Hick Hero

Ask questions about the events and characters related to Suikoden Tierkreis here.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Hick Hero

Post by Oppenheimer »

Does anyone else find it offensive that the protagonist is obviously being portrayed as a corn fed hick? With his dropped "g"s and his "ya", "ain't" and constant use of "huh?"? I find it very difficult to work with him as not only is his voice acting bad his character is equally annoying. I'm an English Major so his butchering of the English Language is not helping.

I understand that it's done on purpose in that he's from a small village. But still, it seems excessive. There are plenty of likable characters who can actually speak coherently in the game but to have the main character not be one of them, it's a bit much.
LanceHeart

Re: Hick Hero

Post by LanceHeart »

It's not that he speaks that way that gets to me, it's that neither Jale, Marica, Liu, or even Dirk speak that way. Since Hero's supposed to have been raised as a very small child by Sisuca, you'd think she would've knocked some speaking sense into him.
Formerly known as: Gothann
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Yes, that's a good point. So apparently it can't even be contributed to where he grew up if the others don't speak that way.

And since he becomes a leader of your army I don't understand why they insist on making him the stupidest. I would never make him a leader of anything. The only reason he seems to be the front man is because he charges ahead of everyone else foolishly.
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

One could say that this, along with a lot of other issues, is pretty much a corruption of the original intent of the characters in the main series. In Suikoden 1 through 4, you're an unlikely hero of a resistance group. In Suikoden Tierkreis, you're basically a person who miraculously became hero because nobody else seemed to want the job.

There are quite a few other things I've noticed that are either oversimplifications of staples in the Suikoden franchise and/or complete corruptions of their meaning. I'll have a post up soon that'll compile the one's I've seen.
seventhsage

Post by seventhsage »

This is the first suikoden game I found myself laughing at because the logic was just so pathetic. Among your team you have:
  • the advisor, prince, and princess of the magedom.
    the leader of the knights of blades viel, who is also a princess/queen of a kingdom.
    the leader of the furious roar, a tribal leader who's lead a tribe of warriors for years.
    the leader of the magedom mage academy forces.
    the queen of the porpos-kin.
    The leader, best warriors, and spiritual figurehead of the auster folk...
Who do they put in charge?

the kid who grew up in a village with little combat training, absolutely no strategy, and all the subtlety of a dog begging for food. Gotta agree with dirk here, if it wasn't for the books, he'd be noting but over-eager cannon fodder.
*Liu*

Post by *Liu* »

i have to disagree. The hero coming from a little village, dont mean anything. If thats the case, it ilogical too that someone like Hugo can comand a group like the Fire Bringer (Zexen, Harmonia, Camaro).

I remember Odessa saying to Tir something about the only fact that can made him a leader, is the fact he have a energy that attract others, and not because he's the son of Teo McDohl.

The Hero from Tierkreis must have the same energy that attract people around him and i think if Crodechild, Shams or anyone else was in charge, they not succeeded in join the people to fight the order.
Sorry for my bad english people....
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

The power to naturally attract people to the hero is actually the main effect of the Tenkai Star. Other stars are drawn to fight alongside him while non-stars admire him and fight for him.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Reminds me of Thomas, who wasn't much a recognised fighter, but still there to inspire people of different background to come together and fight for a common cause. Except, instead of separating a "Flame Champion" figure from the "unifying figure" like Suikoden III, they combined the two distinct elements into the Tenkai here for a wholesome non-TSS experience.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

To me it appears as if his ability to charm others is based entirely upon plot contrivance. They all seem to find his brainless enthusiasm charming for whatever reason. My point is that I find this hard to believe. Clearly the plot is pushing him forward as everyone liking him, but short of saying that his position as Tenkai has a magic hypnotic power that is overwhelming other people's judgement I cannot understand how all 107 stars could be enamoured with such a dim witted kid. There was one blade who hit it right on the head, he called the Hero Haysack or something like that, I can't remember his name Georgish or something like that. I was so excited to finally see someone acknowledge that the hero seems a bit . . . slow. But it didn't take long for the Hero's brute strength to impress that blade, which again seemed to be to be unrealistic.

Thomas was shy but he was in no way unintelligent. My criticism is brain power. I would be all for a shy bookish hero again like Thomas.
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

As I said, being the Tenkai's "host" means you're the leader. Considering how people as vastly different as Atrie and alter-Marica are the Tenkai Stars of their own worlds and how a great many other Tenkai Stars fell to the One King, one could say that being a Tenkai just means you're given some sort of charming powers in the multiverse of Tierkreis.

I'd say this adds to what I was talking about earlier in the thread: Tierkreis corrupted the original intent of certain plot points from the original series. In the originals, the stars were more of a symbolic reference to the personality and storyline any given SoD would have. In Tierkreis, it seems the stars are the ones who choose their hosts once they feel the timing is right (see Mubal's sudden elevation to Star of Destiny status and many other people magically becoming Stars of Destiny once they changed their minds and joined Hero).

Note how very few non stars join the Hero. From what I can see, Tierkreis elevated the status of being a Star of Destiny to the point where you're basically an overpowered hero instead of a destiny-bound human.
ScionOfYesterday

Post by ScionOfYesterday »

This main character has been given the most personality of any protagonist thus far. He most resembles Hugo in temperament though...and I attribute much of his speech to his age and immaturity. Thus he is a mediocre main character but hey at least he's cooler then Kyril.