Shailah?

Ask questions about the events and characters related to Suikoden Tierkreis here.
Kadrom

Shailah?

Post by Kadrom »

Is it just me, or did they record the voice acting for this game before they decided on some of the name translations? They keep referring to the Empress Consorts with L's in their names that are not there. :shock:

Sorry if this has been posted before but I thought I was just hearing things at first..
LanceHeart

Re: Shailah?

Post by LanceHeart »

It's entirely possible. We had English voiced trailers pop up before the game was even announced in Japan, which was still pretty early in localization development. The inconsistencies between what people say and how names are pronounced could definitely be attributed to an early dubbing.
Formerly known as: Gothann
Runemaster

Post by Runemaster »

May I ask if "Diadora" is really pronounced "Deedra"?
I will bring Lordlake's fate... to the entire Suikoden World! weeeeeeh!
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

More like Deirdre.

Sadly I actually prefer these to misprononcing foreign names, like in the case of Georg Prime in Suikoden V.
Runemaster

Post by Runemaster »

Mispronouncing Georg Prime?
I will bring Lordlake's fate... to the entire Suikoden World! weeeeeeh!
Matt620

Post by Matt620 »

Well, you can pronounce Georg as "George" or "Gay-oorg"

The consorts all had weird translations. I didn't mind Kureyah's as "Claire" and Shiarah's as "Shailah" was okay, but Rizwan as "Lizlan" bothered me.
-M
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

As far as phonetic spelling is concerned, it was supposed to be ゲオルグ プライム. Nowhere was it meant to be pronounced as "George", except for Suikoden V's localization team.

The extra "o" sound in the pronunciation of Macoute's name irk me to no end though, but I guess it's a reasonable trade-off in capturing the intent of the ones naming these characters.
Kadrom

Post by Kadrom »

Another strange localization thing I noticed..

When you take Hotupa to open the Grayridge gateway to recruit Lubberkin, he talks like a cowboy. He says reckon half a dozen times and even goes so far as to exclaim "Sakes alive!" In no other scene in the game does he do this. Where the hell did that come from?