Final Fantasy XIII

A forum for non-Suikoden games.
StalkerPizza

Final Fantasy XIII

Post by StalkerPizza »

I'm so excited for this game. Yes, I know Final Fantasy is the over-hyped game of the century, but this one looks so awesome! It looks like it will be a MAJOR improvement from XII. They even fixed the awkward shuffling movement and attacks don't look so bland.
Who else is excited?

There is going to be a demo of XIII in the June 2nd release of the Advent Children Complete, I can't wait! ROFL
Last edited by StalkerPizza on Sun May 17, 2009 11:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
The silent voice within one's heart whispers the most profound wisdom
-Nyx Avatar from Persona 3-
Icegryphon
Banned User

Re: Final Fantasy XIII

Post by Icegryphon »

Not I. Haven't played a FF since X. Except for the remakes and ports of FFIII, IV, V and VI.
"You got whacked because you're weak." - Magus
Blutiger Engel

Post by Blutiger Engel »

I'd be excited if it weren't on PS3... since I don't have $600+ to blow :(

Also, I'm sure I could easily look this up, but is the battle system anything like XII's? I couldn't get through XII because it felt like a lonely MMO with no friends/guild.
StalkerPizza

Post by StalkerPizza »

Similarities
You can only control one character at a time, your allies follow behind you on the map, looks like only three characters can accompany you at a time, there is no designated black/white/red mage, ATB.

Differences
You dont get to customize the AI (I think), the game sorta takes care of movement during battle, MP is replaced by Cost Points which determines how much a command can be used per turn, Multiple commands can be chosen per turn (Example: Attack, Blizzard, Fire) and released to make a combo, and also I read somewhere that magic can't be used outside of battle so HP is completely restored after each battle.
The silent voice within one's heart whispers the most profound wisdom
-Nyx Avatar from Persona 3-
Blutiger Engel

Post by Blutiger Engel »

Thanks for the explanation! As a traditional RPG lover, that doesn't sound very appealing to me, though. I did Wiki the game and found it funny that there will be a character named Snow and another guy who has a baby chocobo in his afro! Hopefully the story is good, but if I dislike the battle system I have a hard time sticking with a game.
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

The game looks far more like it plays in a similar fashion to Chrono Trigger mixed with White Knight Chronicles rather than FFXII.

From what I saw, the game's pretty impressive from a graphical point of view, but the setting from the one hour demo just doesn't interest me.
Formerly known as: Gothann
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Final Fantasy is the very first FF game I couldn't bring myself to finish. I even played FFX-2 to completion. But I don't like much of anything about FFXII. The characters aren't that interesting. The battle system is much to much like a MMORPG. I don't like the gambit system. I don't like how there are no designated classes. etc etc

So anyway, I didn't know this getting into it as I bought it right away. I had been waiting so long since FFX origionally came out that I was eager for it. But, I don't think I'm going to buy FFXIII right away, if ever. I may just wait until its $19.99 used. The video from the PSN didn't seem all that interesting to me either.

I guess I'm just more old school with RPGs based on the fact I've replayed FFIV DS several times and loved it far more than my part of the way through FFXII.
Blutiger Engel

Post by Blutiger Engel »

Oppenheimer wrote:Final Fantasy is the very first FF game I couldn't bring myself to finish. I even played FFX-2 to completion. But I don't like much of anything about FFXII. The characters aren't that interesting. The battle system is much to much like a MMORPG. I don't like the gambit system. I don't like how there are no designated classes. etc etc

So anyway, I didn't know this getting into it as I bought it right away. I had been waiting so long since FFX origionally came out that I was eager for it. But, I don't think I'm going to buy FFXIII right away, if ever. I may just wait until its $19.99 used. The video from the PSN didn't seem all that interesting to me either.

I guess I'm just more old school with RPGs based on the fact I've replayed FFIV DS several times and loved it far more than my part of the way through FFXII.
Same here, a year ago I intended to finish XII (2nd attempt) and got slightly farther than I did the first time... but then abandoned it for Suiko II. I hated the fact that you had to pay for magic/skills not only with the very hard earned money, but also points. Just way too much grinding involved. Only char I liked was Balthier (sp?) but not enough to drive me to finish. Old school RPGs ftw.
RangerDeon

Post by RangerDeon »

StalkerPizza wrote:Similarities
You can only control one character at a time, your allies follow behind you on the map, looks like only three characters can accompany you at a time, there is no designated black/white/red mage, ATB.
When you say 'control one character at a time, do you mean while walking the filed or while in battle?
Because according to the people at gameinformer, they say that controlling only one person at a time was to simplify the demo. They give you the option of controlling the three or just one at a time.

