Dragon Age: Origins (PC/PS3/Xbox)

A forum for non-Suikoden games.
thcrock
Global Admin

Re: Dragon Age: Origins (PC/PS3/Xbox)

Post by thcrock »

I had that experience with Oblivion. A quest-breaking glitch in a early in the game turned me off from it (though honestly, I wasn't liking it that much to begin with), and I never played it again. Not the same company, but a WRPG nonetheless. Not looking forward to glitches like that when I finally get Dragon Age.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Raww Le Klueze wrote: And you know, when you make a game that you claim is all about giving the player a choice, try to make the game remember which choices you made.

Seriously, go for the "dark" ending with a male char, befriend Alistair and marvel at how right before the final battle he talks about Morrigan saving them and yet in the ending the bugger has no clue why they didn't have to make the sacrifice despite only minutes early clearly being in the know. *facepalm*
Odd, I haven't had that happen to me. But when he and Morrigan saved us, afterwards I never took him with me for the final battle (that character was really mean to Alistair) so he didn't get additional dialogue.

While I did find a couple inconsistencies in the plot, mostly where I was clearly supposed to talk to all my party members when I first got them, and instead I didn't until after I had completed a large portion of the game, and they were talking as if the intervening time hadn't happened. Such as one character who lost her memory, I helped her get it back and when I talked to her in detail afterwards she still talked like she didn't have a memory. That could have been handled better but considering the amount of flexibility they give you I don't mind one or two things they didn't quite iron out.

There's situations were you can skip entire quests by being a jackass, or in a situation where it looks like you have to pick a side you can play both sides against each other. It's not perfect but it's heads and shoulders ahead of any other game where you get so many moral choices.
Raww Le Klueze wrote: Ooooh boy, as far as I'm concerned Bioware needs to talk less crap about JRPG's and focus more on making their own games freaking playable.
I'm working through my third playthrough, which I'm about halfway through, and my boyfriend is also on his 3rd playthrough and I watched a lot of what he did and in all that time I have only seen three glitches occur, so I'd say the game is pretty far from not being playable.

One time, there was a cell where the prisoner would say something about being locked up if you talked to him through the bars. If you opened the cell it would trigger a sequence where he is freed and talks to you. But, regardless of if I opened the door or not he never switched to his "freed" dialogue. He was only a minor character anyway so it didn't much matter that I "never freed him". My other times through the game didn't have that problem.

Another time there was a scripted sequence followed by a battle and then follow up dialogue, in this case though the opening scripted sequence played again instead of the follow up dialogue. I just ran around the arena a bit and eventually the correct ending dialogue occurred. This occurred both times I did that battle, but never happened to my boyfriend the one time he was in a similar situation.

The last glitch my boyfriend found was after killing a boss and being taken downstairs to complete the quest, when he returned back to the top of the tower to explore the boss was back for no decipherable reason, it had no sequences or anything this time, but my bf did get the exp again for killing it a second time.

None of those glitches forced me to reset at all. But, yes the game isn't perfect. I think Bioware is improving though given that KOTOR was kind of broken in places and this game seems less so.

So I'd still get it even if you're worried about glitches, just have multiple save files. You'll only stumble upon anything that's really messed up if you're very unlucky.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Alrighty I take it back, it is a bit more glitchy than it should be. I just had like a few things go wrong in a row. A negative status effect which shouldn't last long seems permanently on a character, and it locked up in the midst of a difficult battle. So yeah I'm not too impressed at the moment. It's usually good but I do think Bioware needs to focus on a patch sometime soon.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

You know what annoys me? The fact that if I go into the menu, items, usables I still can't use most of them. No, you have to go through taking control of the character, go to the radial menu, poultices, then locate the icon that looks like it could be what you're after and then you can use it. I spent the first playthrough only healing injuries at camp cause I didn't figure that out.

Especially confusing about it was that you have to go via the menu to use tomes but nothing else can be used that way.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
thcrock
Global Admin

Post by thcrock »

Wow. I didn't know it had this many major issues. Maybe its good that I have a backlog of games to get to, and won't be able to play this for a while. By then it could be patched.
avenger

Post by avenger »

I have this game, however didnt' really play much of it yet, because i have too many other games i have to play yet.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

I mean I still love it for its plot and characters, I played it through three times but the more you play the more likely you are to notice conversations that don't quite work and other glitches. The negative status thing did eventually go away but it lasted for about 20 minutes of a level, I think it was a cinematic that finally got rid of it.

