Final Fantasy IV DS

A forum for non-Suikoden games.
Blutiger Engel

Re: Final Fantasy IV DS

Post by Blutiger Engel »

There was a GBA version of IV? I must have been asleep under a rock when that came out! Having not played it, I can't make that comparison, but I like the rebalanced enemy count in the DS version. I remember feeling overwhelmed playing the PS version by all of the random battles. I never ran from them and I still had trouble near the end of the game. The DS version is more manageable and fun since I'm not getting as frustrated.
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

That's pretty much what I meant by my not being too happy about those changes. HardType (Regular Japanese version, same one that was ported to PSOne) was all about being overwhelmed by strong enemies with large numbers. Made you learn to prioritize attacks and take advantage of every single status effect and elemental weakness of enemies.

As for the GBA version, it was a very crappy enhanced port. Its ATB system was badly programmed (to the point where it was broken) and the game's graphics were actually a sprite swap rather than an actual enhancement to the graphics.
It did, however, have three things I had been wanting for years:
- More (unofficial) character development.
- EasyType's Zeromus (the one they used to create Zeromus in Final Fantasy XII).
- CHARACTER SWAPPING.

Augments are great and all, but actually using the characters those abilities were made for was even better. Made it feel so good to use Palom, Porom, Yang, and Edward (!!!) to kick Zeromus' ass... and have it actually be easier that way.

It's also one of the design changes I deplore between FFIVA and FFIVDS. They gave us a feature I consider far superior in a clearly inferior port.
Formerly known as: Gothann
EternalOnslaught

Post by EternalOnslaught »

I own FFIV on the DS, I enjoy the graphics for it and what not. The augments are actually very helpful if you know what character to use it on. For instance, I use the twin cast augment on Cecil and Rose, 80% of the time they cast Ultima when they use twin cast. Which every time it gets 9999 points of damage. That was just one example.
Sandalphon - Senso Suikoden
Belcoot4

Post by Belcoot4 »

The best augment is the Limit Break. Throw that on Kain, take away his attack ability (unless your in the final moon cave, skeletons weak against his last weapon), and just have him constantly jump. I think I reached about 20,000 damage with that.
"Even the dead reveal their secrets to me." Yuber

"I have not lived long enough to become a myth." Chris Lightfellow

"They betrayed us and fled. Cowards." Zegai