Heavy Rain *spoilers*

A forum for non-Suikoden games.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Re: Heavy Rain

Post by Oppenheimer »

Raww Le Klueze wrote: I figured I'd just take the oppertunity to party like it's 1999.
I did in fact "LOL" over this, and being at work that's not necessarily a good thing.

Anyway, I'm just going to leave my turned off today to be on the safe side. Hopefully it will fix itself tomorrow. Unfortunately I am not busy at all and will have to resort to playing something on the Wii! *gasp* or maybe the PC.
RangerDeon

Post by RangerDeon »

Mine wasn't effected by the widespread error.
(lets not jinx it Deon, geez)

But the sad thing is that I'm actually busy with all the papers I have to right before next week (SPRING BREAK! YUSS!). I wonder if I can 'multitask'....

I lol'd at the "Party/1999" joke. Priceless. And Oppie, laughing out loud in public places and having them look at you like you're crazy...now THAT'S priceless.

I wonder why it's acting up now and not last year. They said it had something to do with the date and the fact that it not saying March 1st. I could have heard wrong.

"I wasn't getting rid of you. I want you to do whatever you want to do with me. I know that sounded dirty, and dirty things count, but I didn't mean the dirty things. You and me can hang whenever, wherever."
-Lorelai Gilmore
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

The theory is that it thinks 2010 is a leap year, leap years only occur on even years. Since it was released after Feb 2006 it wasn't affected, 2008 really was a leap year so it was fine, and now it's 2010 and it sets the clock to a date that doesn't exist and gets stuck in a loop.

So basically the ads are right, it really does do everything. It's created a time paradox.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
thcrock
Global Admin

Post by thcrock »

As a programmer, this makes all of my mistakes seem so minor :)
daoster

Post by daoster »

Well, after a night of fearing for my Playstation's life, and some lost Heavy Rain trophies...I've finally beaten the game!

Here are some thoughts, spoiler free:
- The story kinda falls flat sometimes, but MAN oh MAN, some of the scenes are super intense...this is probably one of the few games that has you feeling almost what the characters are feeling...both physically AND emotionally, and in that regard, a job well done.
- A horror survival game using this type of engine would be perfect...
- Voice acting isn't as bad as some people made it out to be (except for the kids).

All in all, I will once again, say it again: Props to Sony for funding this game and releasing it world wide uncensored and all that good stuff. According to vchartz, the game has sold about 500,000 worldwide, and is the 2nd non-Japanese Sony game in recent memory to hit the top 10 in Japan (Uncharted 2 was the other).

Good stuff Sony and Quantic Dreams!
Last edited by daoster on Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
I tell the DJ what to play, I tell the MC what to say!
Like good music? Check out my podcast: http://www.musicaloccupation.com
RangerDeon

Post by RangerDeon »

Yeah, the voice acting wasn't as bad as people said it was.
I also didn't see the ending coming like most said they would.

I liked it.

"I wasn't getting rid of you. I want you to do whatever you want to do with me. I know that sounded dirty, and dirty things count, but I didn't mean the dirty things. You and me can hang whenever, wherever."
-Lorelai Gilmore
thcrock
Global Admin

Post by thcrock »

daoster wrote:Well, after a night of fearing for my Playstation's life, and some lost Heavy Rain trophies...I've finally beaten the game!

Here are some thoughts, spoiler free:
- The story kinda falls flat sometimes, but MAN oh MAN, some of the scenes are super intense...this is probably one of the few games that has you feeling almost what the characters are feeling...both physically AND emotionally, and in that regard, a job well done.
- A horror survival game using this type of engine would be perfect...
- Voice acting isn't as bad as some people made it out to be (except for the kids).

All in all, I will once again, say it again: Props to Sony for funding this game and releasing it world wide uncensored and all that good stuff. According to vchartz, the game has sold about 500,000 worldwide, and is the 2nd non-Japanese Sony game in recent memory to hit the top 10 in Japan (Uncharted 2 was the other).

Good stuff Sony and Quantic Dreams!
I've been pleasantly surprised by its sales too, even if we don't have any official numbers (vgchartz is notoriously incorrect) yet. Still, its easy to tell its doing well in each region, and hopefully financial success of this project will spur more high-budget adventure games (from any developer), and more projects from Quantic Dream. Purportedly QD has a two game deal with Sony, and David Cage has said that this will be the last crime thriller they'll make for a while. I'm interested to see what type of story they'll tackle next with this engine.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

I'm a bit disappointed with the ending(s) actually, cause they leave way too many dangling plot threads and some things just don't make sense. And for this kind of game, where they spend more time on the story than the actual game part I just expect it to fill in the holes a lot better.

I'd mention them but I don't want to spoil it for those that haven't completed it yet, but one example would be that Madison has the option of calling Jayden, even though they've never even passed by each other much less met.

Huh... now that I think about it it seems most of my problems with the game are related to Madison.
RangerDeon

Post by RangerDeon »

I realized it myself and she said that he's the only one she can trust. And I was like "HOW!?"

But! My friend mentioned that a lot of different things happened in her game thing mine (of course) so maybe they did actually meet. I don't know I'm gonna play again later and do things a lot different to see if they actually do.

-Lorelai Gilmore
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Gah that was intense.

*Trying to be vague but may be spoilers*
The Butterfly trial and to a lesser extent the salamander trails. Wow. I ended up "succeeding" but that was gruesome. I got totally lost in the subway thing though and "failed" that part. They don't give you enough direction on where to go. Not that failing it really matters. Also I messed up the clock shop thing, I forgot the second telephone dammit. I wonder what would have happened if I remembered everything. And the thing with the doctor was intense although I did escape I was totally expecting not to.
Oh and I just choose to fail the shark trail. That's where I draw the line.
*end maybe spoilers*

I was wired after all that and had to go to bed. But, I just lay there for like 2 hours until I finally calmed down enough to sleep.
thcrock
Global Admin

Post by thcrock »

Yeah, once the story got going, I had a hard time finding places to stop where I knew I could calm myself enough to sleep. Luckily, I ended up finishing it in three (rather lengthy) play sessions.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Also I messed up the clock shop thing, I forgot the second telephone dammit. I wonder what would have happened if I remembered everything.
Nothing, the game just skips the scene in the police station. One of the trophies requires that you do it successfully though.
Oh and I just choose to fail the shark trail. That's where I draw the line.
That was another thing that bugged me. Even if you complete it successfully, no one ever mentions it again. No repercussions.

And he left a lot DNA behind when you do it so it's not like he'd be able to actually get away with it. They just never bring it up. Yeah maybe it could be justified given the situation, but to not even mention it?
RangerDeon

Post by RangerDeon »

I made it out of the subway. I don't know how I just...did.
I did not like the trials. I had the biggest and saddest frown during the first three. I felt bad.

The whole clock thing...I I don't know what i forgot but I got caught myself. OH! It was the door handle. My brother and I were like "But....anyone could touch a door handle!"

Now, remind me about this "shark"? I don't remember it.

-Lorelai Gilmore
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

The shark's the thing with the drug dealer who has kids.
RangerDeon

Post by RangerDeon »

oh!

I didn't do that one. I couldn't. :/

-Lorelai Gilmore