Heavy Rain *spoilers*

A forum for non-Suikoden games.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Re: Heavy Rain

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Meh. You have to complete some stupid contest in Home or something to get the damn demo. Seriously, I'm supposed to make an effort to even get to try your game to see if I like it? I already don't like it.

Though it will be made available for everyone on the PSN tomorrow, but that move was really stupid. Next they'll start charging money for demos.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
thcrock
Global Admin

Post by thcrock »

Raww Le Klueze wrote:Meh. You have to complete some stupid contest in Home or something to get the damn demo. Seriously, I'm supposed to make an effort to even get to try your game to see if I like it? I already don't like it.

Though it will be made available for everyone on the PSN tomorrow, but that move was really stupid. Next they'll start charging money for demos.
I hope that's a joke. Qore (paid PSN news magazine) has come with timed-exclusive demos since its inception a year and a half ago. It kind of sucks, but at least there's never been a completely exclusive demo, to my knowledge. Getting demos early is just a perk for subscribing, I guess.
daoster

Post by daoster »

You had to do some quick clue hunting on a website, and the answers were posted on Kotaku...it was for the European PSNs, and I didn't know it was coming out tomorrow for the US PSN...I would have waited, lol.

You guys should try it out for sure!
I tell the DJ what to play, I tell the MC what to say!
Like good music? Check out my podcast: http://www.musicaloccupation.com
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

So, most should have tried the demo now.

My thoughts, the bad:

* Walking is awkward and there's no precision to it.
* For those of us with a normal TV O and square look very similair making some dialouge choices come out wrong.
* QTE's appear to be fairly pointless, as in you don't really need to finish them all or even most of them.

The good:

* Maintains a good illusion of choices.
* Characters are very nicely done even if not all objects are.
* Story appears to be interesting and not the spaced out type like Fahrenheit.

The so-so:

* Voice acting seems to be hit and miss with 50% average.
* High-tech sunglasses... really..?
thcrock
Global Admin

Post by thcrock »

I'll get to try this out tonight. I started downloading it last night but it took longer than three hours, so it finished overnight.

I'm glad I have an HDTV, even though its a cheap one (Vizio 32 inch, got it for $450 a year and a half ago, now there's ones of comparable quality for $300 and probably less) - I've had text reading problems with some PS3 games on SDTVs. Buzz Quiz TV is borderline unplayable on an SDTV. I'm hoping I won't have that problem with O and square.
RangerDeon

Post by RangerDeon »

I enjoyed it.

I love a good detective game.
The controls were a little bothersome at first, but I'll use the demo to practice before the real thing.

Only real problem I had was when shaking the controller...I couldn't get that to work to save my life :/ I kept doing it wrong.

"I wasn't getting rid of you. I want you to do whatever you want to do with me. I know that sounded dirty, and dirty things count, but I didn't mean the dirty things. You and me can hang whenever, wherever."
-Lorelai Gilmore
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

It's a nice concept for a game and all, but i can't bring myself to play it.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

I played the demo. Looks good. Should be coming out tomorrow I think? I'll just wait until the pre order people call me.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Interesting. They sent out the preorder redemption codes a few days before the game is released, even though you can't play it without the disc...
RangerDeon

Post by RangerDeon »

Oppenheimer wrote:I played the demo. Looks good. Should be coming out tomorrow I think? I'll just wait until the pre order people call me.
Yes. Tomorrow I hope.
I'm gonna get it then call in sick! :D
kidding. I wish.

"I wasn't getting rid of you. I want you to do whatever you want to do with me. I know that sounded dirty, and dirty things count, but I didn't mean the dirty things. You and me can hang whenever, wherever."
-Lorelai Gilmore
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Well... that was a bit short. Though I suppose the appeal comes from replays? It was a decent whodunnit, I did figure it out before the actual reveal but not by much.

Anyone else experiencing severe screen tearing and frame rate issues, especially in the police department areas? Well, the credits have them too which was something of a surprise. It's kinda like watching an old movie reel with half the frames cut out.

Also... am I crazy or do all the children sound like there's something wrong with them?

Holy crap is the Taxidermist DLC creepy. Though I died I blame it on these damn QTE that involves shaking the controller. Haven't we learned that the Sixaxis just doesn't work?
thcrock
Global Admin

Post by thcrock »

My only problem with QTE fight scenes has been related to the analog stick ones that require you to move to the side before going up/down. If I have to do one of those quickly, I often screw it up.

Screen tearing and framerate issues: yes. Also, some camera issues which I didn't see in the scenes in the demo. The actual controls aren't tough for me, but when they suddenly change the camera on you, all of a sudden you're going the wrong way.

The children sound fine to me. I've never met a nine/ten year old who was articulate. If I was to complain about voice acting, it would be Ethan and Norman.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

There's one thing I can't figure out. I can do the whole Highway sequence perfectly, but when I come to the last event which is to press O I always fail it. Am I missing something? Am I supposed to be holding it down or tapping it repeatedly? Which so much going on the screen I only manage to register that it say O.

Also, is it just me or did Madison really just come in out of the blue in the story? I only knew she was a reporter cause I had read it in a review. The first thing that happens with her is the shower scene, then the strange QTE scene and suddenly I'm expected to know who she is? Is there some optional exposition going on somewhere? The other characters get introduced well enough to grasp their concept.
thcrock
Global Admin

Post by thcrock »

I don't remember how I ended the highway section. There have been a few times where I mistook a 'mash the button' prompt for a 'hold the button' prompt or vice-versa. They really could have added some more contrast to those prompts.

I agree with you on Madison.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

I just played the first few levels. I just finished the park scene. So far I haven't seen this Madison at all so I'm guessing it'll be strange when I do. She's like front and center on the box art too . . .

My Taxidermist code isn't working, the lady at the store said it wouldn't work until March something. You got yours to work already?

I'm really enjoying it so far. Too bad I hate kids or else it'd ring even more true. Currently I feel like saying
*spoiler*

I told him to stop wandering off and I said "no stop". Not my fault! *end spoilers*