General Plot discussion...

Ask questions about the events and characters related to Suikoden Tierkreis here.
Role

General Plot discussion...

Post by Role »

Okay, so I'm not THAT far it... I've just gotten to the part where you get the fifth mark of the stars (if you've gotten there, you know what I'm talking about. If not, get there. I'm not dishing out spoilers) and... WOW... just... wow... It actually HURT to watch... I almost cried... I'm really loving this plot! I mean, it started out simple enough (with a really simple minded hero, not that that's a bad thing!), but it's keeping me hooked. For all the whining about the "gameplay" not being like most Suikoden games, apparently we all forgot to take a look at the plot.

So then, what is everyone else's opinion on the plot, at least to the point where you're at. Do you like it? Dislike it? Did you cry?
patapi
Forum Moderator

Re: General Plot discussion...

Post by patapi »

It's kinda tough to discuss the plot without including spoilers, but I'd say if you've gotten to unlocking the fifth marks, the worst is yet to come.

Personally, I think they could have so much more with the Magedom after we broke the alliance.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Role wrote:For all the whining about the "gameplay" not being like most Suikoden games, apparently we all forgot to take a look at the plot.
No. Rather than the usual politcally motivated story we get a sub-par FF-trite story and once you beat the game you will know that the main antagonist has neither motive, background or explenation.
Did you cry
Yes, but only because of the raping they did to the series.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
Role

Post by Role »

Raww Le Klueze wrote:
Role wrote:For all the whining about the "gameplay" not being like most Suikoden games, apparently we all forgot to take a look at the plot.
No. Rather than the usual politcally motivated story we get a sub-par FF-trite story and once you beat the game you will know that the main antagonist has neither motive, background or explenation.
Did you cry
Yes, but only because of the raping they did to the series.
Wow, with an extreme bias like that, I have a funny feeling you never actually played the game...
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Trust me, he did. Some of us derive a lot of fun from doing and experiencing things that we don't enjoy.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Role wrote:Wow, with an extreme bias like that, I have a funny feeling you never actually played the game...
I can say the same for you. You're extreme bias for the game shows you probably never actually played the game...

Unlike you I actually know what I'm talking about, I've played and actually finished the game with all 108 Stars. Why? Cause if I hadn't some dimwit would just try to tell me that I can't know it sucks till I've finished it.
Role

Post by Role »

Extreme bias? I'm not drooling all over it, I'm just saying it's good. The difference between me and you is that I didn't already have a mindset that I was going to hate the game when I got it. Perhaps that's why you never gave it a chance?

Anyways, we're already getting off topic. This is SUPPOSED to be a topic on whether or not you actually liked the plot. Now it's clear that I liked it, and that Raww didn't... What are some other people's views?
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

The difference between me and you is that I didn't already have a mindset that I was going to hate the game when I got it. Perhaps that's why you never gave it a chance?
Yeah, that's the only reason anyone could dislike the game. Not cause... *GASP* cause they actually find it to be bad??!?!?!

Maybe you should try sticking to talking about things you actually have a clue about? If you bothered looking around you'd see that I was defending the game prior to it's japanese release, but upon playing it I found out that it was actually a bad game. Imagine that.

And please. Not drooling over it? Read your first post again. "WOW WOW LOVING"
Egbert Aethelbald

Post by Egbert Aethelbald »

Still pretty early but I'm enjoying it so far. The Infinity stuff is pretty interesting.

Main character could seriously benefit from shutting up though.
amelia108

Post by amelia108 »

the story is cool at parts and did occasionally surprise me, but it just doesn't play out that great in the end.
Matt620

Post by Matt620 »

The plot itself is okay, but the concept of the Infinity and the One King is what played it down for me. If it was just defeating the Order, it would have seemed infinitely more like the other games. But with that, it gets too universal for a Suiko. I've always considered a Suikoden to be about a region.

But when I turn that part out, it works out just fine for me.
-M
Belcoot4

Post by Belcoot4 »

I think Role is right, for what its worth its an overall good game. Most people probaly did go in with the mindset that they would hate it before even playing it. Thats a stupid way to go about things and to me, if you played it, you sound just like the order "oh this game sucks cuz everyone says it does boo hoo". If you thought you really hated it imagine if they did decide to title it Suikoden 6 how would you feel then? Thats why they named it Tierkreis its a different story but still retaining "Suikoden" like qualities. I almost went down the same road as a bunch of you guys with SIV I'm glad I did play it because if I listened to everyone else I would have missed out on another good game.
Matt620 wrote:The plot itself is okay, but the concept of the Infinity and the One King is what played it down for me. If it was just defeating the Order, it would have seemed infinitely more like the other games. But with that, it gets too universal for a Suiko. I've always considered a Suikoden to be about a region. But when I turn that part out, it works out just fine for me.
I agree with that, when I think about Suikoden I think about many countries, a place kind of like Earth. Like I said above they called it Tierkreis and you can think of that how ever you may. A short story with in the Suikoden series, maybe these events took place well before SIV, or maybe it has no connection at all. Accept the game for what it is which is definitly not a bad game and look forward to S6 in the near future.
"Even the dead reveal their secrets to me." Yuber

"I have not lived long enough to become a myth." Chris Lightfellow

"They betrayed us and fled. Cowards." Zegai
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

Sorry for bumping an old topic, but I'd like to just bring up something I noticed as I am finally near the end of Tierkreis (yeah, it took me more than a year to finish this game).

The whole plot involving the main bad guy (Belfried?) seemed like a total copy of Graham Cray. Did anybody else feel the same? The whole idea of wanting to go back to some past when he was with his family seems to be really quite exactly the same as Graham Cray's reason for wanting the Rune of Punishment. The only problem is Graham Cray is definitely a better villain than the Tierkreis villain.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Didn't think of it when I was playing, due to the sheer horror of the experience probably, but now that you mention it. Yeah, it does seem like a complete copy of Cray.

And he's the only villian that even gets some sort of motivation in the game...
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

A lot of characters seem like watered down versions of ones from other games. Like they took what they believed to be an "all-star" cast (pun intended, I guess) and made them "newbie-friendly" (i.e. water their background down). The only character I truly found original was the hero, since he's the first Tenkai who's talked out loud in his respective game since Thomas.
Formerly known as: Gothann