I'm hoping that -- since they don't have any designated classes -- they give you more freedom to make people into what you want to make them.

The problem I had with FF12's license board was that in order to give someone arcane magic, I had to give them a certain black magic to make that arcane magic available. So I hope, if I want Character1 to have thunder but not fire, that I can do that without fail.

But before I do all of this or even think about doing all of this. . .I . . I need to get my PS3 fixed /cries

"I wasn't getting rid of you. I want you to do whatever you want to do with me. I know that sounded dirty, and dirty things count, but I didn't mean the dirty things. You and me can hang whenever, wherever."
-Lorelai Gilmore
Noraibah
Banned User
Location: Kuala Lumpur[ Kota Kinabalu, Sabah ],Wilayah Perseketuan,Malaysia

Post by Noraibah »

I liked FF XII so much that my brother thought that I was being obssesive.I can't play FF XIII because it is going to be really costly buying a PS3 and FF XIII.
I love this forum............to death.I think dying is normal.Just ignore me!
RangerDeon

Post by RangerDeon »

Heck yeah! Another FFXII fan!

All of my friends are in hate with this game and I have yet to see why. I love it.

"I wasn't getting rid of you. I want you to do whatever you want to do with me. I know that sounded dirty, and dirty things count, but I didn't mean the dirty things. You and me can hang whenever, wherever."
-Lorelai Gilmore
Captain Tenneal

Post by Captain Tenneal »

Isn't FFXIII being released on Xbox 360? Also PS3 is due for a price cut again soon.

Recently I finished FFX. I thought the story was really good until shortly after the midpoint of the game. About 40 hours in the bosses started getting too hardcore for my own good. Also, the final bosses (jeez, I think there were like 12 "final" fights at the end, with bizarre places that made no sense) were really monotonous. I ended up using my code breaker. I think in the end I just felt frustrated and disappointed.

Hopefully 12 (which I have) and 13 are better.
Blutiger Engel

Post by Blutiger Engel »

I thought X was WAY better than XII. Despite X having way too many cutscenes (a problem that XII also has), I enjoyed it's traditional RPG battle system over XII's pseudo-mmo style system. Honestly, if it weren't for XII's battle system, I probably would have endured the boring story and finished it anyway. The battle system makes or breaks an RPG for me.
Captain Tenneal

Post by Captain Tenneal »

I don't mind the cut scenes, even if there are a lot. In fact, those were probably my favorite parts of X. Heh, I keep hearing about how unremarkable XII's story is, that doesn't bode well ...

For battle systems, some interesting things have been going through my mind lately. I really play RPGs for the story and to see characters that I like progress and change, either for good or bad. I'm always rushing through the battles just to get to the next story piece or character interaction, and while I like exploring, the random battles can take away from that. For me, it's a time issue. Many of these RPGs are crazy long, I think I spent almost 90 hours on Suikoden III, for example. I spent about 56 on FFX (only because I used code breaker at the end, probably would have been around 75 otherwise). A lot of time is sapped by random battles that could be avoided in the first place, or turn based battles that take much longer then they should. I thought Fallout 3's system was really intriguing, where you can see enemies and pause to make battle decisions, or it can be done in real time. When I played the FFXII demo I didn't mind the battle system, it was kinda refreshing after doing turn based for 14 years :lol: Also, I figure in the time it takes me to complete one of these games, I could read about 15 to 20 fantasy books, probably with better stories/characters, haha. But we all know it's not the same, right? Or is it? Heh, now I'm rambling, but that concludes my pseudo-rant about this stuff.
Blutiger Engel

Post by Blutiger Engel »

XII's story is pretty unremarkable imo due to young, interesting main characters (I did like Balthier, but not enough to make me want to finish the game and see what happens to him. I get the feeling that he's a flat character anyway, though I could be wrong since I haven't looked up a plot summary) and well, just a pretty weak plot overall. The lack of an interesting main character and annoying female counterpart are a big con.

Ouch, if you spent that much time on SuikoIII, then prepare to spend a way longer time with XII. The towns are huge and it's easy to waste a lot of time getting lost, and the grinding needed to get money to buy supplies, armor, weapons, gambits, magic and techniques (yes, you have to buy all of those things) is insane. Not just that, but hardly any gil drops anyway and it takes forever to make money. It's really just unnecessarily annoying. Give it a try though, a lot of people seem to like it anyway. I personally have tried twice and have no motivation to keep going.