Five hours in: a battle you're allowed to lose?

A forum to ask questions if you are stuck in Suikoden Tierkreis; or wish for more clarity with the gameplay systems.
vilkacis

Five hours in: a battle you're allowed to lose?

Post by vilkacis »

I'm just over 5 hours in and the Church of Scientology just tried to burn down my peaceful peasant village for the second time. (...well, something along those lines, anyway.)

Since the fight with the invading forces was a massive difficulty hike (although "massive" from "win everything on autobattle with no damage" doesn't really mean much) and I just gained 10 levels from a single fight with those guys, I'm curious... would it be possible to lose this fight without a game over? (I'd have checked, but I saved over the file I had from before the fight before I thought of it.) And if so, would anything interesting happen if you did?
patapi
Forum Moderator

Re: Five hours in: a battle you're allowed to lose?

Post by patapi »

Scientology?
vilkacis

Post by vilkacis »

I thought it would be rather obvious that I was talking about the Order of the One True Way, what with them being the only ones trying to invade Citro village five hours into the game. <_<
ObsidianTK

Post by ObsidianTK »

Do you mean the second time you defend the castle, where you split into three parties and each party has one fight? I didn't try losing any of those fights, but from what Asad said afterwards, I assume they would have taken care of it if you lose. And yeah, my lowest level party had trouble there, and anyone who wasn't already level 20 before the fight got there.
vilkacis

Post by vilkacis »

That's the one. And yeah, Asad's line was part of what made me wonder.

I had Jale go up against three guys by himself and jump from lv17 to 27. It took ten more hours before the others even started to catch up. It was pretty funny.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

i'm not sure it's possible to beat the unbeatable enemies because the damage they take is so reduced... it's almost impossible just to score 100 points of damage in 2 rounds (some character strong atks might deal over 20, but most hits will be less than 10), and they usually end in 2-3 rounds. if we use a cheat device there might be a way to beat them and get some different scene, though....
vilkacis

Post by vilkacis »

It's not the unbeatable fights I'm talking about (since you're obviously "allowed" to lose those), but the beatable ones against generic mooks that give out huge amounts of XP when you kill them.

Doesn't seem like anyone actually lost to them, though. Or maybe if they did, they're ashamed to admit it. :lol:

(Not to say I wouldn't be interested in finding out if something happens if you do kill the unbeatable enemies, too...)
ObsidianTK

Post by ObsidianTK »

An interesting note about the unbeatable enemies:
[Spoilers]

When fighting Sophia and Nova outside HQ to recover the Chronicles that were stolen, even though it's a timed fight that you can't win, I managed to "kill" Nova -- but instead of dying, the same thing happens to him that happens to Renegades, all your attacks just start doing zero damage until the battle's time runs out and the story continues.
Geddes

Post by Geddes »

Sadly I thought it would be an excellent idea to put all of my weaker characters into one party for this event. I lost one of the three battles and still won the event.
vilkacis

Post by vilkacis »

Geddes: I suspected as much. Good to know.

ObsidianTK: Interesting. That's a little disappointing, but not entirely unexpected.