Enchanted Arms *spoilers*

A forum for non-Suikoden games.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Enchanted Arms *spoilers*

Post by Oppenheimer »

So I had heard moderately good things about this game when it first came out ages ago and now it was reduced to $24.99CAD used at my local EB games. So I scooped it up. I couldn’t remember why it was on my "buy when cheap" list until I started playing it. It's because of Makoto! As he's one of the very very few openly gay characters in a video game. It's not even hinted, it's just out there. Well, being gay myself, I was oh so thrilled to be able to actually have myself represented in a video game. You have no idea how tiring it is having to superimpose a man's face on all the women in the straight love plots :P

Oddly when I went to buy the game, the guy at EB tried to talk me out of buying it! I've never had that happen before. He's seen me there plenty of times and knows I have good taste so I guess that's why, but still, he's there to sell the games. He said that it was overrated and he said that if I hated it and brought it back within 7 days he'd exchange it for something else like Eternal Sonata (apparently they allow exchanges due to "not liking it" for used games within a week).

So anyway, I knew I had to play a lot of it to see if I like it within a week as that's not much time for a roleplaying game. But I'm happy to say that I'm very much enjoying it so far. Although Makoto is a total stereotype I am very happy with how he is so openly gay and no one else bats an eye at it. In the world of Enchanted Arms it's not a big deal. Anyone who doesn't like Makoto does so because he's somewhat rude, not because he's gay. Even Toya doesn't seem to mind that Makoto has a huge crush on him (although he doesn't appear to reciprocate).

But, last night something horrible happened! *spoilers!!* Both Toya and Makoto got their asses handed to them by the Queen of Ice. Now I knew Toya wouldn't survive he was way too perfect and nice to last very long in a RPG, but *gasp* Makoto!

So I wasn't 100% sure if I wanted to continue playing or return it now that he's not in it anymore. But I read online that there's some mysterious gentleman who is actually Makoto in disguise. Although that kind of ruins the surprise for me I think it gives me enough reason to keep playing it to see that guy.

Other than that I enjoy the golem system, I like how they can't equip weapons or new skills but do get exp just for being in your reserves. It makes it so that I don't feel bad about using them or disposing of them when they've become out classed.

Also, I like the vitality system, it makes you switch up your party in long dungeons and makes it so that you don't have to do menu healing that Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest are so famous for.

So did anyone else enjoying playing this game and did they enjoy it?
Icegryphon
Banned User

Re: Enchanted Arms *spoilers*

Post by Icegryphon »

The two actually died in the story when they got their "asses handed to them by the queen of ice"?
"You got whacked because you're weak." - Magus
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Well, I'm not at the part of the story where the protagonist would find that out.

But, I'm thinking no. From the research I did they come back in the end, but it appears as if they're never party members again except for a scripted battle.
Icegryphon
Banned User

Post by Icegryphon »

That's interesting. So they leave the party? I like games like that. I don't like games where you either a) get a bunch of party members and most of them chill at your home base (except suikoden cause it makes sense and it's so easy to level up lower level guys to your main character's level) or b) you get a full group and just have that group for the entire game.

That's why I love FFIV and Phantasy Star IV so much. In both of those games you only have the members of your current party and people are constantly dying and/or leaving your group. Both great games.

So tell me about this Enchanted Arms game. It sounds familiar (the name) and for some reason I think I might have looked into getting it at some point. Is that the one with the huge tower you go into over and over and each time you start over? Or is that another one?
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

No tower that I'm aware of. Here's some more info on it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enchanted_Arms

I'm actually not a big fan of arbitrarily losing party members. I enjoy games where you get to pick your own party out of a group, like Suikoden. I'm saddened by the fact that I can't play as Makoto throughout the entire game. But, I suppose it does lend itself to being more dramatic this way.
Icegryphon
Banned User

Post by Icegryphon »

I like change and story. So for instance, in FFIV Tellah dies, Kain keeps betraying you, Fusoya takes off to do other stuff. I like all of that. I just like change.

The problem I have with having so many chars to choose from is that usually there are a bunch of characters that have the same kinda stats...or some rad guy who has lower stats than someone who looks stupid.
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

Enchanted Arms is a gem amongst the RPG's on 360 and PS3, the only thing i hate about it is the encounter rate, ridiciously many enemies you can fight in the matter of a short hallway.

It's a very good game tho, try it out if you can.
RangerDeon

Post by RangerDeon »

I didn't get very far in the game.
Did you find it as hilarious as I did at the fact that he sings when doing a move?

I do hate that they were taken away...I was pisssed.
I did love how he was basically openly gay and no one had a problem with it. His attraction to Toya was hilarious...but typical. Also, The main guy's love for them both was cool. I liked that.

If you're still playing it I don't want to ruin it for you but:

SPOILERS
(highlight if you want to read)
(They didn't die, Toya is under her spell, but i think that jerk was evil all along anyway...and as for Makato...I strongly believe he's that blond who saved you. But what happened to his flamboyant personality? I always figured he lost it when he lost himself after the attack..and maybe he lost his memory and his personality went with it? I dunno....I never got to actually finish the game to find out if it was him.....)

But i never beat it...I got soooo annoyed with the encounter rate and the fact that some bosses were too complicated (I know, challenge ...but COME ON!)...and the main reason why I didn't finish it was because I lent it to a friend who never returned it...

"I wasn't getting rid of you. I want you to do whatever you want to do with me. I know that sounded dirty, and dirty things count, but I didn't mean the dirty things. You and me can hang whenever, wherever."
-Lorelai Gilmore
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

An eye for an eye my friend, when he gets a game he's been waiting to play, you take it hostage!
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

I did finish it in the end. I was glad it was over and wouldn't replay it. I didn't bother the extra dungeon or the side beasts but it was worth it go through once and I'm glad I did. There was a bit more in the end with Makato.
*end game spoilers*

he was indeed the blond guy. He was faking his lack of accent. According to him he wouldn't have been the damsel in distress for Toya to save if he had to do all the things he did while playing the Mysterious Man without being in costume. This way he can still preserve the illusion of being helpless and hanging off Toya, but still help save the day. An interesting idea to be sure.
I also like how he gets to kiss Toya in the end, although Toya protests it's nice to see Akuma help him hold Toya down.
RangerDeon

Post by RangerDeon »

haha are you serious!? That's what happened!?

That's so funny!

"I wasn't getting rid of you. I want you to do whatever you want to do with me. I know that sounded dirty, and dirty things count, but I didn't mean the dirty things. You and me can hang whenever, wherever."
-Lorelai Gilmore
avenger

Post by avenger »

i've never played this game.. when i saw it being previewed, i didn't care too much for it.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

I'll grant it doesn't give a very good first impression, it was an early current gen game before they got the coding down.

It's also very Japanese in mindset.
avenger

Post by avenger »

since you all have discussed this game , do you think it is worth a rent?
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

I would say it's worth a rent, yeah.