Wild Arm series

A forum for non-Suikoden games.
Janoosen

Re: Wild Arm series

Post by Janoosen »

I usually don't post in old threads due to people having raged at me in the past on other forums for "reviving" old threads but this is a must since I love Wild Arms.

I loved the first one since it was the one that got me hooked on RPGs. The second was alright, but not a game I'd play through again. I loved 3 too. I absolutely despised 4, the story was not appealing at all, I hated the characters and I didn't like the battle system. The only two that made it barely bearable to play through it was Arnaud and Raquel, but that's my opinion. AlterCode: F was absolutely amazing, I had always wanted to see what it would look like on the PS2 and got my wish, loved every second of it. Didn't like 5 too much but mainly because it used the HEX system from 4, otherwise I found it quite appealing. At least it was more engaging than 4.

I definitely want to see a 6 at some point, so long as they don't use the HEX system again.
Freak

Post by Freak »

I thought that Arnaud and Raquel were pretty likeable. They were the only reason I kept playing the game and enjoyed it more than Wild Arms 5 (which admittedly isn't saying much). In Wild Arms 5, the cameos were the only characters I liked. Carol was particularly terrible.
Alter Code F is great, yes. The only bad thing about the localization and that there is no PAL version. :(
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

I suppose having no experience with the earlier games made it easier for me to enjoy Wild Arms 5. It's the only one out of the entire series where I've completed from end to end. I gave the first game and Alter Code F a try, and that didn't get anywhere. I tried Wild Arms 4 as well, but the bugged bit about monsters being removed turned me off.

That said, Janoosen, don't worry about reviving old threads here. Here it's more welcome to reuse an old topic, as opposed to creating new ones about the same subjects.
Celes
Global Admin

Post by Celes »

Adored Wild Arms 1 and 2 (PS) to the bones, due to its cute graphics and numberous sidequests, Never played any later titles, aside from Wild Arms: Alter Code F lately, which turns out to be a great remake for me.
lordyuanshu

Post by lordyuanshu »

Played through Wild ARMs 1 and 5. Always wanted to try 2 but haven't gotten to it and couldn't find it when I was younger.

Wild ARMs 1 was great. For whatever reason, a lot of those pre-FF7 era PSX RPG's I just can't get enough of. Vandal Hearts, Suikoden I, Persona I, Wild ARMs 1, even Beyond the Beyond...anyway. Wild ARMs had a great world map, reasonable challenge (some of those Boomerang battles are nasty), great extras at the end of the game. Ragu Ragula in the Abyss was a hell of a challenge.

Not a big fan of 5. Dean kind of reminds me of the Hero from Tierkreis with his cheesy sayings that get old 1 hour into the game. Someone said Carol, I forgot about her because I never used her...wow, she was a terrible character. Saving grace for the game are the cameos (like someone else mentioned) and all the end-game stuff. The four secret dungeons were tough (again the Raguragula battle is a wild ride in this one too).

Kind of like Suikoden, I think they disbanded the WA team? Not sure though. It was a solid series. One of many where I enjoy the earlier games far more than the newer ones (like the Suikoden's, FF's, Dragon Quests, etc).
EternalOnslaught

Post by EternalOnslaught »

Lost my interest in the series after the third one. Though I would really love to pick up the Wild Arms 1 remake that was released on the PS2. Unfortunately my PS2 is dead. Te only console I've been playing lately is the 360 and I know for a fact that a Wild Arms game will never make it on a console that isn't Sony owned. Oh well.
Sandalphon - Senso Suikoden
Freak

Post by Freak »

Did anyone play Wild Arms XF? It is a tactics RPG kind of like Final Fantasy Tactics, but with more puzzle elements. I found it pretty challenging and fun.
The plot starts off kind of Suikoden-ish (you start a rebellion against an evil government, bla bla-you even get a tactician), which seems a bit out of place in the Wild ARMS series. The game gets more of a Filgaia feel later though, and I actually like the cast.
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

I only played WA 3 and 4 and loved them just as much as I love the Xenosaga trilogy
My GameFAQs account now is SheenavsKilley
I already closed gildedtalon, my old account
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

I just played WA 5, it's crap compared to WA 3 and 4
My GameFAQs account now is SheenavsKilley
I already closed gildedtalon, my old account
Swordsman

Post by Swordsman »

Can't remember.. think i Played Wild Arms 1, the reboot, Wild arms 2 and 3..