my mind I suppose hehe
27x4=108

Re: Tactics Ogre

Post by 27x4=108 »

One of the best games I ever played.
Sorry for my very bad english! :S
TrueWater00

Post by TrueWater00 »

Yes!!!!!! no joke I JUST downloaded tactics ogre on my snes ROM, what an amazing game indeed!
Heh,I'll make sure you can never make that grin again.I'll chop you up!Ground you up!Dry you in the sun!Break you to pieces!Bury you in the ground!Piss on you!Then i'll dig you up!Pull you!Stretch you!Drag you around!I'll Never Forgive You-Viktor
SuikodenTHater

Post by SuikodenTHater »

A game worthy of a remake for sure
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

I have been playing the remake recently and am really enjoying it. It's more of a Final Fantasy Tactics game than anything to do with Ogre Battle. I kind of miss the whole unit and free roaming countryside of the other Ogre Battle games, but this game is the finest example of a Final fantasy Tactics style game since. . . well FFT!

The plot is a bit overblown and melodramatic but the control you have at key points of where the plot goes is very enjoyable. Plus, I just love leveling large groups of people up over time (one of the reasons I enjoy Suikoden so much). Anyone who enjoyed FFT will like this game. And if you've played any previous Ogre Battle games you'll see familiar faces and music, just don't expect the battle system to be anything like the other games.
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

Just to interject, Tactics Ogre was indeed first to come up with the style, and FFT came after it (and used the same style mainly because it's the same people / team that worked on both).
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Yes, I'd heard that, why did they change the style to the very different battle system in Ogre Battle then?
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

Tactics Ogre was actually only the second game in the whole Ogre Battle saga, so there was no established "style" for the series back then (back in 1995 or something). Quest (the original company that Matsuno belonged to when develping Ogre Battle and Tactics Ogre) liked to come up with new stuff, so perhaps they just wanted to keep developing new methods (such as the HERMIT graphics engine they developed for Tactics Ogre). There's been no official announcement as to "why" they changed the style or anything, though.
thcrock
Global Admin

Post by thcrock »

Vextor wrote:Just to interject, Tactics Ogre was indeed first to come up with the style, and FFT came after it (and used the same style mainly because it's the same people / team that worked on both).
Just to elaborate, Square did the same thing that Valve did with Narbacular Drop to make Portal:
Saw a company that made an awesome game, bought the company and hired all staff, and told them to remake the game in their universe.
Luke

Post by Luke »

Finished today (psp version). I prefered Final Fantasy Tactics on every aspect (plot, soundtrack, more strategic battle system...), but I definitely loved a lot this one too. I have a feeling like if FFT is a "natural evolution" of this game (something like the same feeling I had playing Suikoden - Suikoden II). Ah I love Sakimoto music, surely one of my favourite composers
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

Tactics Ogre was definitely one of my favorite games on PSOne (since we never got the SNES version). I had actually played it before FFT, so I had a big "why did Squaresoft rip off Quest?" debate prior to my finding out Squaresoft had actually bought them.
I will say that I spent a lot more time playing The Knight of Lodis rather than Let Us Cling Together. Probably has something to do with the fact that I sought out the former and was gifted the latter.

Since this thread is basically devoted to Tactics Ogre/Ogre Battle now, I need to bring up one thing a lot of people overlook unless already familiar with the subject (or over 30 years old):
Notice the lengthy subtitles of each game? The first two were actually titles of Queen songs. Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen and Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together.
Formerly known as: Gothann
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Yes, it's a theme they do for the US releases, it isn't like that in Japan. And Person of Lordly Caliber from the 64 version is unfortunately not a Queen title because it's the title from the Japanese version.
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

Last I checked, the subtitles were part of the box art or the intro screens, but they never really refer to the games by their full names.
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... _cover.jpg
http://www.gamefaqs.com/snes/588541-ogr ... /box-40322

They also don't put much stock in the subtitles themselves. While it was Let Us Cling Together on SNES/PSOne, the PSP remake of Tactics Ogre was renamed to The Wheel of Fortune.
Formerly known as: Gothann
dragonmasterx
Elite Member

Post by dragonmasterx »

KoRnholio wrote:
Vextor wrote:Just to interject, Tactics Ogre was indeed first to come up with the style, and FFT came after it (and used the same style mainly because it's the same people / team that worked on both).
Just to elaborate, Square did the same thing that Valve did with Narbacular Drop to make Portal:
Saw a company that made an awesome game, bought the company and hired all staff, and told them to remake the game in their universe.
Valve kinda did that with Defense of the Ancients 2 as well, but with a custom Warcraft 3 map in this case. They also hired the Half-Life 2 mod creator. Valve is smart in hiring the right people!
---
I had fun with the PSP version of Tactics Ogre, but the amount of grinding you have to do get characters like Lans and Warren into your party is ridiculous, so I gave up at that point.