One thing that is a bit of an oversight is that if you play with anyone who's not human not all the dialogue choices are that logical. For instance both the elves and the dwarves have a different religion from everyone else, but there are always lots of dialogue options with refrences or just general knowledge about human society and religion that they would never say. On the other hand they're usually pretty good at giving you unique dialogue options when you're a dwarf who's returned to the dwarvern kingdom, because you've got insider knowledge.

These aren't things you would notice your first playthrough and I don't think it's a big deal but it is something you start to notice.

I just got the Platinum trophy on the PS3 so I think I'm done playing it at least for a long while.
Eden

Post by Eden »

I liked the game. A lot.
I enjoyed all of the BioWare games I have played so far. In this game I started as a dwarven noble as a thief, which was fun, although I never ever used the stealth skill. I started a new game as mage when I finished the game for the first time, but stopped due to Mass Effect II. What I have seen of the mage's "story" and gameplay it is quite fun as well.
The Fool
RangerDeon

Post by RangerDeon »

oh my god..I've started over on this game like 352463456 times since I got it.

I keep going "Hmm..I want to be an elf. . .no! A human! No! A male! No a female! GAARH"

I hate myself.
I love this game.

"I wasn't getting rid of you. I want you to do whatever you want to do with me. I know that sounded dirty, and dirty things count, but I didn't mean the dirty things. You and me can hang whenever, wherever."
-Lorelai Gilmore
Eden

Post by Eden »

I never play as a female in any game. It doesn't suit me well.
As I said, I finished the game as the noble dwarf with a thief profession and played with the mage until I was able to access the map. I started a noble human as well, which was a soldier/knight/warrior/whatever, but only finished the prologue.

I have to say, much of the attitude of my characters seems to be fixed. I tried to play the human noble as fun guy and the mage as snob and was suprised how well it worked at first. Then I realised that many of my optional answers are already directed in a certain direction.
The Fool
RangerDeon

Post by RangerDeon »

I created a file for all classes.

2 humans, 2 dwarfs and 2 elves.

Male human noble.
Female human mage.
Male Dalish elf.
Female city elf.
Male Dwarf Noble.
Female dwarf commoner.

I only started and saved each of them....
I played through the Male Noble to the after the big battle. But i haven't beaten it yet.

Now I'm sorta playing as the female mage because I haved nailed Alister yet and..well...I want to. haha. . .

Plus I want to play around with spirit magic, something I haven't done yet.

"I wasn't getting rid of you. I want you to do whatever you want to do with me. I know that sounded dirty, and dirty things count, but I didn't mean the dirty things. You and me can hang whenever, wherever."
-Lorelai Gilmore
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Alistair was my last holdout for getting Platinum. I got his trophy, the trophy for sleeping with everyone, and the platinum all in one go.
RangerDeon

Post by RangerDeon »

Lucky!

I FINALLY got Morrigan. She offered on my first playthrough but I said "Nope!"
I shouldn't have....

But now I finally got everyone. So now i got the trophies for bumping uglies with those fellows.

-Lorelai Gilmore
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

I still find it strange that Leliana is the one open for girl-on-girl action when Morrigan seems more the type not to care one whit.

I was thinking on playing through it again when Return to Ostagar goes on the PSN (and that better be tomorrow Bioware, this is damn ridiculous) but then I find that there's two things I just don't want to do again.

1. The Circle of Magi is such a boring quest when you're in the Fade, it's just so tedious to have to switch back and forth ad naseum. I really hate that part.
2. Orzammar takes too bloody long. Though it would be funny to the quests for one guy and then just crown the other guy afterwards as thanks for making me to all the work.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

That's one of the infuriating things about Ozamaar is that it doesn't make any difference what quests you do, you can just give the crown to whoever you want in the end. Also, it auto saves every friggin second. I always have to turn it off for a while so that I don't go quite mad.

The only good things about the Mage's thing is all the stat points you get. That and seeing the different characters' nightmare sequences. Morrigans is by far the best though.

Oh and I hear you about RTO but it is stupid Sony and their certification process, I've seen tons of companies have problems getting anything pushed through the red tape. But I'm just looking forward to playing my favourite character again even if it's only for 40 minutes.